But Al Gore is Fat and it Snows Sometimes!

The news on the climate crisis keeps getting worse:

July was the hottest month in the continental United States on record, beating the hottest month in the devastating Dust Bowl summer of 1936, the U.S. government reported on Wednesday.

It was also the warmest January-to-July period since modern record-keeping began in 1895, and the warmest 12-month period, eclipsing the last record set just a month ago, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said.

This is the fourth time in as many months that U.S. temperatures broke the hottest-12-months record.

Our advancements in clean energy aren’t anywhere near being able to mitigate it, and there’s little or no public outrage — just resignation and redneck defiance.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    This ostrich approach to the environment is biting us in the ass even as we speak. People don’t want to address it because they don’t want to understand the simple idea of cause and effect for this problem. It’s too inconvenient…too expensive to change the infrastructure of various technologies.

    What’s ignored due to being willfully ignorant or beligerant to facts is the cost of doing nothing…of not changing the means of operating various technologies (when I say technologies I mean Energy, Food, Manufacturing, etc). Wait until the boot *really* drops and see how expensive THAT will end up being. Not just fiscally either.

    To me it’s awfully hard to ignore the melting ice caps, wildfires, water depletion, crop failure, extreme weather, and so on. Yes, the economy is slow and is on everyone’s mind. It’s the most popular topic right now. The Environment…well…that’s the single most important topic…and by and large, it’s ignored.

    My fear is that it may be too late but I’ll continue to do my part in trying to mitigate the damage done, promote cleaner ways of living, and avoid shitting where I eat.

    We only have one home.

    For all values of “redneck defiance” = “Christofascist propagandizement”

    I think that we were wrong about the time frame, or rather, thinking that there was still time to mitigate the damage. It seems that it’s happening much more rapidly now. Mind boggling.

    In mid-July, an astonishing, estimated 97 percent of the ice sheet covering Greenland was melting due to a high temperature dome of warm air. Scientists at NASA noticed this late in July, and were shocked at what they found.

    Most of Greenland is a big ice sheet. In the summer, large areas of its surface melt, though much of the water quickly re-freezes. Under more normal conditions, 40 or 50 percent of the area can have melting, but virtually the entire ice sheet melting was unprecedented. The 97% area was so extraordinary that the scientists who first discovered this initially thought that there was a problem with the satellites providing the data, and they didn’t release the information until they had checked their findings with two other instruments.

    The melting took place exceptionally rapidly, as well. “The melting spread quickly. Melt maps derived from the three satellites showed that on July 8, about 40 percent of the ice sheet’s surface had melted. By July 12, 97 percent had melted.”

    Quote from ecogeek.org

    • Draxiar

      Thanks for the link

      *wink*

  • http://twitter.com/OrgAnnex OrgAnnex

    As long as ChemAg keeps destroying the soil, climate change will continue to be exacerbated. I’ve long recommended transitioning all farms to organic.
    http://www.organnex.com/transition-to-organic.html

  • Peter Pajakowski

    Remember when Senator Inhofe and his guilts built that snow fort in DC and named it “Al Gore’s Igloo” when it snowed miserably a winter or two ago? Gawd I would love someone to ask him about that in an interview….

    • zirgar

      Sure, his name is Jim Inhofe, but JACK Inhofe is a better name for him.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I wonder how the sales of his book that was supposed to blow the lid off the whole global warming “scam” are doing.