Quote of the Day

One reporter shares his experience of covering yesterdays “Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day.”

I have never felt so alien in my own country as I did today while covering the restaurant’s supporters. The level of hatred, unfounded fear and misinformed people was astoundingly sad. I can’t even print some of the things people said. …

It was like broken records of Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh and a recitation of half-truths and outright lies.

Conservatism is a mental illness.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    The idea that folks flocked (hey, I just know there’s a pun in there somewhere!) to scarf down theolo-corporate chicken sandwiches in a show of solidarity with fellow haters and bigots is just sickening. WTF is wrong with these people?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    It’s not just the people attending the Chick-Fil-A appreciation day that are disturbing. Just scroll down the link to read most of the Facebook comments posted by right wing knuckleheads to realize how well driven the point Ash makes.

    This song from David Bowie says it all:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1h5av2Bj0

    • sherifffruitfly

      or go to the classic: “‘cuz love’s such an old fashioned word, and love dares you, to care for, the people on the edge of the night, and love dares you to change our way of caring about ourselves… this is ourselves…. under pressure.”

      I was just thinking the same thing about this song:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMVMNmrqJE

    • Alex0001

      Yea I was thinking if the comments there made me this irritated I can’t imagine what being at the “appreciation” day would be like. Kind regret reading the comments.

    • Draxiar

      I would like to add this one from Bowie and TM:

      Under the God
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RonKqib4sf4

  • http://twitter.com/AlanFors Alan Fors
  • Zen Diesel

    The irony is that I bet that many of those moral righteous loving Jesus Christians have no idea that the bible they read and cherish was rewritten by “homosexual, torturer and murderer “King James”.

    I have never felt so alien in my own country

    Yup. How I’ve felt for a long time now. Since the stolen election of 2000, actually. Greatly exacerbated after the election of our lovely black president.

    The right wing jumped the shark a few years back; this is just more of the same hatred and intolerance that we’ve been seeing.

  • margietalks

    I’m 59 years old. When I was around 18, my older brother asked, at the family dinner table, what a transvestite is. Amazingly enough, I knew and answered his question, while my shocked family gave me the stare down. Times have changed. People speak of homosexuality more and more casualy. Evolution is at work. I think that sometimes when we are in the middle of something like this chicken thing, it’s hard to step back and see that in actuality, we as a culture are in the middle of an evolutionary force. Times are changing. More and more people are opening up to the idea of all Americans being able to pursue happiness. I live in Indiana now and I’m sure the chick-filets were stormed around here yesterday. I followed many of my family in NC on facebook as they bragged of their filet support. The whole thing comes off as sad. And the franchises will pay a high price because now, no one will be able to look at a chick filet store or advertisement without thinking about homosexual rights. The more they think about it, the more it becomes part of our daily discourse and the less the fear dominates. So just think of all this as moving out of the water, onto the shore. As for the idiots who make cruel remarks, it’s just the fear talking.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    There are few things quite as depressing as seeing so many people take so much pride in so much hatred.

  • joseph2004

    “…gay activists are taking to the streets, or rather the Chick-fil-A parking lots, around the country for National Same Sex Kiss Day at Chick-fil-A on Friday to protest the chicken chain’s opposition to the LGBTQ community. “

    Some folks, in light of the Chick-fil-A flap, are suggesting that local governments start testing store owners’ personal beliefs before issuing permits. One, for example, who appears sympathetic to the idea, is Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Notice in the clip below how he’s become a values Mayor, what with the Chicago shootings and now Chick-fil-A. He doesn’t say that the CEO’s values are not his own or Chicago’s; he says Chick-fil-A’s values are not Chicago’s values. Man, talk about getting free speech confused. Here he is targeting not just the CEO for his beliefs; he’s going after anyone who works or eats there. What a jerk.

    Not surprising. Free speech is great if it’s speech you agree with, right?

    Several years ago, Barbara Streisand complained in a letter to the editor when the LA Times started carrying conservative Jonah Goldberg’s columns. It didn’t comport with her high-minded understanding of “diversity” of opinion.

    A string of videos on the Chick-fil-A subject, including New York mayor Bloomberg:

    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/chick-fil-record-setting-sales-appreciation-day/story?id=16912978

    • Lazarus Durden

      Do you have a point? Oh wait you never do. Troll on.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Dang liberals! Why are they so intolerant of our intolerance!

