Lyin’ Ryan

Artist – Adam Zyglis

In other news, Team Romney is reportedly planning a “big push” for Hispanic votes in the final weeks of the election.

Good luck with that.

Feel free to discuss tonight’s DNC events (or anything else) here. OFA is also running an official liveblog here.

  • i_a_c

    Man, I’m a dunce. I should have been watching the DNC on C-SPAN this whole time instead of listening to the MSNBC talking heads. I totally missed Strickland’s speech which Bob said was great.

    But from what I have seen, I like it!

    Tammy Duckworth is an inspiration to us all. Until Bob tweeted it, I had no idea that the Rs want to remove women from combat roles. Ridiculous. Here’s to beating that asshole Joe Walsh.

    The Ted Kennedy video was really something. Multiple choice Romney. Hah!

    The best moment yet came from Stacy Lihn, who shared the story of her daughter’s congenital heart defect. Without the ACA, the heart surgeries she needed would have put her at the insurance policy’s lifetime cap. It was very moving, and is exactly the kind of personal story that will sell people on the law’s benefits.

    Rahm is not a particularly compelling speaker, but I still like him.

    It is a friggin miracle that I am watching at all. My toddler usually monopolizes what we watch but tonight Momma gets to watch the DNC! Strickland was very good and Duckworth and the Mom from AZ both very inspirational. Effin CNN talas king about Jerusalem being removed from platform. Asshats

  • Victor_the_Crab

    In other news, Team Romney is reportedly planning a “big push” for Hispanic votes in the final weeks of the election.

    And by “big push”, we assume it to be a big push right out of the country.

    • incredulous72

      FTW!

  • muselet

    Oh. Dear. Lord.

    –alopecia

    • i_a_c

      Just imagine if The Nation did something like that for Barack Obama.

      • muselet

        The howls of outrage would be deafening.

        there would be a shitstorm, fer sure

      I know! When I saw that earlier I didn’t need to see the original poster it is based on…I recognized the style immediately. They’re betting that the average American will be too uneducated to notice that the style is borrowed from Soviet Era Russia. And sadly, they are probably right. The Russians used that style for a reason…because psychologically it works.

      • muselet

        Sure the style works, but the National freakin’ Review using Soviet Realism? On its cover? To fluff the RomneyBot and the zombie-eyed granny-starver?

        If it were an anti-Obama cover, yeah, I’d have expected this sort of thing, but those two are The Saviors Of Capitalism From The Darky Pretender. (Righties just don’t do irony.)

        As commenter “Dee Loralei iPhone” at Balloon Juice put it:

        That’s so bad parody commited suicide after murdering irony. Conservatives are very strange.

          I agree, but I think that there’s something deeper going on here. Either the righties who put this illustration together are either ignorant of the irony or they’re so cynical that they don’t care. Either way, it scares the sh*t out of me. On that, I think you and I can both agree.

          • muselet

            My guess is the editors shrugged and said the rubes would never know the difference.

            The illustrator (almost typed “artist”) was slavishly copying a Stalin-era poster, right down to the sweep of the flag. He couldn’t possibly have been unaware of the irony of promoting über-capitalist Mitt Romney that way (and I hope he drank himself to sleep, knowing that the commie was a better artist than he’ll ever be).

            And yeah, the fact that NR is pushing its candidates with Stalinist imagery is disturbing as hell.

            (Incidentally, and I promise this is a not-entirely irrelevant aside, there was a throwaway joke once on Friends, the setup of which was that the length of a man’s … well … you know is the same as the distance from the tip of his thumb to the tip of his index finger. The only reason I bring that up is that the artist seems to think Mitt Romney’s manhood is immense. Either that or he failed Anatomy for Artists.)

            (and now I am off to check out finger length because I TOTALLY missed that angle!!!!!)

    Deval Patrick is an amazing speaker! “We’re Americans. We shape our own future!” It’s like a good old time revival….almost makes me miss revivals…almost but not quite. ;)

    I just started watching…..

    Julian Castro is a very gifted speaker, enormously charismatic.

      He is good….he’s actually pretty good at controlling pace and seemingly comfortable. He”s building to a crescendo to finish.

        Yes, he is excellent! Presidential material in 2020 perhaps.

  • JMAshby

    Castro killed it.

    • i_a_c

      I liked your tweet about the Democratic bench. We have charismatic people with lots of potential. The GOP has another Bush and that fat asshole from Jersey.

        HA! Perfectly stated.

      • D_C_Wilson

        And Santorum!

        Lots and lots of Santorum.

          yes, goes right along with the fat asshole from Jersey ;)

        • i_a_c

          Yes, that is some terrible imagery right there.

          But the GOP has a bunch of nobodies who think they’re somebody. Santorum, for instance. Yeah, I know, we have our Kuciniches. But we have candidates with talent and a vision. It’s no wonder the Obama campaign theme is “forward.” There was no vision whatsoever at the RNC. Just waxing poetic about how great the country used to be, at least according to them. Bush, J. and Christie are just retreads of old bullshit, full of resentment and anger.

    • eljefejeff

      I came on here to write the exact same thing. Totally killed it. 2nd best keynote speech I’ve ever heard

  • i_a_c

    I liked Julian Castro’s speech.

    He’s young, only 37. I wonder how long before he can take a shot at Texas’ governorship. If he aspires to be the president, that’s the route I would take.

  • i_a_c

    Michelle Obama’s speech shows how to personalize a candidate.

    The Republicans failed. Miserably.

  • JMAshby

    Michelle Obama was magnificent.

    She made Ann Romney look like a petty fool and marginalized Mitt Romney without saying their names a single time. Completely out-classed.

      Exactly……she was freaking great!

      also……..Ann Romney IS a petty fool.

    VERY different from the Republican convention. We Democrats are not currently suffering from any deficit of enthusiasm!

    Michelle Obama absolutely nailed it. She is a rock star!’

    Adding…..I wish she would take back what she said previously and consider running for Pres in 2016!

    • incredulous72

      I think she would run screaming from the White House like Macaulay Culkin in “Home Alone” if given the choice.

        Yeah, I think so too. It’s a shame because I think she would be a wonderful president.

          Well, the best presidents would be the one’s who don’t really want it, right? The one’s who are humble enough, real enough…..they’re what we need and will never have.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    She’s real, and she’s spectacular.

      I saw what you did there…hehe

  • incredulous72

    The First Lady just gave an outstanding speech. She is “the heart” of this campaign.

    There will be comparisons between the spouses’ speeches so I’m just going to say it:

    Michelle Obama’s speech shut the front and back doors on Ann Romney’s speech.

    When I grow up, I want to be Michelle Obama. /no snark meant whatsoever

    • incredulous72

      Ditto!
      Uhm, just out of curiosity, what’s the ballpark age for “grownup” nowadays?

      I’m hoping it’s 50 ‘cuz at 40, for me does not a grownup make.

        You must have been reading my mind! I was thinking the same thing. At 42 I do not feel grown up. Let’s just pretend that we’re young at heart because it sounds so much better than immature, don’t you think? ;)

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I wanna marry Michelle Obama. What? She’s already taken?!! DAMN YOU, BARAK OBAMA!!!!!
      ;)

  • Brutlyhonest

    Some great comments here. The thread re: the Dem bench made me laugh so hard I spit on my monitor – until it made me nearly puke from the frothy visual :P

    Here’s why Michelle Obama nailed her speech and Ann Romney didn’t: Michelle is genuine.

    • incredulous72

      EXACTLY!

  • mrbrink

    Day 1: T.K.O.