The Death of the Republican Party?

The far-right is losing its shpadoinkle over the awkward, struggling Romney campaign. My Wednesday column examines who, exactly, is responsible for the uncertain future of the Republican Party:

Holy hell, if we were only that lucky. Rush Limbaugh and his legion imitators in right-wing talk radio have lapsed into a collective freakout regarding the upshot of the dueling conventions and the polling numbers that point to the likely re-election of the president (if the election were held today). It’s not surprising given Mitt Romney’s pathetically awkward campaign against a much sharper and aggressive campaign from the president and the Democrats.

Rush Limbaugh led the charge with a rather fatalist comment about the future of the party, “If Obama wins, let me tell you what it’s the end of: The Republican Party. There’s gonna be a third party that’s gonna be oriented toward conservatism. I know Rand Paul thinks libertarianism. And I know if Obama wins, the Republican Party is gonna try to maneuver things so conservatives get blamed.”

Laura Ingraham joined in, “If you can’t beat Barack Obama with this record, then shut down the party. Shut it down, start new, with new people. Because this is a gimme election, or at least it should be.”

Interesting. It’s almost as if they compared notes considering how they said, you know, the exact same thing… Continue reading here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    I just love this idea of “if only Romney were more conservative!” They brought that out against McCain too… they’re the guys you voted for!

    If Republicans really want someone who’s batshit insane, they would’ve elected Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich or Herman Cain, they had the opportunity to do so and they were all the front-runner at one point and once Americans got a closer look, they said “oh hell no” and pulled the lever for Romney.

    And they don’t want libertarianism either, otherwise they would’ve voted for Ron Paul at least once… the dude’s only been running for President since the 80s.

  • BenAu

    “The fatal flaw of the party has been the abandonment of its principles in lieu of the unhinged Syphilitic tea party dementia infecting what’s left of its brain” – I love how you can turn a phrase, Bob!

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    The Republicans are gong of failed logic. Despite the economy President Obama is the most liked pol in the country. Romney picking Paul Ryan from the worst congress in history was lauded by the right wing but now they are seeing what a liability he is. The GOP just has a terrible dearth of political talent now like the Dems did after Clinton until Obama emerged.

  • mzmijewski

    They can thank the Koch Brothers. These guys wrote the platform for the GOPKB -Grand ole Party of the Koch Brothers. Their money got the Tea Baggers up and running fast. We can hope that all that money they poured into R-money’s campaign will go to waste.

    And don’t rule out the Voter ID laws either — they were designed to help Romney and none of the polling outfits are taking them into consideration.

    This is what worries me. This and the incredible torrents of money the RW billionaires are pouring into this race.

      Me too, Nicole. While I believe that the 2000 election was essentially stolen by SCOTUS on behalf of the GOP, I think this election may very well end up being stolen for the GOP again but this time because of the voting manipulations and the influx of cash. I don’t want to start sounding paranoid like a wingnutter (because they think any election a Rethug doesn’t win must have been stolen) BUT it seems their tactics have crossed a line of sorts.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I think reports of the death of the Republican Party are greatly exaggerated, just as they were in 2008. I agree that Romney can, and probably will, still win.

    After 2006 and 2008, instead of re-examining their positions, ideas and past actions, Republicans reacted by creating a paracosm (or by letting Fox, Beck, Limbaugh, et al. create one for them) and putting on an improv act from within that paracosm, drawing more and more Americans into their alternate reality. (One could argue that the paracosm started to take shape in 2003, being the world in which Saddam Hussein had WMDs, planned the 9/11 attacks, and was a dire, direct and immediate threat to the U.S., and where the invasion of Iraq was anything other than an historically, catastrophically bad idea.) The paracosm will only continue to grow after 2012 no matter who wins. The GOP’s improv act/fever dream will increasingly become America’s reality.

    Republicans won elections in 2002, 2004, 2010 and very likely in 2012 by getting large numbers of people to freak out about imaginary threats, believing Republicans were the only ones who could protect/save them. There’s no reason to believe this time-worn political and psychological strategy (see: Lord of the Flies, ch. 9) will not continue to work.

