Kris Kobach, Creator of “Papers Please,” Also a Birther

Kris Kobach, the grandfather of “Papers Please” anti-immigration law and an adviser to Mitt Romney, said yesterday that he and the state board of elections was considering removing President Obama from the November ballot.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, an informal advisor to Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, said on Thursday he and his fellow members of a state board were considering removing President Barack Obama from the Kansas ballot this November.

Kobach is part of the State Objections Board along with Attorney General Derek Schmidt and Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer, all Republicans. The Topeka Capital-Journal reported that on Thursday the board agreed to consider whether to take Obama off the ballot because they said they lacked sufficient evidence about his birth certificate.

“I don’t think it’s a frivolous objection,” Kobach said, according to the Capital-Journal. “I do think the factual record could be supplemented.”

I can hardly contain my shock that the man who came up with “Papers Please” is also a Birther.

Kobach and the Objections Board are reportedly sending records requests to Hawaii, Arizona and Mississippi. With any luck, Hawaii will give Kansas the same treatment it did Arizona and the jackbooted Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Mitt Romney described Kobach’s “Papers Please” anti-immigration law as a “model for the country” during the Republican primary campaign. Romney’s rigid, far-right stance on immigration during the primary permanently cost him a large portion of the Latino vote.

Update: The Kansas man who objected to President Obama being on the ballot has reportedly withdrawn his complaint.

(h/t Attorney April Cockerham)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    Seriously, I would like to know if and how the full faith and credit clause of the constitution enters into this issue. Hawaii has issued a birth certificate officially approved by the state. Doesn’t the constitution require that other states accept it? When people quibbled about it, Hawaii officials verified that it was a true and accurate record of a birth in Hawaii. Does anyone/any other state really have a right to say “not good enough”?

    Especially since at this point, really, there is nothing that these clowns will accept.

  • Brutlyhonest

    This is another example of why the truther/birther comparison is a false equivalency. “Leaders” on the right continue to be a part of the ridiculousness while anyone on the left who mentions a conspiracy around the 9/11 attacks is flayed and rejected.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Given that Obama’s chances of actually winning Kansas are about nil, this really was just a symbolic f/u to the president.

    Kobach made himself look like an ass in an exercise that will have no impact on the election.

    • bphoon

      When I saw this in the paper this morning, I could hardly believe my eyes. I mean, the idea that Koback, primary author of Arizona’s and Alabama’s anti-immigration laws as well as the bulk of the Voter ID laws now under litigation, is a birther is a non-surprise of the first order. What I couldn’t believe is that he got two other GOP knotheads to take this thing seriously along with him. One of the first things that came to mind was how Kansas became a national laughing stock over the state Board of Education pushing “intelligent design” in the public schools back in the ’90s: “Here we go again…”

      When Montgomery withdrew his objection, he said all he intended to do was to “start a dialog, a serious debate.” Sure thing, bub. It helps to have something to debate about in order to start a debate. The topper for me, though, was seeing Kobach’s statement that he wasn’t acting in a partisan manner. The man doesn’t have a non-partisan bone in his body! Saying he wasn’t acting in a partisan manner is like saying the sky isn’t blue.

      I’m sure he views himself as the Right Wing’s Next Very Serious Rising Star in the mold of Paul Ryan–who all the wingers here virtually worship.

      We’ve got a pack of real winners here, from Kevin Yoder skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee to Tim Huelskamp claiming that Planned Parenthood’s sole purpose is to kill children of color to Kris Kobach doing what he does…

      I can see the Kansas tourism ads now: “Come to Kansas where we have all this and free entertainment too!”