Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan: Closeted Redistributionists

My Thursday column has several instances of “dick quotes”…

Four years ago yesterday, John McCain and Sarah Palin were 1.9 percentage points behind then-Senator Barack Obama in the RCP poll-of-polls. Today, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are 2.8 percentage points behind President Obama in the RCP poll-of-polls. Romney is currently doing worse than McCain’s ill-fated attempt at the presidency.

And there’s nothing on the horizon that could really change the dismal course of events in Romney’s favor, shy of a major presidential gaffe or an out-of-the-blue scandal of some sort. (Though I hasten to warn: this thing is far from over and any number of factors could dramatically shift the outcome of the election.)

So knowing all of this, it’s astonishing to me that Mitt Romney would rewind back to the failed McCain/Palin campaign and, specifically, its big bad red-scare “redistributionist” attack against Obama. It’s not surprising given how Romney has an impulsive habit saying whatever pops into his bulbous head — anything to get him through the day, anything that might work. Why not resurrect McCain’s failed attack, too? In fact, why not indiscriminately leap onto something that right-wing propagandist Matt Drudge posted on his site: a 14-year-old piece of video in which the president said, “I actually believe in redistribution at least at a certain level…”

Shock horror! Continue reading here…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/GodIsDead Gern Blandston

    Bulbous. Heh.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    It drives me batshit when I hear GOP politicians, media enablers and fans claim that they “don’t believe in redistribution.” Of course they do. Everyone does. the only difference is what gets redistributed, how, when, where, by whom, from whom, to whom, by what means, and for what purpose.

    Same thing with people who say they believe in “freedom,” meaning the absence of “government” “controlling people’s lives” “by force”. Everyone “believes in” using the “force” of law (i.e., government) to “control people’s lives.” The only difference is who and what gets controlled, when, how, why, by whom, for whom, by what means, on whose behalf, and to what end.

    I didn’t hear anyone complaining when George W. Bush was stealing my wealth and redistributing it to Halliburton, Blackwater, ExxonMobil and the Office of Faith-Based Initiatives. For all the whining about “wealth” being “confiscated” so that some poor kid in Detroit can eat macaroni instead of newspaper, I didn’t hear a peep about my wealth being confiscated so some poor kid in Baghdad could be dead instead of alive.

    • Brutlyhonest

      Redistributing wealth upwards is fine; also from blue states to red.

      I know exactly what you mean. I talk to libertarians here in AZ all the time who claim to be anti-redistributionists but love to brag about how much they love America. That’s when I take a deep breath and start explaining what it means to live in a community, the social contract, and the fact every modern government in the world uses redistribution and so does America–and has done so since day one. By that time their eyes have glazed over. That’s when I lose it and yell at them, “you hate everything America is really about, so STFU!”

        You GO, girl!!

  • Ned F

    Fourteen years ago Obama was building his policy wonk credentials and political resume. Romney, fourteen years ago, was busy redistributing jobs overseas and redistributing company pensions to his pockets.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1380131435 Therese Hentz

    Tax cuts for the wealthy is REDISTRIBUTION ON METH—quickly sucking the host [the US] DRY and REDISTRIBUTING jobs to China, and the cash, off-shore.

    I’m nobody and know this.
    RE-FRAME THE ARGUMENT.

  • bphoon

    …Ron Paul who, in spite of his adolescent Ayn Rand hero worship, collects Social Security: quite literally money that’s paid into a trust fund by today’s workers and is redistributed to Ron Paul every month.

    Not to mention the tax money that’s redistributed to him in the form of his $167,000.00 annual Congressional base salary and the tax money that’s redistributed to his office for travel allowance, postal franking privileges, the salary and benefits of his staff members, his federally funded health insurance, etc.

    Fucking hypocrites, all of ‘em.