Eric Cantor Announces Another Paid Vacation For Congress

Congress just returned from vacation last week after a month off, but apparently they’re planning to go on vacation again for another two months.

House Republican Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) announced Friday that after next week, the House will stand in recess until November 13. His plan for a nearly two month vacation will undoubtedly allow more time for campaigning, but will leave several vital bills awaiting action. [...]

Four years ago, Republicans objected when then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) adjourned Congress for a five-week August recess without bringing up their energy legislation. Rep. Ted Poe (R-TX) shouted “Madame Speaker, where art thou? Where oh where has Congress gone?” Now, they plan a two month vacation, even if it means allowing vital programs to expire and working families to suffer.

Congress draws a salary of roughly $174,000 per year while going on vacation for half of it.

And Republicans complain about teachers’ salaries. Teachers have a much more difficult and stressful job than congress and have less vacation time.

Meanwhile, the 2012 farm bill still hasn’t been passed and the Republicans have continued to block the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Republicans object to the revised version of VAWA because it extends existing protections to native American tribes, immigrants, and members of the LGBT community.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • agrazingmoose

    And this will likely mean that WIC payments will be disrupted for children living in poverty.

    Lazy motherfuckers…

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Let’s not forget the American Jobs Act too.
    The GOP’s mid-term lies about their committment to jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs are totally forgotten by the rightwing base and unfortunately by most of the media as well.
    I’d like to say that they are lazy mofo’s, but the truth is they are just plain evil bastards and they keep getting away with this horseshit.
    Watch Cantor and team start the “both sides” meme when anyone calls them on it…What a bunch of PRICKS!

    • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

      It’s the perfect setup for the GOP. They do nothing about creating jobs and then blame the sluggish recovery on Obama.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    By far this is the worst House in history but what do you expect when you vote for people that hate governing.

    You know what I think the American people should do? Only pay their Congress Critters the full salary is they work 100% of the time or at least a reasonable percentage of the time (because I understand they have to campaign and travel back and forth). Since that kind of thing would go through Congress normally, we make it a Constitutional Amendment.

    I know, I know….a pipe dream. But dreams are all I have left! LOL

  • rob black

    I wish the people of VA would do us all a favor and send Eric Cantor on a permanent vacation.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003011868413 Ryan Frieler

    ITS A BUNCH OF B.S.