God in the Platform

I laughed and laughed at this.

Artist – J.D. Crowe

In other news, even though the NFL regular season debuted last night, day two of the DNC topped day two of the RNC a week earlier in ratings by a margin of roughly 600,000. During the 10 pm hour, the total number of DNC viewers topped Giants-Cowboys viewers by roughly 400,000.

If football wasn’t on last night, the ratings gap between night two of the DNC and RNC would have been much larger. The reason the ratings matter at all is because it’s more exposure for the party platform and a greater chance we will see a post-convention bump.

Feel free to discuss tonight’s events here.

  • i_a_c

    Holy living fuck, who saw Jennifer Granholm? She blew the roof off the place.

      unusual for her. She was a very lackluster governor.

      Adding…..she’s also the primary reason that Republicans won everything in Michigan in 2010.

      • JMAshby

        Well, you know, some people don’t realize what they had until they lose it. And look who took over the state.

          Yeah, well I don’t know a single Michigan democrat who wants Granholm back. She should have stuck to the courtroom where she was very effective.

          • JMAshby

            Sorry, I wasn’t talking about you or Michigan dems. I was referring to her losing the office and seeing what became of it.

            oops……..sorry, Ashby. crossed wires. :)

    • agrazingmoose

      She did indeed.

      Just caught part of it, and she did indeed give a rousing speech.

      (and I hope she isn’t planning a presidential run herself in the future.)

      • i_a_c

        I think she was born in Canada so that won’t be an option.

  • mrbrink

    Shhhh. The MTV Music Video Awards are on. They’re giving an award away to Call Me Maybe! Bravo.

  • mrbrink

    Charlie Crist now prompts chants of Charlie! Charlie! Charlie! in my head.

  • http://twitter.com/stanchaz stan chaz

    The Democrats do not need to “restore” God.
    For unlike Republican hypocrites, they LIVE their values. Honestly.
    The Republicans real god is MONEY, and THEIR saints are those
    who have LOTS of it….and want it ALL.
    Those Republicans who would destroy Social Security & voucher Medicare to death,
    who would cut Pell grants, and who readily admit they “don’t care about the very poor”
    should stop, remember, and take to heart the ancient words so relevant for today:
    “Whatsoever you do for the least of these – you do for me”.
    There is God in each of us. And that is why we are bound to each other.
    If we do not believe that, and act upon that – then we are lost.
    As the Catholic Bishops agreed : The politics of Romney/Ryan masquerades as values
    …while harming those who are most at risk.
    Their proposed agenda does not praise God – it mocks God, it defiles God. And man…

    • incredulous72

      Amen!

  • mrbrink

    I think John Kerry just… inspired me?

    • JMAshby

      It’s like everyone missed his 2008 speech. He annihilated John McCain. Flawless victory.

      • mrbrink

        I always liked John Kerry. I voted for him in 2004. I don’t let anyone get away with disparaging him, or my vote for him. I defend it real good, too. But if John Kerry would have won, John Edwards would have never met Rielle Hunter. Their thunder love was meant to be.

          lol. :)

      • mrbrink

        Adding, Kerry mopped up Bush, too. It was a statesman debating the village idiot. America has an abusive relationship with itself.

        • Brutlyhonest

          That’s a no shitter. How funny (not haha) is it that Rmoney is everything the right wing maligned/painted Kerry as. So was bush, but at least they hid him behind a good-ol-boy facade.

        • JMAshby

          No shit.

    • incredulous72

      I kept rubbing my eyes and ears thinking I was seeing and hearing things.

  • Brutlyhonest

    I was upstairs working on my “education” at codeacademy when my wife called up to let me know John Nathman was speaking. I only caught the tail end of his remarks, but I can tell you he is one of the most no-nonsense people I ever worked for; he could sniff out BS as soon as a briefer started to think it!. It’s great to see he is as intelligent as I thought he was. It would be great to see him in a more public role during the President’s second term.

    Joe Biden is a national treasure, and I defy anyone to say otherwise!

    • mrbrink

      I double-dog defy anyone to say otherwise!

      • incredulous72

        I TRIPLE DOG DEFY!

    The President is kicking SERIOUS ass…..including Romney’s utterly inept and stupid ass!!

    “They want your vote, but they don’t want you to know their plan.”

    We KNOW their plan. And it involves nothing but misery for the American people!

  • JMAshby

    Well, remember that Republican convention thing they did last week? Looking back now that was more like a funeral.

    • i_a_c

      A funeral? Whoever died must not have had much family, what, with the empty chairs and all.

  • incredulous72

    The President can lay out policy in prose with complete ease and grace. There is not one insincere bone in this man’s body.

      There really isn’t. It’s one of the best things about him.

  • i_am_allwrite

    “I’m the president (bitches)!”
    I don’t know the degree to which that line came across outside of Charlotte, but here in town I can’t overstate the impact, the giddiness that he found such a simple and direct way to say “fuck you birthers and bigots.”

    • JMAshby

      People on Twitter sure loved it.

    • i_a_c

      I also envisioned a “bitches” after that line.

      Seriously, the power of the incumbency can’t be underestimated. The fact that the president has spent four years directing the armed forces and presiding over this country goes a long way.

      • i_am_allwrite

        What makes it brilliant is that it begs a response, so someone on Fox tomorrow morning will be arguing that he’s NOT the President.

        • i_a_c

          Look for a fact check from the AP to the effect of “Barack Obama claims to be the president, but some disagree.”

  • mrbrink

    “And while I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved together, I’m far more mindful of my own failings, knowing exactly what Lincoln meant when he said, “I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.””

    Quietly my favorite quote of the night.

  • i_a_c

    Best line from the speech?

    The one where the president stated that Rmoney was in a “cold war mind warp.” And that they’re “new” to foreign policy.

    I look forward to the foreign policy debate with the president taking that asshole fraud to the cleaners.

    The Republicans have nothing. They have no plan and no vision other than to return to failed Bush economic policy and failed Bush warmongering. They will absolutely go down in flames.