Today in Voter Disenfranchisement News

A judge ruled in favor of the ridiculous Pennsylvania Voter ID law.

In a blow to voting rights advocates, Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson upheld the state’s restrictive voter ID law, which could disenfranchise as many as 750,000 citizens in the state.

Though voter ID proponents were unable to cite even a single case of voter impersonation that would justify the ID requirement, Simpson “didn’t rule on the full merits of the case,” instead limiting his scope to whether it was a proper exercise of the legislature’s authority, according to the AP.

But that’s not the worst news of the day. Florida will continue to purge voters in spite of orders to stop.

Gov. Rick Scott’s (R-FL) handpicked Secretary of State Ken Detzner announced on Tuesday that the administration will soon begin another voter purge to remove “ineligible” voters from the rolls before the November 6 election. Florida county election supervisors remain wary of the effort, however, telling ThinkProgress that they may not have enough time to implement the purge.

Last month the U.S. Department of Homeland Security agreed to a request from Florida and other states to allow them to compare voter rolls against the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) database. Though it is unclear how this list can logistically be used by the states, Detzner told elections supervisors the state would be developing a list of names for “additional actions in accordance with applicable laws.”

This is the only way they can win: to literally reduce the number of Democratic voters.

(h/t David Benowitz Attorney at Law)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    Well, as you’ve so astutely pointed out in the past, namely, that between the years 2000 and 2011 (I believe), there have been only 13 cases of verifiable voter fraud in the entire country–13 cases too many! Just one case is too many! One can never be too careful. Sure, it starts out as an insidious creeping of a few cases into the process, but unchecked, over time, it will grow into a vast herd of majestic buffalo, whose powerful haunches and mighty sinews strain against the force of democracy, to race across the election-filled prairies, filling up all the earth, even unto the horizon, trampling the very ground of freedom. Freedom! Oh, what a dark day for America.

    Sorry. I panicked.

    “The hanging chad of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood money of billionaires.” ~ Some Republican, probably.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Voter fraud. Translated to “Get that scary lookin’ darkie outta my White House” in Wingnutistan.

  • villemar

    I’m telling you if they manage to steal this one via overwhelming and blatant voter suppression then it’s probably time for the violent revolution that they’ve been hallucinating we’ve wanted all along. Enough is enough. Give them something to really cry about.

  • D_C_Wilson

    There are hundreds of thousands of Pennsylvania voters who don’t have the required IDs, but the judge said, that’s no problem. They’ll get them by November.

    As an employee of the Commonwealth of PA, I can tell you, there’s no fucking way that’s going to happen. If the state supreme court doesn’t strike this blatantly partisan law down, then democracy is dead in America.

      or at least in PA.