Paul Ryan’s Speech: Lies, Lies and More Lies

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a major political speech so packed with repeatedly debunked lies, and I spent eight years following closely the mendacity of the Bush White House. I mean, Ryan repeated lies that have been broadly criticized and debunked for several weeks.

We’ve documented many of them here. The Medicare lie, the GM auto plant lie, the debt and deficit lie. There were new ones, like the lie about how the president let the Simpson-Bowles commission fail when, in fact, Ryan voted against it. Every policy-related paragraph contained either an outright lie or a misleading distortion.

So naturally it was a huge speech that fired up the Republicans who really don’t care whether an attack is honest — as long as it’s an attack.

FactCheck.org noted that Ryan…

–Accused President Obama’s health care law of funneling money away from Medicare “at the expense of the elderly.” In fact, Medicare’s chief actuary says the law “substantially improves” the system’s finances, and Ryan himself has embraced the same savings.
–Accused Obama of doing “exactly nothing” about recommendations of a bipartisan deficit commission — which Ryan himself helped scuttle.
–Claimed the American people were “cut out” of stimulus spending. Actually, more than a quarter of all stimulus dollars went for tax relief for workers.
–Faulted Obama for failing to deliver a 2008 campaign promise to keep a Wisconsin plant open. It closed less than a month before Obama took office.
–Blamed Obama for the loss of a AAA credit rating for the U.S. Actually, Standard & Poor’s blamed the downgrade on the uncompromising stands of both Republicans and Democrats.

Plus, Ryan repeatedly criticized the president for the deficit and debt when, in fact, Ryan voted for all of the Bush era policies that compose the current national debt and budget deficits.

Of course we shouldn’t expect him to note that the president has cut the deficit by $300 billion so far, with another $200 billion in deficit reduction by 2013. Of course he didn’t mention that Republican presidents presided over much steeper increases in the debt with Saint Reagan increasing the debt by 188%. He didn’t mention that the president is responsible for the lowest year-over-year growth in government spending in decades. He didn’t mention that the president signed a “paygo” law making it impossible for Congress to pass a law that’s not paid for.

And in terms of style, he totally gave audience members their first orgasm since 2001, but red meat and shouting tends to do that. As a speech, it was hackish and predictable — with weird sentences like, “The time of our choosing is drawing near.” That’s bad writing. He also mentioned “Greek columns” — a spastic meme from four years ago in which Republicans suddenly noticed that American politicians are often pictured with columns in the background, like the columns at the White House or at the Capitol.

The Republicans have tossed aside any pretense of honesty and have fully embraced a strategy of saying whatever the hell they want. And people will buy it. Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney have constructed a campaign on a mountain of lies and inconsistencies. I can’t even imagine what they’ll be like in the White House. One thing is for sure: nothing will be the same if they win.

  • freakishlystrong

    While these Republican fascists terrify me, the “news ” media is absolutely pants filling.
    From ABC; ” Paul Ryan’s RNC Speech: ‘Obama’s Moment Came and Went’
    RNC 2012: Vice presidential candidate takes jabs at President Obama’s spending habits, leadership. “

  • Aresee

    Get YOUR facts straight, you are incorrect in your staements. Mr. Ryans speech was spot-on; you, on the other hand, are nothing more than a scared liberal sheep.

    • http://www.facebook.com/martinwe Martin Edmonds

      No, you need to get YOURS straight.

      He quoted a non-biased website that is legit.

      Get off the GOP dck.

    • desertflower1

      Just because you WANT to believe the lies, don’t make them true. Educate yourself. Your aversion to facts is why anyone votes for a Republican anymore. They are no longer the party of Eisenhower and Goldwater.

      http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/08/29/770001/rnc-wednesday/

    • zirgar

      And by spot-on you mean like diarrhea stains in underwear.

      Tell you what — forget all the other lies that were pointed out. Just try to debunk *one* of them. Prove that the plant was open when Obama took office, and not (as has been — outside of political speeches — universally accepted as truth) closed before then.

    • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

      No it’s scared sniveling cowards that feel the need to lie to get into office.

      Like usual you can’t refute one thing Cesca said even though he step by step refutes Ryan’s lies.

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_S7NUGMJ2FDHYATRLWFEFCC5CQI schemata

      6 hours, and you’ve yet to refute the post, or any cite a single fact to back up YOUR sta[t]ement.

      Because you got nothin’.

      Baaa, baa.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Before you shoot your asshole off, We strongly recommend you get yourself an educated brain and look at the facts again before you come here to make an even bigger fool of yourself, Fuckface.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I wish the Romney campaign would make an honest case for itself, and/or an honest case against re-electing the President. I really do.

    Granted, I probably wouldn’t vote Republican anyway at this point, because I disagree with too much of their stated agenda (and have been paying attention for the last 25 years), and as much as I admire President Obama I sometimes feel like I’m “stuck with” the Democrats because the GOP is so divorced from reality. They can’t — or won’t — make a case for themselves, or against Democrats, without lying, without making shit up, without pretending that certain things did or did not happen (again, the paracosm).

