Jon Husted Continues to Defy Voting Rights and the Courts

The current secretary of state in Ohio is making Ken Blackwell look even-keeled. Husted has refused to acknowledge a court ruling that re-instates early voting.

Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted said in a memo Tuesday that he wouldn’t restore early voting hours for all voters in Ohio until an appeals court examines a federal judge’s ruling that restored those rights. The state of Ohio filed a notice of appeal with the Sixth Circuit court on Tuesday.

“Announcing new hours before the court case reaches final resolution will only serve to confuse voters,” Husted said in his memo. “Therefore, there is no valid reason for my office or the county boards of elections to set hours for in-person absentee voting the last three days before the election at this time.”

I hope the Romney campaign is paying him well. Perhaps some kind of federal appointment or endorsement has been negotiated because this guy is fighting the voters of Ohio as if his life depended on it.

  • rob black

    What is more disgusting..or to snatch an invective hijacked by the bumper sticker addicted right… UN-AMERICAN….than these efforts to disenfranchise voters?
    Your ideas, your very ideology is so repugnant in the light of day, you have so little confidence they will survive in the marketplace of the ballot box. Rigging the game through Diebold tampering is not enough, a never ending river of lies and obstruction is not enough. Attempting to ruin the country’s credit in the global market is not enough.
    You must physically prevent citizens from exercising a right that people were dying for less than a generation ago. A right that is literally the heart of a democracy you claim to defend and rail to “take back”.
    If there is one, never mentioned thing, this President has accomplished, merely by his existence, it is to expose, what a truly sick and twisted movement the American Right has become.
    They know no shame. They have no conscience. They deserve nothing better than to be rightfully consigned to the dust bin of history.

    • Chachizel

      Wow!! I’m scared of you, haha. Great post Rob, and I agree with 1000% (Sorry, Republican math)

      • rob black

        After years of “eliminationist” bullshit from their side, I am starting to think in those terms about them. They hurt the country so deeply when they are in power. They pass on their hate mongering crap to their offspring..so they aren’t just going to die off. They set us all back 30 years every time they are allowed to pass a law, and they get worse every election cycle………just enough already. They need to abandon their current reactionary, anti-progress, anti-everybody but them mental illness and join the real world. Rupert Murdock and Roger Ailes have ruined them irredeemably…

    • D_C_Wilson

      If you follow the global history of the right, it all started with Milton Friedman and the Chicago school. They sent their disciples down to South America in the 70s and 80s, where they (supported by the CIA) pulled these same kinds of shenanigans like voter suppression and attacking unions. The next step was a military coup and “disappearing” dissidents. They’re just bringing these same tactics home in order to lock in their privileges before demographics ruin things for the angry white conservative Christian male.

  • Grunt3
    • Victor_the_Crab

      FUCK OFF, SPAMMER!!!!!

  • zirgar

    I’m much more concerned about the campaign fraud currently being perpetrated by the GOP.

    If the judge who made that ruling had any sack at all, he would order the sheriff to go arrest Husted for contempt of court. I would pay five dollars to watch that perp walk.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Charge Jon Husted with treason. Because that’s what he’s doing.