Paul Ryan Winks and Nods to Conspiracy Theorists

Yesterday I said this is barely outside the mainstream. Today it is the mainstream.

Paul Ryan argued that President Obama’s foreign policy is “to subjugate ourselves to the United Nations” in an interview with radio host Mark Levin Wednesday night, via the Washington Post, playing on a common Republican theme that Democrats and Obama are too deferential to the U.N.

Referring to China and Russia, Ryan said: “So we are giving these two countries you mentioned — these two powers who do not share our values — undue, needless unnecessary clout because we’re running everything through the security council. That’s point No. 1.”

Russia and China joined the U.N. security council in 1946. The president hadn’t even been born yet. Furthermore, I doubt I need to point out that we aren’t “running everything through” them.

Ryan’s point No. 2 was that the upcoming sequestered defense cuts, which he voted for, will leave us vulnerable because the Navy will shrink to it’s lowest number of ships since the early 1900s. And as you may have guessed, that’s completely false.

Even if that were true, it’s not like we don’t still have thousands of nuclear weapons. We aren’t vulnerable to the coalition of Russians, Cubans, and Nicaraguans who invaded America in 1984′s Red Dawn.

But, you know, it’s a nice fantasy to entertain.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    And William F. Buckley spun in his grave, for the John Birch Society had taken complete charge of the conservative movement.

      About 22 years I worked with an old guy in law enforcement and he would start ranting and raving about Liberals and the UN and how there was some secret agenda to take over the US. He was the only person I had heard ever talk of such things and the time I seriously worried about his mental health because he was so freaking paranoid. I later realized that he was simply ignorant.

      Since then this batshit crazy theory has been spread from one gullible and uninformed idjit to another and repeated so often that it has become mainstream. I never thought I would live to see so many people, particularly in powerful and culturally influential positions, start spouting this stuff. Where will it take us as a country? I shudder to think….

  • D_C_Wilson

    So, he’s claiming that, if the cuts go through, the Navy’s ships will all disappear?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Yeah, that’s a good idea, Ryan. Piss off a country that America owes a shitload of money to for a war you approved of. That’s like doing serious business with the mob, then telling the media that they are criminal scum who should be rounded up and thrown in prison.

    What could go wrong?!!…

      Excellent metaphor!