This Will Make Your Brain Hurt

The Republicans featured a series of business owners who spoke at the convention yesterday as part of the “we built this” theme, ostensibly relating the notion that the government didn’t help businesses form and prosper — a notion that’s wildly off base.

But this is utterly baffling. A man who runs a sign-making company spoke yesterday and inexplicably lamented the fact that President Obama made it more difficult for him… to receive government funding for his business.

“For the last 40 years, my company has built the road signs on the Forest Service road system,” Archuletta explained in his prime-time speech at the Republican National Convention. “In fact, in 1984, I was fortunate to receive the national award from President Reagan for being the most successful minority business in the United States. In 2004, President Bush made it possible for our company to manufacture signs for all federal agencies.”

According to a website that tracks government contracts, P&M Signs has received $18,252 in federal contracts from 2000 to 2011.

The problem, according to Archuletta, isn’t that he’s getting money from Uncle Sam — it’s that he isn’t getting more.

“When President Obama came on board and pushed the stimulus, I believed my business was going to explode with work,” he told the Tampa crowd. “Unfortunately, it never happened. The Democratic Congress and the Obama administration created a new procurement process that harmed existing small-business contracts, which devastated my business.”

Huh-what? Um. Seriously, what?!

    I think GOP fans have achieved doublethink.

    The rhetoric of the Party and its enablers has become so disconnected from reality, so rife with internal contradictions and inconsistencies (not to mention blatant dishonesty) that there’s no longer any thought required. The spokespeople just say things; the audience just hears things. It’s a collective, self-induced unconsciousness that, if you think about it, is really quite frightening.

    [W]here [does] knowledge exist? Only in [one's]own consciousness, which in any case must soon be annihilated. And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth. ‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’ And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. ‘Reality control’, they called it: in Newspeak, ‘doublethink’.

    To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself. That was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word ‘doublethink’ involved the use of doublethink.

    One of these days I’ll get tired of quoting that.

    • Brutlyhonest

      Spot on, Graf. Every once in a while when I would try to get a rwnj to explain how/why the fiscally conservative party ran up deficits and debt and/or how the party of small government created new, useless bureaucracies, I’d see a tiny flicker of brain activity behind the blank, staring eyes. Then, they’d revert to reciting non-factual talking points and/or call me an ass.

      They are true believers and facts are not to believed because they aren’t facts unless they come from the one, true propaganda machine.

  • http://twitter.com/kerryreid Kerry Reid

    Um, is this guy white? Then he’s entitled to government money. Duh.

  • Clancy

    For a second, let’s put aside the hypocrisy of Archuletta’s argument. . .

    Between 2000 and 2011, his business received $18,252 in federal contracts, or approximately $1,700 per year in business. However, new regulations implemented by Obama and Democrats have supposedly resulted in the loss of those contracts, “which devastated [Archuletta's] business.”

    So, the only thing standing in the way of a thriving, prosperous sign company and complete financial ruin is $1,700 a year in government spending. Am I the only one confused by this? One would think it would take more than that to make a sign company work, especially if it had more than one-twentieth of a person working for it.

    • agrazingmoose

      This kind of ignorance is why most small businesses fail.