Super Stupid

North Carolina State Senator David Rouzer, who is running for a seat in the House of Representatives, wants to get rid of the Department of Energy, Commerce, Housing, and Education.

His rationale, if you can call it that, is that he once walked down a hallway at the Department of Energy and saw people reading books.

ROUZER: When I served in the executive branch for about a year and a half, and I learned how the bureaucrats operate. It gives me a lot of insight into how to defund them and get rid of them. When I went over to the Department of Energy one day, you walk down the hall and most of them who are drawing 6-figure salaries are sitting there reading books and reading magazines. Ladies and gentlemen, we can devolve, get rid of the Department of Energy and move some of those responsibilities back to the states. Department of Commerce, same thing. HUD, Housing and Urban Development, same thing. Department of Education. If you look at the decline of education, it started when the federal government got involved in it. That’s another agency.

I sure as shit hope people at the Department of Energy read books.

I would like to know how “the states” will take up the task of monitoring the nation’s nuclear power plants and maintaining our nuclear weapons stockpile which is the responsibility of the Department of Energy.

And why would you want to “devolve?”

I give up.

Earlier this week Rouzer also said we should elect Romney/Ryan so there will be “no more girly men” in control of our foreign policy.

  • JozefAL

    Interesting fact (something Mr Rouzer could have learned from “books” or even the internet): While the Dept of Education is a separate cabinet department now thanks to the Carter Administration’s decision to split it from the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, the previous department was first proposed by (Republican) President Harding and officially created by (Republican) President Eisenhower. Of course, neither of those men would be welcomed in today’s GOP.

    • D_C_Wilson

      No former republican president would be welcome in today’s GOP. Hell, they’re even in deep denial about Bush’s existence.

  • agrazingmoose

    Well, Palin already spelled it out to us. Conservatives don’t like reading – for themselves or anyone else.

    But…surely for one to want to “devolve,” one must believe in evolution. Gasp. Republican, you say?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Would not surprise me the least if this idjut could not read, he’s that phobic of books.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Kevin-Krupski/100002308768984 Kevin Krupski

    $100 bucks says that he say them reading books and magazines in a little room called “Emploee Lounge” Seeing that they want to get rid of lunch breaks it would not surprise me one bit.