      Just curious, what is the strategy to combat and destroy a paracosm? Are moderates and liberals capable of destroying the right’s delusions? I think a massive and continuous campaign of advertising reality would do the trick but the effort and money it would take to catch up and overtake the paracosm is probably beyond our ability-particularly without the help of a Fourth Estate (speaking of, didn’t Jon Stewart mention this the other night during the interview with Austan Goolsbee?)

      So what would it take (historically speaking)? Or does the paracosm eventually collapse like a very old, dying sun, into itself to form a black hole?

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Someone inside has to lead them out. Someone important and influential enough, who lives in the paracosm but knows it’s a paracosm, has to take the initiative and start to slowly dismantle it from the inside, but has to do so without being thrown out of it and driving the rest deeper in.

        Either that, or the rest of us have to be vigilant enough to keep anyone else from falling in, and wait for it to become so small that it collapses on its own.

        In any case, I guess the answer is no; moderates and liberals are not capable of destroying the Right’s delusions. Only the Right can do that.

          “moderates and liberals are not capable of destroying the Right’s delusions. Only the Right can do that.”

          Now THAT is the scariest thing I’ve heard all year.

        • bphoon

          I think, rather, that a paracosm will eventually rot from within and implode. Since it’s fantasy, it’s not sustainable. While mob mentalities are very dynamic and can be explosive, they usually burn out in a relatively short amount of time.

          It would probably lessen the time line of the current paracosm’s collapse if someone from within would dismantle it but I think the more germane question is whether anyone could dismantle it from within without being thrown out. For one thing, the flesh and blood folks who people this one aren’t particularly noted for courage, moral or otherwise, in the face of the withering attacks launched on anyone who deviates one iota from the party line. One by one they buckle and surrender: see one John McCain, a true example of courage and a real-live American hero if ever there was one. Had he remained the John McCain we knew from his earlier career, he might have had a chance to become President. But, he buckled and surrendered to the extremists out of fear of being cast aside for not being sufficiently pure.

          Maybe I’m being starry-eyed naive, but I have to believe that enough Americans will eventually catch on to the fraud being perpetrated by the right wing to bring about such an implosion. I only hope it doesn’t take so long that they’re able to inflict irreparable damage to our nation before their inevitable collapse.

    • D_C_Wilson

      “Republicans won elections in 2002, 2004, 2010 and very likely in 2012 by getting large numbers of people to freak out about imaginary threats, believing Republicans were the only ones who could protect/save them.”

      But I think that’s actually a flaw in the GOP’s campaign this year. People aren’t buying into the “Vote republican or the terrorists will kill you” line any more. What they’re seeing now is that, every time Mittens tries to stick his nose into foreign policy, he falls flat on his face. And they still don’t have an adequate counter to “Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive”, which is why Rush has to keep spinning out conspiracy theories to explain away how the Atheist/Muslim/terrorist apologist could have pulled that off.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        “People aren’t buying into the “Vote republican or the terrorists will kill you” line any more.”

        No, but they’re buying into the “Vote Republican or Obama will take away your freedom and turn America into the Soviet Union and bankrupt the country and enslave white people and throw Christians into concentration camps” line.

        • D_C_Wilson

          I don’t even see that getting enough traction except among people who were never going to vote for Obama anyway.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Regardless, the point is that they need to characterize Obama as profoundly threatening, and get people to see him that way, in order to frighten them into voting Republican.

  • bphoon

    The fatal flaw of the [Republican] party has been the abandonment of its principles in lieu of the unhinged Syphilitic tea party dementia infecting what’s left of its brain and forcing it to simply attack a fictitious caricature of President Obama, whether it means contradicting prior Republican ideas (cap and trade, individual mandate, etc.) or literally sabotaging the economy for political gain.

    This statement should be engraved in stone and highlighted at every Democratic National Convention as long as the Tea Party exists.

    Based on the statements you quote, Bob, from Limbaugh and Ingraham, I definitely see a third party on the horizon if the President is re-elected, especially if the GOP fails to re-take the Senate and loses seats in the House. Get ready for the Limbaugh Party. Wait–isn’t that what the GOP is right now?