Worst Person

Politico reporter Dave Catanese for this tweet:

So perhaps some can agree that all rapes that are reported are not actually rapes? Or are we gonna really deny that for PC sake?

Huh-what?! No, we can all agree that rapes are rapes and dicks like Akin, Paul Ryan and Dave Catanese should stop parsing the word and thereby stripping it of its horrifying definition?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Abortion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    I like it when somebody says something controversial and stupid, so controversial and stupid that they must immediately retract it and clarify… and then, over the next week, you see people who are a little behind who didn’t see the clarification who jump on the chance to try to explain the comments.

    Because, okay, yes, factually speaking, there certainly are false accusations of rape in the world. But (a) that doesn’t really address the real substance of all the ways in which what he said was stupid, and (b) he actually clarified that he *didn’t* mean the word “legitimate” but rather “forcible”, which is a word for which no ambiguous definition needs to be cited, as we already have a bill written by him which perfectly defines what he means by forcible.

    So the real thing to do is turn stuff like this around on them immediately — “Are you really saying that getting a woman drunk and having sex when she’s passed out isn’t rape? Are you really saying that a forty year old can have sex with a fifteen year old and that isn’t rape? (etc)”

  • roxsteady

    What I don’t get is why this prick didn’t get the Joe Williams treatment? Why wasn’t he FIRED? Taking him off the Akin campaign that isn’t really a campaign right now, and more resembles a where’s Waldo experiment is beyond me! What was Williams’ crime? Saying Romney is more comfortable around white people. Have you seen Romney’s campaign rallies? The word homogeneous comes to mind!

  • http://twitter.com/chezpazienza Chez Pazienza

    Gonna disagree with you only slightly on this. If Catanese is making the argument that not all cases of rape are “legitimate” — that some rape is just rape while other rape is RAPE — then yes, he’s an offensive douche. But if he’s making the point that not all accusations of rape are true, then, well, he’s right — there are plenty of people who do in fact lie about being raped. This isn’t un-PC, it’s just fact. It’s the job of the criminal justice system to decide whether the accused is guilty of a crime or whether a crime even took place. While rape is certainly a particularly vile crime, the justice system’s job is essentially the same.

      Catanese is making the statement that not all accusations of rape are true, but he is making that statement as an argument in defense of Akin’s statement about “legitimate rape”. If it were a statement in a vacuum, it would be accurate, but it is at best a non sequitur being brought up now to muddy the waters so that low-info voters will think that *that* is what Akin was talking about, though Akin himself has already explained that it wasn’t.

    • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

      And it fits so well with the Republican meme that there is Welfare Fraud, and Voter Fraud and now Rape Fraud — therefore all tiny percentages of Fraud must be resolved by punishing the 99% of those who are not fraudulent. Oh, Oh, I know — raises hand — what about Bernie Madoff? Wall Street must be TAKEN DOWN because there’s FRAUD, FRAUD I TELLS YA. Don’t promote this ridiculous meme. Which is even worse in light of the violent crime that is rape.

    • agrazingmoose

      “there are plenty of people who do in fact lie about being raped.” Got any actual statistics to back that up Chez?

      Sounds like bar room chatter to me.

  • Username1016

    You know what really hands me a laugh about Akin is, he’s so obviously a product of the Missouri sex education system. He’s never acquired any actual INFORMATION about how reproduction works, so he’s extrapolating from what he knows about his own, um, gentleman parts. He knows HE can’t make a pregnancy if he’s not aroused, so that works the same for ladies, right? If they’re not aroused they can’t get pregnant — so if they get pregnant, they must have been aroused, hence it’s not rape. QED.

    And he’s confident enough in these conclusions to shoot off his mouth on television. What an idiot.

    What he’s saying is MRA (Men’s Rights Advocates) canon: Women punish men by claiming they were raped.

      Yes, I think you are right. I think it comes from a type of semi-paranoid mindset peculiar to conservative men who are scared shitlessof strong women.

    Chez, yes you are correct BUT the percentage of women who falsely accuse is low. Why focus on the exception and not the rule? Why discuss a relatively minor problem as somehow mitigating the responsibility of the rapists that cause the larger problem? Because it moves the conversation away from the perp and puts the focus on the victim. It also reinforces our society’s cynicism and refusal to believe women,making us much less likely to report. What other crime do we blame the victim so much? Get robbed, burglarized, defrauded, conned, whatever…nobody starts talking about false reports then. But rape, it’s a whole different game. I don’t think that most men (no offense meant here) really understand how all the subtle and not so subtle comments by men add up to be so overbearing and powerful in affecting how women participate in society. The message comes thru loud and clear to us…like a gender specific dog whistle. I hear it and I think both Akin AND Catanese can go eff themselves.

      I don’t think that most men (no offense meant here) really understand how all the subtle and not so subtle comments by men add up to be so overbearing and powerful in affecting how women participate in society.

      Q.F.T.

        Thank you! I have been dwelling on the issue of subtle sexism over at my blog for months now…so it’s very much on my mind. :)

  • ArrogantDemon

    Joe Williams got canned for suggesting Mittens might be uncomfortable around people of color, but this fuck just gets pulled off the story…….

    Hmmmm, wonder why this guy got so much consideration……hmmmmmmm

  • mrbrink

    Are the rapes that go unreported still considered rape?

    If a rape happens in the woods…

    I’ve prevented three rapes from occurring in my life. THREE! Every time the girl was passed out drunk. I’m absolutely positive they weren’t asking to be assaulted by the scumbags who were in the process of mounting them. I can’t stop them all, evidently. You’re either a hero, or a cock blocker, and I know because I’ve been both simultaneously, depending on which party involved you ask.

    Are we really going to start attacking the victims as liars, or imply they were asking for it, to preserve the blessings of rape babies and the freedom and privacy of rapists?

    Maybe it’s not PC to bring up the fact that unreported rape is a problem brought about by discussions involving acceptable instances and degrees of rape.

  • KanaW

    One thing that bothers me here, in addition to what everyone else has already brought up, is the phrasing he used:
    “all rapes that are reported are NOT actually rapes”

    Read that carefully.

    If he had said:
    “NOT all rapes that are reported are actually rapes”
    then it could be true.

    But by putting the NOT at the end instead of the beginning, he said that all reported rapes are not really rapes.

    WTF?