Romney Wants More Skin in the Game, So Let’s Start with His

My Wednesday column digs deeper into Romney’s twisted “47 percent” video and how it sounds as if the Republicans are suddenly becoming feverishly pro-tax.

Throughout the last 24 hours, Republicans and Romney surrogates have been scrambling to twist their walnut brains around their candidate’s remarkably wrong/misleading/stupid hidden video remarks. Some of them have desperately pointed at the president’s 2008 hidden video footage as a pathetic excuse for their own candidate’s ineptitude. Others, like Rush Limbaugh, have defined the video as a “golden opportunity” for Romney to define real conservative values. Paul Ryan awkwardly referred to Romney’s performance on the video as “inarticulate.” Odd, since I understood every word he said, and much of it was in complete sentences using actual English vocabulary and, though ridiculous and disturbing, the sentences were coherent.

Chris Christie and even Romney himself used the cliche “skin in the game” to reiterate what was said on the tape. The Republicans believe the fallacious “47 percent” who don’t pay income taxes should be forced to pay up — to have some “skin” in the process of governing the country. When they do, they’ll feel better about themselves because they’ll be contributing to the greater good.

Interesting. Maybe I’m missing something in the new Romney message, but this sounds a lot like a case for tax hikes, the elimination of deductions and an overall “redistributionist” approach to government. Romney and his supporters sound like they want everyone in the 47 percent to pay up, and by “pay up” they’re talking about taxes. Continue reading here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    And I know I sound like a stuck record, but when are we going to snatch their definition of “skin in the game” and “contributing to the greater good” away from them and make it clear that the vast majority of 47 percenters *do* have skin in the game?

    We are contributing our time, talents, energy, and yes, money, every day to our schools, churches, communities, friends, neighbors, and families. And that is important and necessary and critical to this country’s success!

    How dare these clowns bray about how we have to start contributing our “fair share”! We already do!

    Discussing the other taxes we (yeah, I’m one of them) pay is important and necessary, but it accepts their premise that whether and how much you pay is the measure of your contributions as a citizen and I think that is wrong.

  • Zen Diesel

    I learned in one week that a) I am not middle class “I fall short of the $200,000″ and 2) I am a freeloader because I voted and will vote for Obama again “since I don’t pay taxes, is it too late for me to get back my money from all the taxes I mistakenly paid” 3) the media monkey buffoons circling the wagons to salvage Mr. Goodhair Assclown presidential candidacy have nothing left in their bucket of bullshit to throw on the walls.

    • TerranceGilmore

      Speaking of good hair… My fiance and I both knew something was up the other night during his “press conference” when it looked like his hair wasn’t combed.

  • trgahan

    Is now the time to throw up the map of the ratio of federal tax dollars consumed per amount paid by state?

    How would Romney respond to being shown that those “hard working, bootstrap” red states require more government assistance to merely function than any of those “welfare ridden” blue ones.

    Maybe its time Texas get off the dole and take some responsibility, eh?

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Romney is right about one thing: the “message of lower taxes” doesn’t resonate with poor and lower-middle-income Americans, but not for the reasons he thinks.

    “Tax cuts” don’t help anyone who’s not already making a ton of money. For these people, taxes (meaning, their own) are not what’s keeping them down. And I doubt there are very many who truly believe, instinctively, that massively cutting the taxes of those who are significantly higher up on the income scale than they are (and therefore will see significant savings) will actually be good for them.

    Look at this quote from Joe Scarborough yesterday:

    I believe conservative policies help 100% of Americans, I don’t believe it helps the 1%. I really do believe that you don’t help the waiters and waitresses that want to get a better job by raising taxes on … job creators, I just believe it. … I believe in my heart of hearts that the way you help those waiters go to college, go to tech school, and create a better life for themselves is to get the Federal Government off the backs of business owners, cutting taxes, cutting regulations…”

    I’m sure a lot of GOP fans believe this in their “heart of hearts.” The way to help the poor, the unemployed, and low/middle-wage employees, etc. is to help those above them on the income scale. The way to help those who are struggling is to help those who are not struggling. The way to create more opportunities for those at the bottom is to make life easier for those at the top, and expect/hope/wish that the latter will take it upon themselves to offer their increased largesse to the former.

    How cutting the taxes and reducing or eliminating the legal, social and moral obligations of a factory owner in Texas helps a waiter in Connecticut go to tech school, viz., the precise sequence of events between the former and the latter, is never explained. I doubt there are many waiters in Connecticut, or anywhere else for that matter, who believe it, let alone would be persuaded to vote for Mr. Romney by it.

    • Zen Diesel

      I can’t stomach Morning Joke anymore, I just watch Current TV instead.

    • stacib23

      Unfortunately, I was watching when he said that. All I could do was cock my head and say “whaaaaat?”.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/RHGS6OLQA7FQUZV2BMNP7B7UAE Blue

    This is my biggest reason why Romney is not qualified to be president – he has no ‘skin in the game’. With his money over seas (legally or not), he has proven that he does not care about this country.

  • D_C_Wilson

    So, who are the 47%?

    They are the elderly;
    The disabled;
    Active Duty Military Personnel
    The working poor (thank you, Wal-Mart)

    These are the people Mitt Romney thinks are parasites. That the message we need to hammer home.