Dick Quote of the Day

Pennsylvania Representative Daryl Metcalfe (R), the original sponsor of the state’s voter ID law, isn’t just agreeing with Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” comment, he’s also claiming it’s the reason we need voter ID.

I don’t believe any legitimate voter that actually wants to exercise that right and takes on the according responsiblity that goes with that right to secure their photo ID will be disenfranchised. As Mitt Romney said, 47% of the people that are living off the public dole, living off their neighbors’ hard work, and we have a lot of people out there that are too lazy to get up and get out there and get the ID they need. If individuals are too lazy, the state can’t fix that.

In Mitt Romney’s case I would say his comments were far too broad to be called racist. In fact the broad nature of what he said is what has lead to such widespread condemnation. But in Daryl Metcalfe’s case, I would say this is racist because Pennsylvania’s voter ID law would disproportionately affect minority voters. And according to Daryl Metcalfe, they’re all lazy and thus don’t deserve to vote.

The good news is the state’s voter ID law may not come into effect before the November election, and Daryl Metcalfe can go be pissed off and suck on it as President Obama wins Pennsylvania by a wide margin.

Honorable mentions for today’s Dick Quote of the Day go to Ann Romney who, according to this Washington Post profile of a Romney mega-donor, reportedly said “My horse has more style and more class in its hoof than they do in their whole deal” regarding Democrats who mocked her dressage horse Rafalca during the Olympics.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    As others have pointed out, these folks aren’t denying any belief in what they’ve said, only that they stated it in a way which was inelegant. So remember, this is exactly what they think of the lower (which included middle, in this case) classes.

    • bphoon

      Which is no surprise…

    • D_C_Wilson

      Still waiting for someone to show me an “elegant” way to say, “half of this country are lazy parasites”.

      • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

        Seriously. Anybody who listens to what he said can tell he really means it. His wife says he was taken out of context even though more than an hour of video was recorded. He and his surrogates are now claiming he was just saying he wants people to make more money. But no! He’s actually saying seniors, students, the disable, and poor folk are just freeloaders who simply want more money for nothing. That’s pretty much exactly what he said, Mrs. Romney.

  • Username1016

    Jesus. “47% of Americans paid no income tax in 2011″ (or was it 2009?) has morphed into “47% of Americans are living off the public dole.” How clueless is Metcalfe? The original quote has been ALL OVER the news for several days now, with dozens of news articles and columns and blogs explaining exactly:

    * What the income tax is (not the same as the payroll tax)
    * Who the 47% are (the working poor, the military, students, the elderly)
    * Why they didn’t pay any income tax (because the tax code is deliberately set up so they don’t owe that particular tax)

    Is Metcalfe deaf or illiterate or stupid, or just a giant dick? EVERYBODY knows there aren’t 47% of American’s living off the public dole. Except Daryl “Giant Dick” Metcalfe, apparently.

    • bphoon

      Remember, this is the doof who was caught on video saying (paraphrasing here), “…passing the Voter ID law enabling Mitt Romney to win Pennsylvania, DONE!”

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Calling Daryl Metcalfe a Giant Dick would seem like an ego boosting compliment to him. Now, calling him Tiny Dick would hurt far worse for him.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Daryl Metcalfe, you are a Terrible Person and a Despicable Excuse for an American.

    And Ann Romney, removing the first two letters of the words class perfectly describes what you’re acting like.