Mitt Romney’s Coattails are On Fire

Nate Silver via Twitter:

The meltdown of the Romney campaign is destroying Republican hopes for the Senate, too.

Another few weeks and will Democrats win back the House? Please, Mr. Romney, keep saying and doing stupid stuff.

  • NullibicityAnoesis

    $http://goo.gl/cTglk

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1380131435 Therese Hentz

      OUR ZOMBIES are better-dressed.

    I’ve seen this on a lot of pro-Obama sites but I really don’t want to get my hopes up too much. But I can dream! And boy do I. Can you imagine what the President would be able to do with the Dems in control of both Houses? And it being his second term where he doesn’t have to give a damn about re-election. Then again, as soon as that happens the Blue Dog Dems will suddenly forget they’re Dems. Anybody want to lay bets on how fast they tack to the right if or when we win back the House?

    • bphoon

      How much was he able to get done the last time the Dems controlled both houses of Congress?

        Well there is a numerical majority versus a numerical majority that can overcome the filibuster (what is it? 60%?). In the first instance not a lot, in the second, quite a lot.

      • agrazingmoose

        For four months…

        He got healthcare reform passed after decades of failed attempts. That alone would be huge thing to get through in the very very short window between Franken being sworn in and Scott Brown’s election. Beyond that, they didn’t have a filibuster-proof majority, and there was an opposition party devoted to filibustering everything, so, yeah, not much you can do about that unless you want to just violate the laws of the land (you know, like they did in Wisconsin to ram their stuff through over objections and filibusters).

    • i_a_c

      The only way to know for sure is to win. Sure as hell beats losing.

      I’m guessing the Republicans will continue to be their obstructionist selves, but I also think the president will be freer to stay in “campaign mode” to tackle tougher issues and take his agenda straight to the people if reelected.

      If we’re lucky, maybe some of the mainstream Republicans left will join a coalition to actually fucking run the country for once. I’m not expecting some kind of liberal enlightenment. Obama will likely govern from the center to center-left just as he has been doing.

      • bphoon

        Could happen that the few remaining moderate Republicans might form such a coalition but that still leaves open the question of the Blue Dogs. One can hope they’ll have seen the futility of trying to work with Republicans and stay a little closer to the party line but I ain’t holding my breath on either. Most Blue Dogs are concerned with their own personal agendas first, last and always and if that happens to dove-tail with the country’s or the party’s, good enough but it’s not a requirement. I’m not sure there are going to be enough moderate Republicans left to make much of a difference. Perhaps, in the interest of actually governing, some might be persuaded to cross party lines to defeat a filibuster but that’s certainly not a given.

        As for Right Wing World&reg, if Obama’s reelected–especially if they fail to take the Senate and they lose the House–I’m pretty sure they’ll decide that they weren’t aggressively conservative enough and will double down on teh crazy. They’re certain to become even more obstructionist–and obstreperous–under such conditions.

        • i_a_c

          I have a slightly different view. I don’t think Republicans will suddenly hold hands and sing Kumbaya. No doubt that the teabaggers will insist that they aren’t being conservative enough and get even crazier–they do this every election cycle. But on the other hand, if Obama is reelected, we keep the Senate, and especially if we retake the House, it will be evident that the pandering to Teh Crazy and the obstructionism strategy failed, and miserably at that. Maybe some Republicans will fear primaries, maybe some will be better off avoiding Teh Crazy, and maybe some others think that they’ll lose no matter what. It’s tough to predict what will happen, but some additional pressure from the Chief Executive might be able to twist a few arms for the good of the country.

          I am not worried about the Blue Dogs. They will do what they think they need to do, and they’ll be with us when it’s important. I probably give them more slack than many liberals on the interweb. We need them to ensure that Nancy Pelosi is the Speaker again.

          • bphoon

            I do understand your comments about the Blue Dogs but I don’t have much use for them after all the shit they pulled during the ACA debates. Call me bitter but I don’t think they can be relied upon in a tight spot unless someone buys them off a la Ben Nelson.

          • i_a_c

            Oh, I was frustrated like you during the ACA debate. Whenever that happens, I try to remind myself that the Democratic Party is the big tent party that represents a wide variety of beliefs. In a sense, I’m glad we don’t march in lockstep like Republicans.

        • D_C_Wilson

          The GOP will double-down on the crazy. There is no doubt about it. They are still hostage to the teabaggers and I don’t see that changing even if the democrats win across the board. There are too many True Believers who have managed to work there way into state and county party leadership positions and in legislative bodies across the country.

          And though they won’t say so publicly, it scares the shit out of the national party’s leadership.

  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    This is all meaningless if people don’t (or can’t) vote. We cannot keep our eyes off the ball until this thing is over.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1380131435 Therese Hentz

    Mitt isn’t capable of the tasks at hand. Caution: I felt the same of GWB.

  • bphoon

    Hey, isn’t this about the time in the ’08 campaign when McCain/Palin starting going down in flames?

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Pretty much. The difference seems to be that Romney/Ryan is burning up much faster.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Yeah, we’re right about at the point where McCain suspended his campaign in response to the meltdown and Palin was running around the country being Palin.

      The thing is that Romney/Ryan is already a pile of ashes. There’s not much further down to go and not much left to set fire to.