Akin, Ryan and the GOP Share the Same Abortion Agenda

My Wednesday column covers the Republican Party platform plank on abortion and determines that there’s no difference between Akin and the GOP and the Romney ticket.

The Republican Party is assembling its platform in preparation for the big convention starting next week. With horrendous timing, the party issued the following plank regarding abortion, via CNN:

“Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed,” the draft platform declares. “We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.”

I should note here that there’s nothing legally binding about the Declaration and, by the way, the founders only mentioned “all men” as being equal. Women couldn’t own land or vote. Neither could any people of color. Surely there wasn’t any intention in the document to include zygotes as possessing the self-evident truths of equality and unalienable rights. Seriously, the Republicans are ostensibly strict constructionists when it comes to the founding documents and so they see no room for modern interpretation or redefinition of the Declaration or Constitution — except when it comes to this and the unregulated marketing of assault rifles.

Either way, this is the Republican Party position. This is Todd Akin’s position, too. Continue reading here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

      haha…………..honestly, should this GOP vision of zygotes {with the same rights that you and I have} ever reach it’s full potential, I suspect you’ll see a mass exodus from the U.S..

      Other countries will in turn ban the GOP/Christian zealots from crossing their borders for fear that they’ll settle down and make themselves comfy.

      Only half kidding……

    Bob, one of your very best pieces ever! Thank you.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    In a new book about the Obama campaign it talks about how the presidents biggest concern is that if Romney won he would probably have the chance to replace two liberal justices with the likes of Alito and Scalia. Think what a disaster that would be for not only women’s rights by everyone person’s rights verses the ‘rights’ of corporations.

  • Brutlyhonest

    On the cbs evening news last night, they went to great lengths to sugar-coat the gop platform plank and the romney position. At least they “balanced” that by airing a clip of Elizabeth Warren clearly stating, as you do, that akin’s position IS the gop position.

  • Zen Diesel

    Silly women wanting control over your own bodies. Don’t you realize that you have evolved to honor and respect rich wackadoodles like Mittens. At least that is what some dumbass from the National Review thinks.

    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/22/national-review-women-evolved-to-prefer-superior-rich-men-like-romney/

      “you have evolved to honor, respect and serve”

      FTFY

  • Brutlyhonest

    Taking their ridiculousness re: life begins at fertilization, every time a woman miscarries, tehjeebus performs another abortion!

    Bob, very good article. I wrote a post about this issue too, basically saying the same thing that you did except for one difference….I don’t think Akin made a mistake when he said “legitimate” instead of “forcible” because that’s what he thinks forcible rape is…the only legitimate, i.e., real form of rape. That’s precisely what his history on the issue indicates.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I wish somebody would explain to me how “forcible” is better than “legitimate”,

        Yes, that was my point. It doesn’t matter whether he said either one….it means the same damn thing and demonstrates his misogyny either way.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    So if we men were to masturbate into a handful of Kleenex, would we not be committing murder on a grand scale? Or are we men excused because, well, we’re men?

  • bphoon

    Hold it here–I thought the broad elements of the GOP, not so long ago, wanted to repeal the Fourteenth Amendment…