Team Romney Brings The Substance! Or Maybe Not.

It was only a week ago that Paul Ryan’s entry into the presidential race was hailed as a “bold” and “substantive” choice. A Very Serious choice that will force Washington to debate substance for a change.

That was then. Today, according to Romney’s closest advisers, it’s “politically unwise” to engage in specifics, so they won’t be doing that.

“The nature of running a presidential campaign is that you’re communicating direction to the American people,” a Romney adviser said. “Campaigns that are about specifics, particularly in today’s environment, get tripped up.” [...]

“What you’re going to see is a campaign that has clear direction, but not a Simpson-Bowles or Ryan-budget level of detail,” the Romney adviser said. “It’s not only politically unwise to do that, but it’s not how the voters engage in a presidential campaign.”

It’s easy to get tripped up if none of your policy proposals feature coherent math or an ounce of compassion. And it’s undoubtedly political unwise to tell seniors that you’re going to replace their Medicare with coupons.

You’ll just have to trust that Mitt Romney has your best interests in mind. The guy who won’t even release his tax returns.

We’re all out of substance. Check back next week.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    The GOP always hides details on their policies because save for tax cuts their policies are always unpopular with voters. I blame the voters here too because they agree with Dems on almost all the issues yet they still vote for the GOP.

    I have to admit I am surprised how inept the Romney campaign has been. I expected Romney to be the weasel he is but you would think the GOP had better strategists than this. Maybe the GOP’s self fulfilling prophecy that guvment is bad has hit campaigns for guvment positions too.

    • agrazingmoose

      Apparently, you can’t put lipstick on a robot.

      • ninjaf

        Silly Rabbit! Lipstick is for pitbulls.

  • agrazingmoose

    If the Obama team wanted a great ad, they would compare Ryan’s plan for them to green stamp collection.

    If you don’t remember green stamps, give your grandparents a call.

    • atlavely

      I guess I’m the grandparent. S&H Green Stamps. Hundreds of booklets all gummed to death. I’m thinking that got us a toaster…

    I goddamned near choked on my Arby’s asiago cheese and turkey sandwich when I read this posting. The part that really pisses me off is this: “but it’s not how the voters engage in a presidential campaign.” Romney’s “advisors” had better get one thing through their stupid pea sized brains right now: Not even all of the people who are supporting Romney/Ryan are this stupid. Stone walling, slow rolling, and just plain lying to the electorate is one thing. But when you decide that the people you are stonewalling are just too stupid to think for themselves, then you are in trouble. Isn’t it bad enough that no one likes these two assholes? Do they have to insult our intelligence as well? Jeezus…

    • Victor_the_Crab

      That’s the whole point of Republicans. When we ask them “Do you really think we’re stupid?”, their answer is YES!!!

      • Brutlyhonest

        They don’t think it, they KNOW it!

    I predict that by this time next year, President Obama will have been reelected and Romney and Ryan will have opened a cheese shop.