Paul Ryan Then. Paul Ryan Now.

Paul Ryan was for the defense cuts he did or did not vote for before he was against the defense cuts he did or did not vote for.

Do you follow? Me neither.

via ThinkProgress

SEAN HANNITY (FOX NEWS, HOST): Alright. How much are we getting the first year and how much are we getting the second year? How much is in defense? And how do we hold future congresses accountable to what you’re doing today?

RYAN: Right, right, that’s a good question. So, $21 billion right away for the first fiscal year. Then it’s about $46, I think, that’s off the top of my head, for the second fiscal year. How much out of defense in the first fiscal year will be $9 billion from what we call the security accounts. That’s not just defense. That’s all security. The Homeland Security, National Security. And then $2 billion to $4 billion the next year. So, the cuts on defense are — were minimized quite a bit by the most recent agreement John Boehner reached.

That was Paul Ryan in August of last year.

Here’s Paul Ryan yesterday.

O’DONNELL: Right. A trillion dollars in defense spending, and you voted for it!

RYAN: No, Norah. I voted for the Budget Control Act.

O’DONNELL: That included defense spending!

RYAN: Norah, you’re mistaken.

Substance!

The “agreement John Boehner reached” is the agreement wherein John Boehner claimed he acquired “98 percent of what [he] wanted.” Paul Ryan voted for that agreement. Ryan would detail the cuts to defense spending to Sean Hannity shortly after a final agreement was reached.

Norah O’Donnell was clearly not mistaken, and Paul Ryan is a terrible liar.

It was not without consequences to the economy, but it’s amusing that the Republicans are still suffering from the rope-a-dope President Obama pulled on them last year with the Budget Control Act.

I can only imagine the knots Republicans will twist themselves into next year as they try to pretend they didn’t vote for a blueprint that included the imminent expiration of the Bush Tax Cuts. They may not live it down until the next election.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Lying Liars and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/GodIsDead Gern Blandston

    And WHAT will they do if those defense budget cuts take place, and the Bush tax cuts expire, and nobody bombs us, and the economy improves?

    Why, they’ll take credit for it, of course, saying it was the delayed results of their policies that are the TRUE heroes here!

  • bphoon

    The more I see Ryan with that fake-boy-scout-oh-so-earnest look on his face the more I see a smarmy fuck who can’t stop himself from lying about his record. He’s like the rest of the GOP, not giving the rest of us credit for having a memory that goes back more than about 90 days.

    • gescove

      Bob needs to give his “Punch Me Face” designation to Ryan now that Glenn Beck is less visible. I can’t think of a more deserving heir to the title.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Make up your minds, wingnuts: Either the government doesn’t create jobs or cutting the defense budget will cause job losses. It can’t be both.

    And please keep pointing out that there haven’t been any defense cuts yet (the budget has gone up every year), so to “reverse Obama’s cuts” (as the ads running in East Wingnuttistan promise to do), Rmoney will have to make some cuts!

      Wingnuttistan does not follow the laws of physics as we know them , being that it’s a quantum pimple universe. This is both how a lower deficit can be the “largest in history” and how the government can’t create jobs and also cutting the defense budget causes job losses. Among hundreds of other observationally disproved items of Republican canon.

  • Alex0001

    It’s such an unnecessary lie too. All he has to say is he voted for it because it contained most of what he wanted and would settle for the rest he didn’t like. That’s bipartisanship for fucks sake! Romney/Ryan really are just actively trying to alienate everyone except their base.