Ironically, Romney Now Apologizing For America

I jest, of course, because after holding a press conference to accuse the Obama administration of apologizing for America, the talking-points being circulated by the Romney campaign instructs surrogates to say that he rejects the message of the anti-Muslim film promoted by Florida Pastor Terry Jones.

Questions & Answers:

Don’t you think it was appropriate for the embassy to condemn the controversial movie in question? Are you standing up for movies like this?

– Governor Romney rejects the reported message of the movie. There is no room for religious hatred or intolerance.

– But we will not apologize for our constitutional right to freedom of speech.

This is absurd because this has been the consistent message of the Obama administration since the situation began last night. The Obama administration and the state department rejects the message of the film while respecting the right to free speech.

Romney’s press conference today wasn’t just opportunistic, it was an entirely dishonest farce. He was lying straight through the smirk on his face.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Lying Liars and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_am_allwrite

    It speaks volumes that someone in the GOP leaked this, and did it so quickly. Nice going DipMitt, you’ve really got to be a special kind of filth to disgust a republican.

    I suspect that this incident will be the beginning of a repub exodus from the romney camp. Probably not publicly, but I think Romney has managed to sway more repub voters to Obama.

    Adding…..i’m talking about the non-crazy repubs who will see this as a scary incident.

    • bphoon

      I certainly hope so. I’ve had conversations with more than one center-right Republican who feels abandoned by the GOP. A moderate Republican state senator from southern Kansas who was targeted for primary defeat by the Kansas Chamber of Commerce and Americans for [Koch Brothers] Prosperity–who were successful in buying the nomination for her Tea Party-backed opponent–has announced she’ll leave the GOP. In her statement, she says she doesn’t know yet whether she’ll change her voter registration to Democrat or Independent but she’s leaving the party. My step-mother, an 82-year-old life long Kansas Republican who voted for McCain in ’08, is horrified by Mitt Romney and tells me she’s leaning toward voting for Obama. My brother, a Tennessee center-right Republican tells me he doesn’t think he has a party to go to anymore. He says the GOP has abandoned him and he feels too conservative for the Democratic Party. He says he might as well become one of those independent voters everyone’s after.

      I have for a number of years believed that the GOP can’t sustain its current trend for very long. The govern-by-fear-scorched-earth-the-ends-justifies-any-means brand of politics isn’t what America is about to most people I know and it feels like–little by little–many are starting to wise up to the fraud that’s being perpetrated on them by the right wing.

      I remember as a youngster in the mid-’60s reading political tracts put out by the John Birch Society and chuckling at how outlandish their claims were. They were routinely ignored and dismissed as embarrassing cranks by conservatives of the day. Their claims were not so different from what the Tea Party is putting out today.

      The hard right extremists will be with us, unfortunately, for a long time to come. However, I believe that sooner or later they’ll be relegated, by attrition, back to the fringe where they belong.

        I agree with you. I also know some moderate and center-right Republicans who are very disappointed with Romney and the rest of the “rising stars” in the Repub party. It feels almost like 2008, and if it weren’t for Citizen’s United and the voter id laws, I would feel very confident that Pres Obama will win.

        That said, I think Romney is doing a bang-up job of throwing votes to Obama..

  • mrbrink

    Ha.

    These fucking imbeciles. They agree to disagree with themselves so resolutely.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Romney needs to apologize for calling himself an American.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Mitt Romney:

    “I stand by what I said, whatever it was.”

    Never before has a candidate summed his own nature up so succinctly.

  • burbank_burt