    If I were an undecided voter, or if I were inclined to re-evaluate my voting preferences at this point, I would need the GOP and Romney to make an honest case so that I can make a fair and reasonable evaluation and comparison of what the two candidates have to offer.

    I guess what I’m saying is that the choice between Democrats and Republicans has become too easy. (I think that’s true for GOP voters/fans as well, but obviously for a different albeit related reason.) I have voted Republican in downballot races as recently as 2002 (for Pete King; don’t hate me, he was normal then), but I’m at the point now where I can’t even consider voting for them because they’ve just gone plumb loco. I don’t want it to be that easy.

    • Brutlyhonest

      You and I (and a bunch of others here) think it’s that easy to decide, but there are a lot of people out there that are apparently just too dense. To wit: The last two nights on cbs news, they have run “issues” stories with real people™ props as examples.

      Tuesday, there was a family in Las Vegas that is so far underwater on their house it’s ridiculous. Of course, they can’t refinance because they have negative equity in the house. The reporter laid out the clear contrast between the President wanting to expand the program to help people like this family refinance, and the r’s saying ot will cost too much. They played a clip of rmoney saying let people go bankrupt so investors can buy the houses and rent them to people at reasonable rates. Yet, the voters weren’t sure who to vote for.

      Wednesday’s person was a realtor in Orlando. She has survived breast cancer and is really worried about healthcare costs now and in 20+ years when she’ll need medicare. The reporter actually called out the rmoney lie about raiding medicare and talked about the r’s wanting to end medicare for a voucher program that will likely leave many people paying much more out of pocket. This woman can’t decide because she thinks rmoney can fix the economy but will make medical care tougher to get and more expensive.

      PS: I don’t hate you for your past voting record. I’ve not always voted for Ds, but above the city council level it has been no contest for me for the last decade plus. I actually voted for a tea party favorite™ in the last city council election because he’s the only one who is willing to try to stop the mayor and CC from trying to redistribute all the wealth upwards.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Mitt Romney can make all kinds of reasons (stupid ones) why Barak Obama shouldn’t be President of the United States. But he hasn’t made one genuine reason why he should be president. That’s one of the big reasons why he won’t win in November, despite what that fat idiot Michael Moore says.

    • muselet

      I’ve voted for Rs in the past. Mostly for technocratic positions, true, but I did vote for them. Once the Republican Party went off the rails, though, I decided not to vote for any R until the GOP regained its collective sanity. Hasn’t happened yet, but I live in hope.

      (In 2006, California voted for Insurance Commissioner. Steve Poizner was the Republican candidate; Cruz Bustamante, who was shall we say ethically challenged, was the Democratic candidate. I couldn’t vote for either, so I ended up voting for the candidate from the Peace & Freedom Party. True story.)

      –alopecia

  • http://twitter.com/Sweetey15 Janet ODell

    My tweet to Chuck Todd last night:

    “Janet ODell‏@Sweetey15

    @chucktodd /the only thing missing from Ryan’s speech was the goddamn TRUTH !”

    I rest my case.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Might as well tweet to a brick wall. It’s just as responsive as Chuck Todd.

  • trgahan

    I disagree, in 2008 Republicans had a similar collective orgasm over speech that included the words hockey mom, bulldogs, and lipstick. All the sudden every news network declared GOP victory and everyone was saying “You betcha!”

    Look how that turned out.

  • http://twitter.com/JimmyAbra Jimmy Abraham

    Of course the GM plant was GM trying to milk that plant for as much as they could as long as they could produce SUVs. They never had any intentions of retooling it or hope to keep it open in the long-term, unless the highly unlikely event that people kept buying gas guzzlers at the 1990s rate when gas was below $2/gallon. When locals called for them to retool and not double-down on the SUV market, they were arrogant, almost saying “if we build them they will sell.” Then the market started to slide (but propped up for a bit with the Bush SUV incentive) and they just decided it would be cheaper to get what they can, not invest in the current plant (because it is cheaper to get cheap money to build a plant from scratch in a cheaper place with cheaper labor and keep the land and building and sell that when you can). Then gas prices went over $4 in 2008 which just sped up the closure…of course all politicians tried to save it…GM and repubs blamed the unions and ignored the inhumane corporate decision. Now, they are trying to pin it on Obama? Reporting a story like that would get a reporter fired, but it can make a politician more popular with their base.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/WD7OJ2ZXOFLCFMQZMPYER565JY Candace
  • Ellen Kuhlmann

    I listened to a good analysis of Ryan’s speech and whether the lies matter or not on NPR this morning. The analyst said it won’t matter, as the only votes in play at this stage are for the very low information voters, who won’t listen to or want to hear the facts, only soundbites. So the Ryan soundbites will live on, and the only effective counterattack is a soundbite in return. One that was suggested is that where Ryan said Obama “raided” Medicare, the Dems should come back with the GOP wants to “abolish” Medicare.