    • JMAshby

      And?

      I must have missed the punchline. Rahm Emanuel has my support.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Go eat your Chick-Fil-A sandwich, pig!

    • mrbrink

      Boycott is free speech.

      Why do you hate free speech?

      Rather than respecting the free speech rights of all, you’re actually taking sides against the free speech of others, and you’re doing so like an intellectual coward under the guise of concern for “free speech.”

      If you’re an anti-gay bigot, why lie? Why waste everyone’s time trying to pretend you give a shit about free speech? You don’t. Hiding behind “free speech” is just a way to legitimize and mainstream your actionable and consequential bigotry. If you’re going to use your company as a front for funding hate groups, you should expect to hear about it.

      • joseph2004

        I’ve stated here before I’m not anti-gay or gay marriage. Never have been and never will be.
        In the clip I attached, reports were that a number of mayors around the country had vowed to block Chick-fil-A from opening stores in their communities.

        Sorry, but to do so on the basis of the CEO’s personal beliefs on gay marriage (in this case paralleling about half the country’s) is a violation of his free speech and expression. That is what I was pointing to.

        Some time ago, this site took after the protestors against the “ground zero” mosque, protesters who were just exercising their constitutional right to protest. They found it distasteful that a Muslim community center was proposed in close proximity to ground zero (close enough that the building they wanted to use had been basically condemned after it had been struck by the landing gear from one of the planes – I’d call that “ground zero”). This site accused the protestors day in and day out of “infringing on the freedom of religion” of the mosque/community center organizers, and further labeled the protesters as “constitutionally illiterate.”

        It was unbelievable.

        The irony of those posts included the fact that nobody’s rights were being violated. The city council, various zoning committees — all approved the go-ahead of the Cordoba project. Had they, on the flip side, denied permits to the project – based for starters on public opinion at the time – Cordoba could have rightly sued the city for discrimination.

        The situation of mayors who vow to stop new Chick-fil-A’s is quite different from a public “boycott.” Boycott all you want – that’s your right and theirs as individuals – but as Bloomberg said in the video, it is not the role of government to screen businesses in order to eliminate those from your community whose CEO’s personal social and political beliefs don’t agree with your own. Public opinion and preferences will weed out the extremes.

        But the belief that marriage should be between a man and a woman is not a radical view. You and I may disagree with it, but as many people in America carry the view that gay marriage is wrong as do not.

        Sorry if you don’t agree. Guess you’ll just have to live with it.

          You do know that you’re a disingenuous piece of shit, right?

          • joseph2004

            Hey, only Nicole473 is allowed to say those kinds of things to me.

            So BUZZ OFF!

            So now you’re trying to deny me my FREEDOM™ of Speech, Señor Disimulado?

            Thou’rt disingenuous because you keep using a blatant falsehood to support your argument: viz., that people who are anti-CFA are so because of what some dude said.

            It’s not that, and you know it. Unless, of course, you really are that dumb of a shit ( ®GrafZep).

            It’s because, you miserable pile of excrement, that the corporation is donating monies to groups that support hatred, bigotry, intolerance and murder.

            Now, dissembler, either get your facts straight and attempt to argue from there, or crawl the fuck back under whatever rock you live and leave the rest of us alone.

          • mrbrink

            The victim card/complex is all too typical of right wing ideology. That’s how they win.

            CEOs and their Corporations are the victims, here!

            Who weeps for the victims of their hate?

        • mrbrink

          As much as you want it to be, this isn’t a freedom of speech issue. This isn’t a matter of what you say, or believe. Believe and say whatever you want. Most right wingers do. When you’re using company resources to fund hate groups intended to shut the door on civil rights, rather than expand them, using the law and electoral politics as a tool for disenfranchisement, you’re in the wrong. That’s not America. That’s more along the lines of theocracy. This is an ideological war on real people being waged by artificial entities with endless life spans and treasuries. You spend enough money convincing people this is a freedom of speech issue, idiots like you fall for it.

          The day we allow you to win the day with weak arguments that distract from the real issue of corporate sponsored bigotry and racism is the day America dies.

          Your beliefs are irrelevant. Equal protection, on the other hand is very relevant if we’re still living in America.

