You Will Attend The Romney Rally And You Will Like It

When Mitt Romney came to town, workers at the Century Mine in Ohio not only lost a day’s worth of pay, they were also coerced into attending Romney’s campaign rally.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — When GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney visited an Ohio coal mine this month to promote jobs in the coal industry, workers who appeared with him at the rally lost pay because their mine was shut down.

The Pepper Pike company that owns the Century Mine told workers that attending the Aug. 14 Romney event would be both mandatory and unpaid, a top company official said Monday morning in a West Virginia radio interview.

A group of employees who feared they’d be fired if they didn’t attend the campaign rally in Beallsville, Ohio, complained about it to WWVA radio station talk show host David Blomquist.

A company spokesman says the event was not mandatory, but employees claim they were intimidated to attend the event. Employees were also told that they would have to “forfeit the day’s pay unless they could make up their missed hours on overtime or weekends,” meaning the employees were responsible for making up the time lost in Mitt Romney’s honor.

The whole scenario is so typical of Mitt Romney I find no reason not to believe the employees.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Well, if that’s not Freedom™, I don’t know what is.

  • missliberties

    Pualbots are upset about Romney’s rule change that disenfranchises them as delegates.

    Can he get away with this stuff in this day and age of blogging?

    The tyranny against “freedom” that so many are projecting on Obama, thy name is Mitt Romney.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Sure he can. Most republicans care more about beating the Kenyan Muslim than assuaging the butthurt feelings of the Paultards.

      And you can bet this will be the last primary that a candidate will be able to poach delegates from the candidate who actually won the primary vote.

  • JoyP

    When mining is the only game in town, you do what you have to. The pictures of those miners’ faces let the cat out of the bag. You can see the barely concealed disgust as Romney walked past them. This man literally has no shame.

  • Ipecac

    So they lost a day’s pay! Wah. They can just tell the maid to clean the house only three times that week instead of five and have the gardener only come in once and BAM they’ve made up the difference. Geez, don’t these people know how to save a few cents like Mitt?

    Actually, the spokesman said that the workers were told that it was mandatory. He just objected to the word “forced”. They weren’t “forced” to do it, they were just told that it was mandatory.

    • JMAshby

      I don’t draw a distinction.

      • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-Morgan/100000299284844 Rich Morgan

        “Mandatory” means you only lose your job if you decline, not your life.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Mandatory: If you don’t show up, you’re fired.

        Forced: We’re sending in the goon squad to make you show up.

        See? Totally different things!

    • bphoon

      Typical.

    • jmby

      Yeah, and THEN turned around and told the local reporter in the same breath that no one was forcing them to attend.

      Mandatory, but not required. Huh. Interesting.

      To quote André the Giant in The Princess Bride, “I do not think that word means what you THINK it means.”

  • bphoon

    Encapsulated here is the kind of world the GOP is trying to force on the rest of us. They are determined to drag us kicking and screaming back to the Gilded Age when businesses could do just about whatever they wanted and working people had no choice but to suck it up if they wanted to put food on the table that night. Those kind of policies are what brought about the union movement which, of course, has been gutted largely by Republican policy prescriptions.

    Ethically, if a company requires an employee to be somewhere at a specified time–whether it is called “mandatory” or “forced”–that company is liable for paying the employee’s wages for that time. Nobody I’m aware of, though, has ever accused coal companies of being ethical.

    Ohio, I surmise, has no labor law that includes that provision.

    I have to assume that Mitt and the GOP lost a good slice of the coal miner vote in Ohio–provided, that is, that those miners find the time to vote. Ohio curtailed early voting hours thereby making it more difficult for working people to vote early. I surely wouldn’t put it past our friends at Pepper Pike to find some sort of “mandatory” requirement that will keep most miners on the job till the polls close on Election Day, either.

      I’d go hungry for a day or two just to miss a few hours of work in their mine to vote against that over-privileged asswipe.

    Wait, isn’t that illegal as hell?!

    • bphoon

      In California, yeah. In Ohio, not so much, I think.