Mitt Romney’s Birth Certificate Remark

I don’t mean to step on Ashby’s toes on this, but I was actually shocked by Romney’s birth certificate crack — and the Republicans rarely shock me any more.

“No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.”

What’s astonishing is that this might be the first time a Republican has made the direct connection between physical appearance — race — and the birth certificate Birther nonsense. As Ashby wrote, I’m white and so no one thinks I’m a foreigner. And, naturally, the white crowd went crazy with enthusiasm, as did Rush Limbaugh.

Everybody knows that fringe right-wing conspiracy wackaloons have been demanding the president’s birth certificate for four years solely because of his race. To reference the “birth certificate” buzzwords then to suggest that people know you were born and raised in Michigan, USA implies that we don’t know where President Obama was born and raised. (Normal, sane, non-racist people know the president was born and raised in Hawaii.) In other words, President Obama isn’t one of us — he isn’t part of the “we” who were “born and raised” in America.

This was no joke. It was calculated by the Romney campaign. And now, the Republican nominee for president has mainstreamed this conspiracy theory and greenlit its usage in normal political discourse. Racist, Southern Strategy tactics have officially been endorsed by Mitt Romney — and he should be held accountable by the press and by rationally-thinking voters on both sides for this. This awfulness has no place in 2012 politics, unless, of course, our goal as a nation is to reward people who engage in racial division and mob hatred of non-whites.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://JCohenMusic.com Justin Cohen

    When I first heard of the comment, I thought it was no big deal. I innocently thought it could be someone who was proud to be born and raised in one place comparing themselves with someone who moved as a baby. But after reading your post and watching the tape, I’m convinced otherwise.

    This wasn’t an off the cuff remark. This was part of Romney’s scripted speech.

    When you script something, you have the opportunity to reflect on it and see how it might be perceived. Scripting a birth certificate comment into Romney’s speech was a deliberate attempt to maintain the path he’s blazed with those not so subtle “foreign” comments and his outright lying welfare attack ads.

    This man is consistently abhorrent.

  • i_a_c

    Racist, Southern Strategy tactics have officially been endorsed by Mitt Romney — and he should be held accountable by the press and by rationally-thinking voters on both sides for this.

    Nope, Andrea Mitchell is too busy saying that Mr. Obama’s Seamus the dog joke and Joe Biden’s chains remark means that both sides are the same.

      Did she really do that?

      • i_a_c

        I’m pretty sure that’s what I heard. Let me see if I can find a video.

      • i_a_c

        Okay, I hallucinated the Joe Biden part, but at 1:55 or so, she pretty clearly makes the equivalence between the birther comment and the Seamus joke.

        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3096434/#48781211

  • mzmijewski

    We don’t need his birth certificate but I would like to see his magic underwear. Unless of course, he really does not wear them.

    • Staci Bass

      I would just like to see the 2009 tax return.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        I’d like to see more of his tax returns than just 2009′s.

        WHERE’S THE TAX RETURNS, MITT?!!

  • WRinDTW

    This is all part of what I call the “Monkey Feces Campaign”.

    Now that the tea party seems to be in the driver’s seat, the Romney campaign is embracing every lunatic, far-right-extremist idea possible. As we see, he’s just gone ‘full-birther’ himself, it’s no longer enough for him to quietly stand by while others do the dirty work for him. The party has drafted an official anti abortion plank – no exceptions, and an anti-gay marriage plank, etc. He and Ryan continues to flat-out lie about healthcare, Medicare, the rescue of Detroit, the debt. Even whackos like Joe Arpaio and Joe the not-plumber have been invited to the convention, and on and on.

    I think their strategy is to hoot and holler and throw every piece of shit they can grab off the floor of their cage at Obama: lies, craziness, extremism, you name it, hoping that enough will stick just long enough to tip the scales in their favor. Then, to top it off, they’ll disenfranchise as many voters as possible to give themselves a margin of error.

    I think we ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

    • i_a_c

      I think you’re right. I’ll pay 2:1 if Reverend Wright doesn’t make an appearance in campaign ads.

      • nathkatun7

        Rev. Wright is coming soon. These right wingers are sly. First they enlisted their media enablers to condemn the President for running a dirty campaign. All along, this was a set up to unleash these despicable tactics. Now the media would be saying that it was President Obama’s fault. You already see the false equivalence by people like TeaNN’s Acosta.

      • mrbrink

        Joe Ricketts, owner of the Cubs, was threatening just months ago to drop at least $10 million on anti-Barack Hussein Obama ads featuring Rev. Wright. It’s like they’ve got Mongo waiting just outside Rock Ridge.

        I think it’s fair to say that every ad they put out already has a little Rev. Wright in it.

  • pgeorge

    And funnily enough, we also know where Obama was born and raised. To suggest otherwise is to brand yourself as a hopeless panderer to racists.

  • Ned F

    In the past 20 years the GOP has had it’s share of assholes and jerks, but I’ve never seen so many dicks.

  • roxsteady

    CNN “Reporter” and resident asshole Jim Acosta who is an embed with the Romney campaign tweeted the followg:

    My read: Romney shows he can take the dog on roof stuff and dish it back,”

    Tommy Christopher of Mediaite took him down for it. Just one more reason why CNN is now dead last each night behind MSNBC.

    I will tell you something else that’s no joke: The deep shame and embarrassment I feel for my country right now. The party that wants to control this nation wants to suppress voting rights for non-white people. They want to steal elections instead of win them. They want to treat women as subservient and less than human beings. They want to treat minorities the same way. And worse than all that–they believe they are right about everything and the rest of the free-thinking members of this country are wrong. They are no different than any oligarchy or dictatorship on this planet. Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Saudi Arabia–you name the place–they are worse. The American voter had better geit their heads out of their asses and start listening to what is being said by responsible people. Yes, the shame I feel when my President is disparaged and disrespected in this way is real and palpable. Sons of bitches…

      Exactly how I feel. Thank you.

      I didn’t think I could hate these fucking assholes more, but I do now!

        If Willard wins, I very well may leave to live in another country. I used to joke about that; now I am seriously considering it.

          i hear ya. I’ve been giving it some thought myself.

            I would be right behind but I am stuck here. Maybe when my kids go off the college in 16 years. LOL

            Yeah, kids do limit your ability to uproot yourself! :)

  • missliberties

    Nothing like a little niggerizing to ‘fire’ up the base. Don’t forget the rope!

    Watching Wonder Boy, Paul Ryan, rally his troops, I had to shade my eyes. The glare from all that white gave me a headache.

      Nothing like a little niggerizing to ‘fire’ up the base. Don’t forget the rope!

      Yeah, some people definitely owe Toure a full-out apology, but you know that’s not going to happen. These people are just despicable.

    • Staci Bass

      Yet, last week when Toure said that what the Republicans are doing is the niggerization of Obama, Romney went straight to the fainting couch.

      I say again, is it possible to hate somebody you don’t know personally?

      Oops, I didn’t see Nicole’s post above.

    The timing of this makes me think it may be to distract attention from this: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    (document dump at Gawker–Romney-Bain financial docs)

  • http://twitter.com/theMittFlops theMittFlops

    Will Mitt be asked to present a copy of his birth certificate before inheriting his very own planet?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cosmology

    Submitted by:

    http://www.themittflops.com

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Richard Nixon was never asked for his birth certificate either.
    What’s your point tax dodger?

    • nathkatun7

      Forget Nixon. George Romney, Mitt’s father, was never asked to show his birth certificate when he ran for president in 1968; and George was actually born in Mexico.