A Shiny Object

Democrats may have rediscovered their national security and foreign policy mojo under the leadership of President Obama, but they’ve also had a little help from Republicans who have seemingly abandoned that sphere of politics and deemed it a “shiny object.”

Romney foreign policy advisor Robert O’Brien called the Obama campaign’s tactic a transparent ploy to distract from the sagging economy, including a recent jobs report that was “a disaster for them.”

“It doesn’t surprise me that they’re raising foreign policy because it’s another distraction from the Administration’s terrible economic record,” O’Brien told BuzzFeed. “They’re going from one shiny object to the next.”

I guess Afghanistan is just another distraction from their dog-whistle campaign. And discussing how you will handle the tens of thousands of men and women still serving there is a “shiny object.”

Granted I’m not a political adviser and have no experience serving on a campaign, but I’m fairly certain that calling foreign policy a distraction is not the way to respond to criticism that you didn’t mention service members a single time during your convention acceptance speech.

Today is 9/11. Take a ride in the hot tub time machine to 2004 and you would witness relentless sloganeering and pimping of the 9/11 brand by Republicans. Fast forward to today and foreign policy is just a shiny object. It’s no longer useful to them.

I’m sure the Bush Administration thought foreign policy was just a shiny object on 9/10 as well.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/Qstache John K.

    What is the terror alert color at today?

    • http://www.facebook.com/people/Maike-Hudson/100000832963042 Maike Hudson

      Yellow

    • bphoon

      “We don’t do politics in the Department of Homeland Security .” – Department of Homeland Security Administrator Tom Ridge on August 4, 2004, answering questions about the rapidly changing terror alert status prior to the presidential election.

      Funny, isn’t it, how those alerts stopped changing so much after the ’04 election? They slowed down to the point where they’re not even used any more. Imagine that…

  • Draxiar

    Oh man I can’t wait for the debates.

    Fact checkers, on your mark…get set…GO!

    Maybe, during the debates we could have Fact Checkers that sound an alarm everytime a falshood or a truth is spoken.

    Examples:
    “Obama is gutting Medicare to pay for Obamacare!” !!ALERT!!ALERT!!
    “I created hundreds of thousands of jobs in the private sector” !!ALERT!!ALERT!!
    “I wear magical knickers.” !!DING!!
    “I was born in Hawaii” !!DING!!

  • D_C_Wilson

    Foreign policy used to be considered one of the GOP’s strengths. Eight years of Bush followed by a VP candidate who thought proximity to Russia made her a foreign expect killed that. Now they have a nominee who couldn’t even visit the Olympics without offending our closest ally.

    But of course Romney would rather talk about the economy. It’s the one area he thinks he has the advantage. So long as you ignore his tax returns and his history as a vulture capitalist.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Shut your talking assholes up, Republicans. You only use 9/11 and the troops you sent off to war to boost your own brand recognition. When you’re done with it, you toss it aside like some ragdoll. You’re just a band of treasonus cyphers. You’re disgusting.

  • http://twitter.com/BlueTrooth Rich Baska

    This quote is seriously damaging…it’s the kind of quote that reaches even the lowest information voter and makes them go, “Wait..what?!”

  • bphoon

    And here I thought Foreign Policy was fairly central to the role the President plays in our government…