About that Chinese Sweatshop in the Romney Video

The Boston Globe reports on the possible identity of the Chinese electronics “factory” Romney, on the video, said he purchased:

When Romney was at Bain, the firm also invested in a Chinese company called Global Tech Appliances Inc., which manufactured washing machines and other products at Chinese factories to export to US consumers.

According to Securities and Exchange Commission documents that were first reported by Mother Jones magazine, a Bain Capital affiliate, Brookside Capital Partners Fund, acquired about 6 percent of Global Tech Appliances on April 17, 1998. Romney was listed as the “sole shareholder, sole director, President and Chief Executive Officer of Brookside Inc. and thus is the controlling person of Brookside Inc.”

As I wrote in my column, it’s obvious here that Romney not only owned a Chinese sweatshop, but that he personally toured the facility and took note of the brutal conditions there. Furthermore, Global Tech Appliances was sued for patent theft by a French company. Romney’s Chinese electronics company lost the suit and, with it, $2.65 million in damages.

This is the creep who wants to be our next president? Even though he only appears to have owned six percent, he clearly says in the video that he traveled to China to “buy” a factory there. Either way, horrible.

  • mattpd

    Sorry if anyone brought this point up… but SNL’s skit this week about the Obama campaign’s “secret weapon” (in reality, Mitt Romney) may turn out to be the best 2012 prediction going. That video, his own words are truly a BFD (as Joe Biden might say).

    I am lucky, I’ve never been on umemployment, or welfare or any government assistance. In fact, most of the people I personally know that have been are not exactly fans of President Obama. Most of them were only on it for a short period of time while they dealt with whatever financial, employment or medical crisis they dealt with. Others are on SSI and one has a disabled daughter and they are dealing with this more long term. More importanly, they don’t consider themselves as losers, or taking advantage.

    For a president to come out and write off an entire “population” like that is truly shocking. The campaign, of course, may write off certain states, interest groups, sections of people, etc… but for the candidate to basically say that he’s not going to try to reach them? And to act with such disdain toward them. Well, who is guilty of class warfare now. You run for president of the entire people (whether you govern that way or not).