Judge Strikes Down Ohio Early Voting Restrictions

More good news — for the third day in a row, voter suppressionists have suffered another setback.

U.S. District Judge Peter Economus has restored the early voting rights of Ohio voters and categorically rejected the Romney campaign challenge that President Obama was somehow trying to restrict the rights of veterans.

U.S. District Judge Peter Economus ruled that restoring a voting window for the three days before the election “does not deprive [Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act] voters from early voting” but instead “places all Ohio voters on equal standing.”

Economus pointed out that thousands of Ohio voters cast their ballots in-person during the three-day period before the 2008 election.

“This Court finds that ‘in-person early voting’ is a voting term that had included the right to vote in person through the Monday before Election Day, and, now, thousands of voters who would have voted during those three days will not be able to exercise their right to cast a vote in person,” Economus wrote. “Plaintiffs submit statistical studies to support their assertion that low-income and minority voters are disproportionately affected by the elimination of those voting days.”

I’m shocked — shocked! — to learn that yet another voter suppression law has been found to be discriminatory.

Was it intentionally discriminatory? Judge Economus doesn’t say, but I’ll give you one guess.

For the Romney campaign to continue repeating the lie that President Obama seeks to restrict the voting rights of service members and veterans, Team Romney will also have to explain-away the ruling of the court in addition to the ruling of fact-checkers.

Team Romney said this week that their campaign “won’t be dictated by fact-checkers,” but it would require them to be more cavalier to dismiss the court’s findings*.

*that doesn’t mean they won’t

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Wikipedia sez: “Economus was nominated to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio by President Bill Clinton ….”

    Therefore, he’s clearly an unqualified, activist judge who was only nominated because he’s a liberal. Or something. I’m sure the RNC will have a statement denouncing Judge Economus ready in a matter of minutes.

    Seriously, though, this is very good news.

    –alopecia

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    What a terrible week to be a voter suppressionist or a Republican.

    But I repeat myself.

    Does this mean that those two Board of Elections guys that were fired by Husted will be reinstated?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Probably not, since that question wasn’t before the court. But I hope they both file wrongful termination suits.