Known Race-Baiter Calls Matthews ‘Racist’

Whenever there’s talk of racist dog-whistles, Newt Gingrich pops up and dismisses the charges.

“Why do you assume food stamp refers to black? What kind of racist thinking do you have?” Gingrich said as Matthews tried unsuccessfully to interrupt him. “Wait a second, you’re being a racist because you assume it refers to black.”

Matthews said Gingrich and the GOP’s rhetoric about welfare had racial undertones, rhetoric that dates back to President Ronald Reagan.

“This is a history we have here,” Matthews said. “And this lingo is so clear to every African American watching right now.”

Gingrich disagreed.

“So we’re not allowed to tell the truth about food stamps?” he said. “Come on, give me a break.”

No, Newt, the Republican “welfare” and “birth certificate” and “food stamp” nonsense is racist because you and Romney believe the white conservative base will rally around you because you’re with them and not with African American freeloaders/welfare queens/etc. All we’re doing is calling out a commonly used Republican tactic (Southern Strategy).

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Whenever liberals call the Rs out on their race-baiting, they have a built-in response:

    NO U!

    • i_a_c

      To add to this, fuckwit Jan Brewer has this to say:

      “He panders to them [Latinos],” Brewer said. “Look what he’s done: he hasn’t secured the borders.”

      Another in the long list of rightwing lies. Everybody who doesn’t eat, sleep, and breathe Fox News knows that the president has increased border security and increased deportations, whether you agree with that policy or not.

      And this, from Politico:

      Asked directly if she thought the president was race-baiting, Brewer said: “Absolutely, I do. There’s no doubt in my mind.”

      In other words, NO U!

      • Staci Bass

        Funny, as I listen to my train conductor, who happens to be Mexican, complain that the Obama administration is deporting more people EVAH, there is Jan Brewer. I wonder if she is aware of how many small business owners in Arizona actively fought the e-verify stuff and has to be at least partially to blame for the number of employed illegal people in that state.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Of course. The only real racism on Planet Wingnuttia is pointing out racism.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    More child-in-the-principal’s-office deflection.

  • Ned F

    If Newt wanted to talk truth about food stamps, taking the implied racial stereotype out the equation, he could easily quote USDA statistics showing food stamp use by whites is 36% as opposed to 22% for blacks, 10% for hispanics.

    • bphoon

      That would require him to buttress his argument with actual facts, which is anathema to what serves as “conservative” these days.

  • zirgar

    Sorry, Newt, but Matthews was simply referring to blah people.

  • rob black

    The Newt: Once again living up to C.P.’s description: “What a stupid man thinks a smart man sounds like”. Newt takes it to new levels with his complete bullshit dog whistle term for the president, tailor made for “conservative intellectuals”. The President is actually “anti-colonial” (as if there was such a thing in the 21rst century), because he holds some deep seated resentment of white people, due to his fathers opposition to imperial vestiges in Africa, long before the President was ever born.
    As Lee Atwater would have put it: He cant just call the president a n**er, so he can call him “the food stamp president” to the knuckle dragging base, and “anti-colonial” to the upper class bigots in the Peggy Noonan / George Will media set.
    Newt’s mere existence as a leader in the Republican party says more about how degenerated they are as an ideology than maybe anything else. Any decent movement would have run him out on a rail years ago….but he is hero to the rethug party establishment.

  • muselet

    It’s not just Newt Gingrich. It’s Tuesday, so the LA Dog Trainer ran Jonah Goldberg’s latest column, titled “Dems play the race card” (no, I’m not providing a link, are you mad?).

    Lefties are racist because we notice Righties saying and doing racist things. Welcome to Bizarro World.

    –alopecia