President Challenges Romney to be Clear on War Posture

On 60 Minutes last night:

“Let’s see what I’ve done since I came into office: I said I’d end the war in Iraq. I did. I said that we’d go after Al Qaeda. They’ve been decimated in the FATA,” he said, referring to Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas, along the remote border with Afghanistan. “That we’d go after bin Laden. He’s gone. So I’ve executed on my foreign policy. And it’s one that the American people largely agree with.”

“So if Governor Romney is suggesting that we should start another war, he should say so,” Obama said.

Romney has certainly been bellicose about Iran, Syria and even Russia. But he’s stopped short of specifics in those areas. Surely he’d engage in another way. We know this. He just hasn’t come out and said it. But this was smart politics on behalf of the president — now he almost has to answer the question.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/kurt.basham Kurt Basham

    Dammit, why did I start reading the Teatard comments (i.e. pretty much all the comments) in the Yahoo link you provided?

    • Draxiar

      It’s like watching a bloody body maiming car accident…it’s a horrible thing that you *just have* to see…

        I know! I try to not look but I can’t help it. Then I can’t resist responding to them because they’re sooooo gorram stupid! Aaarrrrrggggghhhhh

    • Brutlyhonest

      Those fookers are everywhere; they even troll comics pages.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I avoid them like the plague. The stupid is strong with those losers.

  • Draxiar

    And given the general disdain that people have for wars of choice…especially ones that aren’t paid for (I surely hope the repetition of that fact has resonated)…it puts Mitt in the tough position of declaring a stance on the matter either now or potentially in the debates when they speak of foreign policy.

  • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

    “now he almost has to answer the question”

    Don’t count on it.

  • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

    Unrelated, but should be a news items later in the day.

    BuzzFeed finds a 2010 video of Paul Ryan calling the Cayman Islands “the place you hide your money” while making the case for changing the corporate income tax.

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/paul-ryan-cayman-islands-the-place-you-hide-your

      Ryan’s comments aren’t likely to stir up a huge controversy…..he made a case for keeping corp money in America rather than the Cayman Islands.

      I despise both Ryan and Romney, but if this video flies, I’ll eat my prettiest hat.

  • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmV2gGq-2Tk&feature=player_embedded

    Paul Ryan (in 2010):

    “Rather than having Ireland and the Cayman island be the haven for capital formation, the place where you hide your money, why don’t we make it America.”

    PBO:

    “I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.”

  • bphoon

    Romney mouths words placed in to his memory banks by his advisers. He doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground on foreign policy.

  • i_a_c

    The right wing media is all over a certain “gaffe.” They claim that the president called the assassination of our Libyan ambassador a “bump in the road.” The president said no such thing of course, unless you believe in wild exaggerations and replacing the context of the quote.

    The only thing more desperate than this line of attack has been the pundits’ attempt to concern troll. Howard Fineman characterized this as an embarrassing gaffe which the president should be held accountable for. Are you shitting me? How much more of Romney’s water can you carry, Howard? Why not just read off the latest RedState blog posts?

    How about this? Howard Fineman is embarrassing and should be held accountable.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      There’s nothing that a good facespanking wouldn’t do to fix Howard Fineman’s attitude.