Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?

My Monday column answers the question posed by Mitt Romney last week with a very loud YES!

In a speech filled with misleading statements and nostalgic lines about how wonderful life used to be before President Obama was inaugurated, the single-most ridiculous line from Mitt Romney’s acceptance speech Thursday night was this:

“…Every president since the Great Depression who
came before the American people asking for a second term could look back at the last four years and say with satisfaction, ‘You’re are better off than you were four years ago.’ Except Jimmy Carter. And except this president… This president cannot tell us that you’re better off today than when he took office.”

He absolutely can, and he should. This is a risky question for Romney, by the way, since a Republican president with a strikingly similar economic agenda was in office four years ago, and he was navigating his way around a deepening economic crisis. Why would Romney even dare to bring this up?

Yes, I agree that there are still people who are hurting. Unemployment remains unacceptably high, and, ultimately, the depth of the Great Recession is still playing itself out in the difficult task of mitigating it and returning the economy to a place of steady prosperity. Continue reading here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jjasonham

    The answer is: “YES. We were on the brink of disaster. What has the GOP done to help?”

  • agrazingmoose

    All the Obama team needs to do is run some news clips from four years ago. As I remember, it was about this time that McCain went into hiding and suspended his campaign.

    God, the Romney folks are dumb.