          And community leaders are elected to protect their communities from these types of chicken fuckers. There’s no redo for Chick Fil A. The CEO, like most CEOs, have damaged his brand with a big mouth and big bucks and has put unnecessary pressure on my community to turn a blind eye to corporate sponsored bigotry and hate just to have some minimum wage jobs. We say, “no thanks”.

          Chick Fil is an unelected corporation profiting from intolerance. Community leaders are in their right to defend their communities from the hate-invasion.

          • joseph2004

            You spend enough money convincing people this is a freedom of speech issue, idiots like you fall for it.

            Idiots like me?

            Idiots like me recognize that there are going to be opinions out there I don’t like, even find abhorant. But legislating away opinions I don’t agree with is itself “a wrong.”

            The protests against Chick-fil-A are the legitimate means of showing opposition to what the CEO said. If Chick-fil-A is harmed by it, anyone with a little experience with these things could have advised the CEO to keep his beliefs to himself and avoid harming the company. He chose not to, so he and the company are facing the consequences. He’s landed in the court of public opinion, and that’s where this battle deserves to be fought.

            So be it. He got what he deserved. I don’t agree that the company itself should die for it, while I find it somewhat surprising that you would go so far as to suggest that a few minimum wage jobs wouldn not be missed. Of course, they would by someone. (AZ and the boycott against it followed the same logic – The principle of the thing was what the protesters and boycotters maintained. But like lots of such knee-jerk responses, their actions probably hurt the very people they were on record for wanting to defend much more than any politician they wanted to take down).

            My main gripe is concerning public officials who have the attitude that they can use their power to impose restrictions on companies or individuals for simply speaking out.

            You said below, “When your gay-bashing stick says, ‘free speech,’ you have a sick sense of freedom.”

            Unless I’m misreading you on this, you seem to be saying that in some cases, we ought not to have the right to speak. But freedom is just freedom. Freedom to be against gay marriage is no less “freedom” than is freedom to advocate for it.
            Freedom includes some nastiness. Hell, you’ve called me “asshole,” “dumbass,” “idiot” any number of times in this forum. I consider it rather stupid. But I’m sure that to you, hey you’re just expressing yourself and by God you’ve got a right to say whatever in the hell you want however you want and nobody, not Joseph2004, Bob Cesca, nor even public official Rahm Emmanual, has a right to stop you from starting your own blog or “I hate Chick-fil-A” restaurant just because you spend a lot of time expressing your hatred for me, or for conservatives in general.

            ***
            Adding, the public opinion and preference weeding out extremes (which brink objects to below) refers to employing “the court of public opinion” rather than trying to legislate away opinions we disagree with.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            I prefer the word retard to describe you.

          • mrbrink

            Giving millions of dollars to organizations that preach violence against gays goes well beyond “just speaking out,” or expressing your views.

            That is where your ignorance, or dishonesty, lies.

            It is the active participation in seeing to it that the government never affords the gay community the same rights and protections afforded to straight couples.

            This is an equal protection matter.

            If you’re spending millions of dollars to deprive me of my constitutional rights and protections, you aren’t a free speech hero. You’re trading the rights and protections of one group of people to placate a few religious nutjobs who preach violence against their fellow Americans.

            Do you not see your contradiction?

          • mrbrink

            And when I said, “When your gay-bashing stick says, ‘free speech,’ you have a sick sense of freedom,” you did misunderstand.

            Simply put, persecution is not “free speech.”

            Adding, you would think religious organizations would be a little more sensitive to persecution.

        • mrbrink

          “Public opinion and preferences will weed out the extremes.”

          Glad you can contradict your whole premise in one post, btw.

    • Fabius_Maximus

      Folks, he’s got a point. While the company policy and the actions of its CEO should be called out as wrong, possible actions of elected officials against said company on the grounds of the beliefs of its CEO are violating his 1st amendment rights.

      What if conservative officials did the same to companies endorsing LGBT rights? You’d be all up in arms about this (and rightly so, I might add).

      • JMAshby

        The real slippery slope is saying its okay to discriminate against certain customers or potential employees.

