Fit For Print

Artist – Milt Priggee

In other news, prior to any possible post-convention bump, Nate Silver at 538 has calculated that the president has a 76 percent chance to win the election. That number could go up or down between now and November, however I would reiterate that Silver’s calculations were astonishingly accurate in 2008.

Also — MSNBC was the number one rated cable news channel last night for the first time in history. Personally I don’t watch cable news anymore, but they’re certainly better than the alternatives.

Feel free to discuss tonight’s DNC events here. Former president Bill Clinton will speak tonight between 10 and 11 pm. And Cowboys vs Giants! The NFL regular season returns tonight!

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Open Thread and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/loew.life Jake Loew

    Why did the Democrats insist on adding god into the party platform? Talk about self inflicted injuries, did you see that floor vote? Maybe if they had voted on the Jerusalem thing and the god thing separately it wouldn’t have been so bad, but it made it seem like Dems were booing Israel on the floor of the convention.

    • JMAshby

      Don’t know and don’t really care either. It’s a nothingburger and no one will even remember tomorrow. Plus most people who saw it were watching live streams.

      • i_a_c

        What he said. Exactly zero votes will hinge on this non-event.

        • D_C_Wilson

          Which is why it infuriates me that the dems rushed to put a reference in. Just one day after we had some fantastic, fiery speeches, we’re back to, “Oh noes! Fox is mad at us. We’d better do something or they won’t like us any more!”

          • i_a_c

            I can only imagine that the Dems thought that campaign ads would pop up in more vulnerable districts against Congressional candidates. Not that they wouldn’t anyway, but they did what they thought they needed to do, and I’m OK with that.

          • LoewLife

            Thank you! I’m not trying to “concern troll” or anything like that, I’m a huge Obama supporter, I’m just saying that the platform was damn near perfect the way it was.

      • maggy

        The whole “controversy” was cooked up by RW bloggers.

      • LoewLife

        I hope you’re right that it’s a nothingburger, but it seems like a slap in the face to atheists like me.

        • i_a_c

          I’m an atheist and think that politicians will do what they believe they need to do in order to win. So it’s not an issue for me.

          Oh hell, I’m an athiest, and so are many others who comment on this blog, and I am not offended.

          Athiests aren’t the majority in the US; those who worship a “god” are, so we have to roll with it.

        • JMAshby

          I’m an atheist and I give zero fucks about it.

          • eljefejeff

            so many atheists, I’m not alone, whoopee!

        • Lazarus Durden

          Nah it’s not. It is what it is. We’re in the minority. That was for people like my mother who are Christian but now are Democrats. I don’t care if they believe in the Man in the Sky. They don’t use it to oppress people. I care about the other team who use God to oppress women and give justification to war, death, and economic subjugation.

  • Clusterpuck

    If you can get it, CURRENT TV is coming on strong.

    GO, Cecile Richards!

    She really let Romney-Ryan have it during her floor speech. I hope Republican women are watching.

  • muselet

    Odd and misleading headline of the day:

    Rain, political risks force Obama’s speech indoors

    What political risks, you ask?

    His party blamed severe weather forecasts in announcing that Obama would host the final night of his convention indoors instead of at a 74,000-seat football stadium. But Democrats also worried Obama’s leadership would be questioned and he would anger voters in the closely contested state if changed venues at the last minute or held a rain-soaked event.

    In other words, the political risk was rain. Which is exactly why the Ds said the speech was being moved indoors.

    Better reporters, please!

    –alopecia

    • i_a_c

      That’s digging pretty deep to meet the weekly concern trolling quota.

    • Lazarus Durden

      Been a lot of that horseshit going around lately. TPM had a horrible story today playing the HuffPo title special.

  • i_a_c

    I didn’t know who Cristina Saralegui was until right now, but she was awesome.

  • JMAshby

    Fluke did a great job. The right wing hate is going to be off the scale.

      • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

        I honestly think the Fluke/Clinton pairing was entirely to troll the right into this sort of unhinged lunacy.

        But SE Cupp may have been the worst. What an asshole.

          What did Cupp tweet? I didn’t catch that one.

    • Lazarus Durden

      What S.E. Cupp tweeted about her was fucking despicable. I think someone needs to update Malcolm X’s “Who taught you to hate” speech but for women. Unbelievable.

  • muselet

    Far off topic, if you want to hear something that will scare the hell out of you, here it is: a BBC documentary titled “Russia’s Far Right.” These guys would be right at home in parts of the US.

    (You can also download from here or at the iTunes Store—search on “documentaries” and click on the link for BBC World Service “Documentary Archive,” which should be the first result.)

    –alopecia

  • JozefAL

    (Tried posting this as a reply to i_a_c but, for some odd reason, I can’t get my comments to post when I’m replying to someone. Anyways……)

    Yeah, it’s not like those vulnerable candidates won’t be slammed as “wanting to force men to marry other men and women to marry other women” because of the marriage equality plank. I guess the DNC figures the GOP will forget about that since they “restored” God to the platform.

    • i_a_c

      What were we talking about? Bill Clinton made me forget all the minute details of the day.

  • JMAshby

    Bill Clinton is preaching at the mountaintop.

    • LoewLife

      “It takes a lot of brass to criticize someone for what YOU did.” Exquisite.

      Clinton kicked serious ass tonight.

      • Lazarus Durden

        Best comment of that speech by far.

