The Social Contract

Artist – John Cole

You may be aware that there was another mass shooting in New York yesterday, but what you may not have heard was that the police did most of the shooting.

All nine people injured in Friday’s shooting in front of the Empire State Building were wounded by police gunfire, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters Saturday.

The officers unloaded a total of 16 rounds at a disgruntled former apparel designer, killing him after he shot and killed a co-worker and engaged in a gunbattle with police, authorities have said.

Police said an investigation is under way after one officer shot nine rounds and another shot seven. Three victims suffered gunshot wounds, while the remaining six were hit by fragments.

The gunman shot his intended target and no one else. The police shot everyone else.

Clearly the situation could have been resolved quicker if everyone shot by the police was also carrying, right? No?

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Sadly, this is not unexpected. I have been to IDPA pistol tourneys where the cops show up with full rigs and can’t hit the broad side of a barn. When my score is higher than all the police officers in my range group, something is really really wrong.

      I have the same convo with gun nuts out here all the time. That think life is the OK Corral on the big screen and I know it is something much messier. Unfortunately True Believers don’t learn until reality forces them to first person-like. The truth of the NY story will not penetrate their delusions.

  • Brutlyhonest

    It’s a well established fact that shooting at a person is harder than shooting targets. That said, I’m not feeling any love for the NYPD since they went wingnut with their Muslim surveillance and OWS crackdown.

  • rob black

    In the small red town I live in, about 10 years ago, a mentally disturbed man pulled two “ceremonial” (non functioning) pistols on the 6-8 police officers that showed up to arrest him for public intoxication. After he was gunned down, it was revealed that over 60 rounds were fired at him from a distance of 15 feet. He was hit 7 times.