The Million Mitt March

Artist – Tim Eagan

In other news, according to the Miami Herald, Rep. David Rivera (R-FL) funded a primary challenger to his Democratic opponent with secret campaign cash.

As part of the effort, a political unknown named Justin Lamar Sternad campaigned against Garcia by running a sophisticated mail campaign that Rivera helped orchestrate and fund, campaign vendors said.

Among the revelations: The mailers were often paid in envelopes stuffed with crisp hundred-dollar bills.

Rivera was previously investigated for money laundering and numerous ethical violations, among other things, but he narrowly escaped prosecution based on technicalities in Florida campaign finance law.

Rivera is currently still under investigation by the FBI and IRS for possibly funneling campaign funds to a family business partner.

    A couple of things have been very puzzling to me lately:

    A) Birthers have been hammering the president for years now–since before he was elected if I recall–for “proof” that he was born in the US. He finally released his “long form” birth certificate–something no President or presidential candidate has before been compelled to do–and birthers still don’t believe him. But we’re supposed to take Mitt Romney at his word that he paid a minimum of 13% in federal income taxes over the last ten years? Hmmm…I think I’d like to see some proof of that.

    B) Jason Linkins wrote today in the Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/mitt-romney-female-vote-national-review_n_1822470.html?utm_source=Alert-blogger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email%2BNotifications) of a whackadoodle article by Kevin D. Williamson in National Review (https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/313504/boss?pg=3) that argued “From an evolutionary point of view, Mitt Romney should get 100 percent of the female vote…” He argues that “The conventional biological wisdom is that men select mates for fertility, while women select for status…” and Romney has such awsome status as evidenced by things like his bank account, the fact that he’s been a CEO and has fathered five sons. Williamson’s premise is plainly foolish at best but what really gets me about this is how a representative of a movement that has spent the last decade or more trying to “debunk” the Theory of Evolution in favor of “Intelligent Design” is now trying to make an argument that is based on the Theory of Evolution. It’s apparent to me that this guy must lack the gene for recognizing irony…and hypocrisy. And here I thought that being President of the United States carried with it a certain status…not that that matters much in electoral politics.

    These factors just reconfirm for me that GOP-ers simply do not think we have memories that go back beyond about 90 days and that they wouldn’t be able to identify irony or hypocrisy if they bit them in the ass–which, with any luck, will happen come November.

      I read that piece of tripe from National Review today. Not only is it just plain offensive to women, it should be offensive to anyone who has succeeded in life, rising up and out of poverty by working their ass of, like President Obama. I wonder how sore Williamson’s knees are after all that fluffing of the Romney ego and how he much he got paid for it. I hear some hookers can really make decent money nowadays.

    • mrbrink

      You’ll fit right in with The Romneys, bphoon.

      We all will.

      Forever, and ever, and everr….

      • bphoon

        Reminds me of these guys:

        • mrbrink

          No kidding. They creep me out.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/RHGS6OLQA7FQUZV2BMNP7B7UAE Blue

    I’ve been reading Bob’s blog since 2008, after I discovered him on HuffPo. This the first site I check in the morning. I haven’t commented because I did have anything to add most of the time. However, I love reading the articles and comments and have learned a lot.

    Today that came in handy with a FB ‘friend’ who has been posting pro-Romney links. Today it was about the caterer in Iowa who wore that stupid t-shirt with based on the lie. I wasn’t the only one to point out to her that that was not what Obama said.

    She quickly changed to other topics, and every time I gave her a good argument against something, she came up with a new topic.

    She believes he is not an American, is a muslim and a communist. He is also the anti-christ and we are in the end times. He has also rigged the election so that of course he is going to win.

    So far I have managed to stay respectful, because she sounds really fearful – she’s afraid she’s going to have to hide in the woods to avoid being killed if he is re-elected.

    I was responding through my phone most of the day, so I could provide links, but I did send her a couple when I got home – the factcheck one about the ‘business quote’ and one about what Ohio is doing to suppress the vote there. We’ll see what, if anything, she says tomorrow.

    • bphoon

      I know you’re trying to stay respectful–and I applaud you for that–but perhaps you should suggest she go and hide in the woods now.

      • http://profile.yahoo.com/RHGS6OLQA7FQUZV2BMNP7B7UAE Blue

        Well, I did type a message that told her to suck it up, like I had to do during the ‘appointed’ Bush years, but I deleted it. I want to see if she tells me how she is preparing her family in case of an Obama win. I hope she means getting them passports.