Newt Gingrich Piles On the Welfare Reform Attack

If there’s an opportunity for Very Serious Newt Gingrich to use the welfare issue as a dog-whistle, he jumps on it faster than a new wife. This time, in particular, he totally went nuts about the latest Romney lie that President Obama is “gutting” welfare reform (he’s NOT).

Newt Gingrich accused President Obama on Wednesday of a secret “radical” plot to end work requirements in welfare reform. [...]

“I think on the hard left, there is an unending desire to create a dependent America,” Gingrich said.

“It’s not just that Obama is a radical, it’s that the people he appoints are more radical,” he said. [...]

Gingrich also gushed of his former target: “I hope every American when they watch Bill Clinton speak will realize how much weaker and less effective Obama is than the man who is nominating him.” He called Obama “a direct threat to my two grandchildren’s future.”

Yes. By doing something that was far less extensive than the measures which 28 Republicans asked for, President Obama is a direct threat to Newt’s grandchildren. Personally.

Uh-huh.

But we really know what Newt is doing here. He’s hears “welfare” and just can’t wait to play the Southern Strategy card. He did it throughout the primaries and now, I assume, he’s jockying for either a VP spot or a sweet position on the RNC stage.

  • http://www.broadwaycarl.com Broadway Carl

    Newt who?

  • zirgar

    Arrogant grandstanding–defining your own virtue by how magnificent your adversary was. I guess the implication being, that since Obama never had to face Newt in the DC corridors of power that Obama is just an effete poseur because obviously Newt would’ve eaten him alive. Or something. “Back in my day, yadda, yadda, yadda…”

    • stacib23

      Sooo, Romney kicked the shit outta Newt and Obama is kicking the shit outta Mitt – does that mean that Obama can also kick the shit outta Newt? Just wondering.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        It would be an ugly sight to see, Obama kicking the shit outta Newt. And we’d all demand more of it! >:D

    For some reason, whenever I think of Newt, I envision cauliflower….

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I envision a bucket of lard.

      • Brutlyhonest

        I vote sack of shit.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    This, ladies and gentleman, is how an out of touch weasel like Mitt Romney got the Republican nomination for president in the first place. He looks so better than the likes of Gingrich, Santorum, Cain, Perry, et al who were running against him. And that doesn’t say much.

  • muselet

    Attention is Newt Gingrich’s drug of choice. He ran for President not because he thought he could win, but because his public profile was insufficiently prominent (increasingly Hitchcockian, yes, sufficiently prominent, no). Now his addiction has returned with a vengeance, so we can expect to hear much more from him in the months to come.

    What a sad little man.

    –alopecia