The Dog Ate Paul Ryan’s Homework

First he said he never requested stimulus.

Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan told Cincinnati’s WCPO today that he “never” requested stimulus funds for his Wisconsin district in 2009.

The problem: That blatantly contradicts a report from The Boston Globe that says Ryan wrote at least four letters to Secretary of Energy Steven Chu for a “pair of Wisconsin conservation groups.”

Then he said his staff was responsible for requesting stimulus.

In a paper statement on Thursday, Ryan said, “After having these letters called to my attention I checked into them, and they were treated as constituent service requests in the same way matters involving Social Security or Veterans Affairs are handled.

Now he’s saying he wasn’t aware of the letters requesting stimulus.

RYAN: I didn’t know about those letters until very recently when they were brought to my attention because they went through our constituent case work system and I take full responsibility for that. The point I’m trying to make is, the stimulus was a failure

Yes, I signed the letters, and “I was pleased that the primary objectives of their project will allow residents and businesses in the partner cities to reduce their energy costs, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and stimulate the local economy by creating new jobs.” But, you know, the stimulus was a failure.

If it’s true that he didn’t know about the letters, wouldn’t that indicate Ryan doesn’t keep track of what’s being approved by his office? And if he didn’t know about them, how did his hand-written signature wind up on them?

If it wasn’t for the government, Ryan would still be driving that Wienermobile.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Lying Liars and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    I’m tired of hearing the Usual Suspects in the Mainlining Media keep touting Ryan as intelligent and perceptive and knowledgeable just because he’s slightly smarter than Louie Gohmert. He’s a routine Republican liar, he’s not very articulate when caught in a lie, and seemed unprepared to answer obvious questions on his (former) Medicare position and conflict of interest questions such as these. Apparently, the Romney-Ryan train wreck have as much contempt for Americans in general as they have for their deluded base. I only hope Mencken is wrong on the gullibility of voters — these guys are so obvious, it’s laughable.

    • nathkatun7

      Look at the so called reporter interviewing Ryan. He was doing everything to help Ryan put a positive spin on the fact he denounced the stimulus while behind the scene he was requesting stimulus money for his district. I think a major reason why American voters are gullible has to do with the failure of the media that they rely on for information.

    He knew.

  • Brutlyhonest

    His signature is on the letters, so he is responsible for them. If he didn’t know about them, he is a horrible leader and manager.

    Hell, I still have a copy every official piece of paper I signed while I was a Commanding Officer.

    • muselet

      His signature is on the letters, so he is responsible for them.

      QFT.

      You don’t get to blame your staff for your signature appearing on letters (or on SEC filings or even your tax returns, for that matter). I know there are different rules for politicians, but they’re not that different.

      If it goes out over your signature, it’s yours, sunshine.

      –alopecia

  • nathkatun7

    This is gross. Congressman Ryan’s office sends letters he signed requesting millions of dollars and he says he didn’t know about them? Is this the kind of person we want as VP who would be a heart-bit away from the Presidency?

  • mrbrink

    I love the part in the Paul Ryan Recovery Act Love Letters that says, “I have reviewed the partners’ grant narrative, and I believe that they would make effective use of the funds they would receive from the DOE.”

    The laughs… they are… beginning to… take on… a life… of their own.

    The laughs are growing so fast, Republican super pacs are going to start running attack ads against them and take away their voting rights. The laughs are so out of control, the Republican party is going to revoke their reproductive rights. Republicans are going to start accusing the laughs of hiding WMDs. The laughs are so numerous, Republicans consider them an anti-American hate group. The laughs are so threatening to Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, they’re going to advocate for torturing the laughs. When the laughs laugh them out of contention, it will be because of Acorn.