Mitt Romney Doesn’t Seem to Understand Optics

Just as Democrats began to convene in Charlotte to invariably blast Mitt Romney for being a wealthy Thurston Howell III-meets-Gordon Gecko elitist, Romney decided to take a long weekend vacation during which he hopped aboard his motor boat and jet ski.

It’s not a sailboard — Kerry’s optics gaffe. This is actually worse, especially when he just spoke to the convention about the high price of gasoline. Julian Castro was exactly right: he just doesn’t get it.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ned F

    I wish I had a boat like that. I’ll bet if I vote for Mitt I can have one too.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I want a magical unicorn that pisses rainbows and shits ice cream.

  • Ipecac

    Many times over the past months I have resisted the temptation to call Mitt Romney “Thurston Howell III” because I LIKE Thurston Howell III, and I don’t want to disparage him by equating him with Romney.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-Morgan/100000299284844 Rich Morgan

    Is this a real thing? 1. the video won’t run, 2. the video isn’t on the C&L page and 3. it’s also not on the Maddow page.

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1105448311 Barbara Hanson

      It runs. It’s running right now for me.

      • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-Morgan/100000299284844 Rich Morgan

        Thanks, it ran for me just now.

  • lahru

    Rmoney was supposedly in Vermont practicing for the debates for 3 days with no campaign stops scheduled. By my account he was there overnight and was in West Lebanon, NH the next day at some lumber yard selectivly campaigning to approved folks. Gonna phone it in maybe?

    I think we are going to start to see more and more of this. It was clear from the RNC Convention that Romney found out what the rest of the world already knows–the Republicans just ain’t that into him.

    Very soon after he gets his ass handed to him by Obama in the first debate, the Republicans will conclude that it is time to cut and run. Money spent on Romney will be considered a bad investment. Even super-pac money will start to be diverted to try and shore up support for congressional races and to try and win a majority in the senate.

    Willard was bad enough–and they all knew it–but now all evidence is supporting the fact that their boy Ryan is a psychopath and is turning people off right and left. So what’s Willard to do? Hell, might as well go boating.

  • i_a_c

    Looks like Romney is riding the failboat to Loserville.

    • chris castle

      LOL! Good one!

  • chris castle

    It is worse; even I can afford a sailboard…

  • JackDaniel07

    Bluegal is exactly right, Romney doesn’t want to win.

      i disagree.

      I think he wants to win, he is just tired of/bored with the whole thing. See, it’s a game to him, and he’s now figured out that he’s probably going to lose, that he’s said and done too many stupid things.

      Mitt Romney is not the kind of guy who likes to lose.

      • JackDaniel07

        he sure does it a lot!

          lol.

          indeed he does. :)

  • Chachizel

    Speaking of the upcoming debate…I wonder if Romney is going to actually try to debate with facts and/or “arithmetic”, or just the usual right wing bullshit arguments that are repeated over and over and over and over. I truly can’t see a situation where he bests this President. Maybe I’m a little biased, but I just don’t see how Mittens can seriously argue for trickle down, more tax cuts, de-regulation, the right’s war on women, etc, etc. Gonna be interesting

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    If this was John Kerry in 2004, it would’ve been the top story for the rest of the campaign.

  • Treading_Water

    I don’t believe that Rmoney realized that he would have to actually put in an effort in order to get elected. He seems to think that he is entitled, that it is now his turn and all he has to do is show up.

    I once had a teacher in High School tell us that all the B and C students would have a better first semester of college. He said that all the A students didn’t really know how to put in the effort, that things came easily to them. That’s the problem with Rmoney. He never really had to do the work, he always had things handed to him gift wrapped and tied with a bow.

    The debates should be interesting, a professorial college “elitist” against the real elitist child of wealth and privilege. One man who worked hard for what he has achieved, and another who has gotten everything he felt he deserved handed to him on a silver platter.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    That draining sound you hear is Mitt Romney’s and the Republican party’s hopes of victory in November being flushed down the toilet where it can be with all their soulmates/kindered spirits.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I think it’s the CEO mentality. The boss isn’t supposed to be concerned with what the help thinks of him. The help is supposed to follow their betters.