Just Another Isolated Incident?

A routine murder trial in Georgia took an unexpected turn today after it was revealed that the men on trial for murdering a fellow servicemember and his girlfriend murdered them to cover up their plot to assume control of Fort Stewart and assassinate President Obama.

LUDOWICI, Ga. (AP) — Four Army soldiers based in southeast Georgia killed a former comrade and his girlfriend to protect an anarchist militia group they formed that stockpiled assault weapons and plotted a range of anti-government attacks, prosecutors told a judge Monday.

Prosecutors in rural Long County, near the sprawling Army post Fort Stewart, said the militia group composed of active duty and former U.S. military members spent at least $87,000 buying guns and bomb components and was serious enough to kill two people — former soldier Michael Roark and his 17-year-old girlfriend, Tiffany York — by shooting them in the woods last December in order to keep its plans secret. [...]

The prosecutor said the militia group had big plans. It plotted to take over Fort Stewart by seizing its ammunition control point and talked of bombing the Forsyth Park fountain in nearby Savannah, she said. In Washington state, she added, the group plotted to bomb a dam and poison the state’s apple crop. Ultimately, prosecutors said, the militia’s goal was to overthrow the government and assassinate the president.

Remember the Department of Homeland Security memo on right-wing extremists? The one that placed an emphasis on the vulnerability of veterans to recruitment? The one everyone condemned?

You don’t kill people to cover up your plans and spend $87,000 on guns and bombs if you aren’t serious.

The Republicans, including Mitt Romney just recently, have spent the last four years courting the idea that President Obama is an illegitimate president. And the notion, propagated by Fox News and talk radio, that voter fraud is rampant serves to reinforce the idea that a second term would not only be illegitimate but also stolen.

If he wins re-election, this kind of incident will become more frequent.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    And your instant wingnut response will be….”Clearly another fabricated plot by the Obama administration to turn American against these patriots and continue his assault on the Second Amendment.”

    • D_C_Wilson

      To be proclaimed at a Megadeath concert near you.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Metaphorically speaking, the GOP has been holding a gun to the country’s head for the past four years, saying “Put a Republican back in the White House or else.”

    • muselet

      As George Harrison said on The Simpsons, “It’s been done.”

    The bushCo comissioned report said rw groups would target veterans (and active duty) for recruitment.

    These yahoos were serious, but also seriously incompetent.

  • Staci Bass

    Remember the Department of Homeland Security memo on right-wing extremists? The one that placed an emphasis on the vulnerability of veterans to recruitment? The one everyone condemned?

    My first thought when I read this earlier today.

  • mrbrink

    These are the people who win, if president Obama loses.

    Domestic terrorists, economic and electoral saboteurs, and white supremacists and they expect America to hand them the keys to absolute power based upon their willingness to sabotage the economy and plunge us into chaos. The leaders of lies and fraud.

    Threats of violence toward the President and Liberals; threats to women and children; Threats to gays, Muslims, the elderly, the poor, abortion doctors. Threats to overthrow civil rights and the social contract. Threats to scientific research. Threats to the separation of church and state. Threats to world peace.

    This is a violent, belligerent political party positioning themselves as saviors of “America’s soul.” So, more rape and torture, please!

    And when they talk about military greatness, they’re not talking about all the suicide, rape, and white supremacists rising through the ranks because the GOP lives in fairy tale America where everything can be solved if just elect more Republicans and divert more wealth to the filthy rich.

    Proven enemies of democracy, and therefore, enemies of freedom.

    They’re running on a platform where everyone suffers, so that people like Mitt Romney can “succeed,” holding down the country so spoiled little rich kid Mitt Romney can get in a few cheap cowardly kicks to the stomach.

    Bullies, liars, cowards, cheats, and thieves and they’re beating down the doors of democracy like an angry mob of infinitely sore losers.

    But Mr. Gated Community intends to bring about a forcible unity, where critics are marginalized and the house lights are turned off during debate. And if we don’t like all the torture, rape, and attacks on women and minorities and civil rights, the torture and rape party is going to continue water boarding America until we see it their way.

    This is a corporate coup taking place in this election right now. Might as well throw in military coup at this point. They’ve tried everything else.

      I have to quote you on this one.

      I’ve been thinking about a post re what’s really at stake in this election. I wonder if the average person reading online understands or if they think that many of us are simply engaging in hyperbole.

      I don’t know the answer to that, but i feel like we have to try to convince as many people as possible in order to increase the level of liberal enthusiasm (or at least increase the level of involvement).

  • villemar

    There is a new group of psychopaths that I’ll call “False Flaggers” who have this idea that the Diabolical Monster OHitlermba will fabricate an assassination attempt on himself in order to gain sympathy and/or set up Martial Law and cancel the elections. Because he’s crafty like that.

      Seriously?

      I received an email from a firebagger group today planning an event at the DNC convention. They’re going to protest the president because of the drones.

      Sheesh…….I can’t stand these morons.

      • villemar

        Well I’m sure those winners will really captivate American hearts & minds. Shades of Rush’s “Operation Chaos” back in 2008…the pathetic thing is that there are numbskulls who actually ran with that for the past 4 years.

    The hate in this country is just out of hand. Did you all see that horrible image of the President being lynched that someone posted on Facebook? Thank goodness it was only up for a couple of hours before tons of people petitioned Facebook to take it down. I was so shocked when I saw it that I felt like throwing up. Now I am just furious.

      I’m glad I didn’t see it. To see him, our brilliant, kind, wonderful president in that context………I don’t even want to imagine.