        • nathkatun7

          Exactly! Businesses that serve the public should not be in the business of endorsing and supporting discrimination against a group of people. Restaurants are licensed by state/city governments to operate businesses on a non discriminatory basis. For a business, licensed to serve the public, to take such a high profile position advocating discrimination against a group of citizens, it’s incumbent on state and local government officials to deny that business a license to make money intended to promote discrimination.

          No business that serves the public can be allowed to operate if it undermines the physical health of the community. Likewise, no business that promotes the harming of a particular group of citizens deserves to be licensed to serve the public. As Dr. King would say, serving the stale hate of gay people is just as injurious to society as serving rotten chicken meals.

          • mrbrink

            Very well said.

      • mrbrink

        When your gay-bashing stick says, “free speech,” you have a sick sense of freedom.

      • agrazingmoose

        Its not the speech, its the donations.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          Exactly! I’m a huge Jon Stewart fan, and think he’s spot on a lot of the time. But in tonight’s Daily Show, he only pointed out Cathy’s opinion on gay marriage and failed to include the money the head of Chick-Fil-A has donated to various right wing outfits that make it their mission to deny basic human rights to gays, lesbians, and transgendered people that everyday Americans take for granted. That’s a big difference than just some ordinary person with a narrow Bible thumping world view on everything who should just be ignored as the pathetic soul they are.

  • Lazarus Durden

    This is what the Conservative movement has been reduced to. Such a perfect analogy.

    “Hey lets head down to Chick-fil-a and spend our money eating something that’s horribly bad for us, and will eventually give us obesity and possibly a massive heart attack!”

    “Whoa now. Don’t forget it won’t be just fast food. All this hatred, bigotry, and paranoia will add in a lot of stress. You combine that with horrible food, plus all the crap a less regulated fast food industry gives us and it’ll be even quicker!”

    “Also we might get lucky and get some e coli from the lettuce too!”

    Conservatism is the new form of Self-Annihilation. Never mind the immorality of it all.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Not to mention tastes like shit!

      • Lazarus Durden

        It’s not bad going down, but it will tear up my innards. I can’t eat Chick-fil-a. Just not worth it on any account.

        • D_C_Wilson

          Blech.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          I wouldn’t eat at any fast food outlet, even if they made serious donations to various progressive causes. If it tastes like shit, then it IS shit.

          • Lazarus Durden

            I’ve been thinking about this since all this came out, and since I’ve really started making an effort to eat healthier I don’t really eat fast food anymore. There’s a local place called Pal’s which is a burger joint but I get a chicken sandwich there, which is deli sliced not fried.

            Other then Five Guys a couple of times a month I really don’t like Fast Food anymore. If I eat out it’s at a restaurant and even then I avoid chains if I can help it. I like local places because they usually have the best food. Chains just suck.

  • mrbrink

    The Jorts revolution has begun.

  • D_C_Wilson

    What kills me is that, a few years ago, Mike Huckabee was an advocate for healty eating. Now he’s urging people to go eat greasy fried food.

    I guess hating gays is more important than preventing heart attacks.

    • agrazingmoose

      He has gone back to being a fat f*ck. Apparently, it takes too much work to give a crap when you are being fed lines and money from FOX.

  • Fabius_Maximus

    While I usually agree with the articles here, stuff like “Conservatism is a mental illness” just does you a disservice. It’s just name-calling, and undignified.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      How ’bout you go be a concern troll somewheres else?

    • agrazingmoose

      Nah, if it was a mental illness there would be pharmaceuticals to prevent/combat it.

      It is just ignorance.

      Undignified? Really? Concern trolling, now that’s undignified.

    • Lazarus Durden

      Can you honestly look at the modern conservative movement and call it anything else? It’s not based on real world evidence or factual analysis, and in fact it proudly flies in the face of that. And it’s completely and utterly unbending, inflexible, and uncompromising. In many respects it also holds so many contradictory positions Cognitive Dissonance isn’t a strong enough word.

      Sounds like a mental illness to me.

  • willpen

    The saddest part for me is that these masses of people are no more than cattle just going along with what their status quo expects of them. If you look back at our saddest points in history, as humans, it was almost always when people allowed themselves to be whisked along with the crowds towards insanity.

  • joseph2004

    blanked out. Meant for above..

  • joseph2004

    I guess I’ve reached the end of a thread. It keeps putting my comments here.
    Ta ta