  • incredulous72

    Professor William Clinton. Has a nice ring to it don’t ya think? ;-)

    Dems just knocked it out of the park tonight. From Saundra Fluke to Elizabeth Warren and then . . .

    BUBBA!

    Clinton went in. For those that didn’t understand the issues, he just gave them a fundamental lecture on the past 4 years of politics in this country. The man is a BEAST on policy!

    I don’t think I’m going to be able to sleep tonight. That was AMAZING.

      Honestly, that was fucking awesome!!

        Clinton’s ability to give a speech to millions while making it seem like he is just having a convo with you as an individual is absolutely amazing. I also really loved how he addressed all those three hundred pound gorillas in the room (like how the Rethugs hate the Pres) without seeming to directly discuss the topic. He was on fire tonight. He has to be one of the best speakers in US History right up there with Lincoln.

          Yeah, you’re right. I had forgotten what a great speaker he really is, and add to that the fact that the man went all in for the Pres, it was just incredible.

          • Draxiar

            Nicole, I agree. It seems that everyone is on message (especially in promoting the President) in this convention and Bill wrapped that present to Barrak with a big pretty blue bow of a speech.

            Whereas with the RNC it seemed more like: blah blah blah rant rant rant yada yada yada…Goodnight…oh yeah…and Mitt Romney!

    • i_a_c

      Very good. Very detailed, and delivered in a way only President Clinton can.

      I wonder if that means that President Obama’s speech tomorrow night will be more soaring than detailed? I know I’m excited to find out.

      • incredulous72

        I believe Obama and his speech writers are reworking the speech as we speak. ;-)

        I do not believe however, that Obama’s speech will be short on policy or detail. It’s his floor tomorrow night and he’s gonna bring it.

        • i_a_c

          Is he going to try to upstage his wife? He better not. =P

          Whatever it is is guaranteed to be great.

      • stacib23

        I have a friend who had a great analogy. According to her, the First Lady told the story of who her husband was and who he is today. Bill Clinton took the baton and told the story of the job Obama has done over the last four years. Obama will pick up the baton tonight and tell us where he intends to take the country in the next four years.

        The Democrats have done a fantastic job of coordinating the subjects/tones of the speeches with who speaks before and who speaks after. They flow of the “conversation” is totally on point. This week has made me remember why I’m proud to be a Democrat.

        • incredulous72

          We’re a party that’s proud of our candidate/President.

          Unlike republicans that can’t even bring themselves to say their candidate’s name throughout their speeches.

    Erick Erickson is in trouble tonight. HA! Be sure to sign the petition to get him fired.

    http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/09/05/801441/erickson-sexist/

    • incredulous72

      The republican party is chock full of assholes, isn’t it?

    • Brutlyhonest

      Wow, ee being a sexist asshat; that’s so out of character. CNN won’t fire him, they simply lack the brass.

    • Lazarus Durden

      What an asshole.

  • Brutlyhonest

    In addition to the other fine speakers commented on here, I was impressed by Kamala Harris, California AG. I suspect we’ll see her AND Castro more in the future.

    Edit to add: I just saw the gop response to Pres Clinton’s address; I guess the alternate reality projected by it was better than their first draft of, “He kicked the shit out of us again.”

    • incredulous72

      Re: the romney response to Clinton’s speech; alternate reality indeed!

  • Lazarus Durden

    I’m white, male, and an atheist. Not once not for a single instance did I feel at all threatened by the line up of this convention. In fact just the opposite. I loved seeing women, and people of all ethnicities not only taking the stage to speak with passion about not only what it means to be a liberal but an American.

    I loved the shots of the crowd seeing Africian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Arabic Americans, Asian Americans, Indian Americans, old, young, men, and women. I loved the diversity.

    At the DNC I saw the America I want to live in. I love this party and I love my country.

    America fuck yeah! I’m fired the hell up!

  • mrbrink

    Pecos Bill Clinton was legendary.

    I think I seen him lasso an election last night.

    Watching MSNBC coverage and Lawrence “ambushing” Sen. Franken was great. I think I heard Sen. Franken use the phrase, “job charticles” like a hybrid of “charts and articles.” “Look at the job charticles…” Ha ha. I love that guy.

    That was the face of a beautifully true blue conventioneer right there.

  • mrbrink

    And I’d just like to say that Bill Clinton is a great reminder that when government champions, nurtures, promotes and provides for science, the arts, education, research and technology– we’re a more prosperous economy and better off as a culture.

    The worst policies of the Clinton years– DOMA, DADT, NAFTA, deregulation of Wallstreet– were all products of right wing conservative ideology for the most part. The products of hostile negotiations. Kind of like rape babies. But the worst of the Clinton years were the direct influence of the tyranny of the Republican party. Chris Hayes made a great point the other night when he said, to paraphrase: If you look at some of the lasting effects of some of the terrible legislation signed by president Clinton(DOMA, DADT, and so on)President Obama has undone some of that, while the legislation he has signed has expanded rights and protections, he has also held the line against such initiatives. Basically saying that Obama is doing more to resist signing off on policy that we’ll live to regret. I thought it was great analysis, on par with something Ashby said the other day about taking back foreign policy as a strength from Republicans.

    Oh, and Bob has been killing on twitter for at least two weeks straight. It’s like a marathon of awesome coming out of the House of Cesca.