Romney Said The Economy is ‘Getting Better’

Romney made a big mistake by bringing up the “Are you better off?” question. Two reasons: 1) despite the pesky epidemic of political amnesia in America, people still remember when the economy crashed four years ago, and 2) Mitt Romney himself has repeatedly said the economy is getting better. Literally.

January, 2012:

“And [President Obama]’s going to say the economy is getting better,” Romney said. “Thank heavens it’s getting better. It’s getting better not because of him, it’s in spite of him and what he’s done.”

On the Laura Ingraham show:

“Well, of course, it’s getting better. The economy always gets better after a recession. There is always a recovery.”

Whoops.

    Eric Cantor dutifully repeated/recited the “Every president except Carter and Obama has been able to say we’re better off than four years ago” line from the GOP’s improv act today. He said it with a kind of repeat-after-me hypnosis quality.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_VBMA3EKCLJP2BLMO7W3KKZYB3M Dennis

    I don’t know if you’re following the economy or not, but last January, it did look like it was getting better. That was then, now it looks like it wasn’t getting better then, and is not getting better now. By GDP and by jobs.

    • ranger11

      Still better than 4 years ago. Unless the Wall Street collapse doesn’t count.