The Latest Romney Dogwhistle

Mitt Romney isn’t so much doubling-down on the welfare-for-nothing dogwhistle as he is tripling-down. The claim has been debunked numerous times, but as recently as yesterday evening, Mitt Romney was still alleging that President Obama wants to give you welfare for nothing.

In an interview with FOX News Wednesday ahead of Clinton’s speech, Romney fiercely defended the attack and specifically accused Obama of using it to rile up “his base.”

“Well, I’m not sure exactly what President Clinton will say, but there’s no question that President Obama’s decision to say that we’re going to allow waivers or excuses from work requirements in welfare was designed to shore up part of his base that may not be inclined to go out and vote in the same kind of energy and passion as they did four years ago,” Romney said.

There’s actually multiple parts to this dogwhistle.

First he claims the president will allow you to make excuses not to work. Then he suggests he’s doing this to shore up his base. Wink. Nod. And then he implies the base is lazy. Another wink. Another nod.

The good news is Bill Clinton dismantled this argument last night, and the even better news is that Bill Clinton will be campaigning for the president in the Midwest over the next two months. Places where, unfortunately, this kind of argument plays well.

And if Bill Clinton can’t play racist whisperer and calm the nerves of angry white people, no one can.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    “Hey, everyone! Racism works!” ~ Mitt Romney 2012

  • trgahan

    Yesterday, I attended an event where Orrin Hatch made the argument that A) the bottom 50% of the don’t pay income taxes, but B) they receive tax breaks and refunds in excess of what they contribute in taxes and C) most of that 50% receive benefits and taxes well beyond their (and their employers) contribution in taxes and D) the top % in this country pay the more than what they receive.

    So basically, he said “Poor people have it so good in this country and the wealthy are so burdened!” I know his entire argument is easily debunked and since he’s in the cross hair of the Tea Party he’s got to through red meat, but alas the speech was to an audience who did nothing but nod and say “hell yeah!”

  • stacib23

    Every flippin’ day I go home from work and ask my mother if it’s been reported yet where we pick up our free checks that Romney said Obama has made available for his base. So far, nothing, but I’ll keep looking.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    The only bright side I can take away from this is that the fear mongering, off-the-rails jebus party of bigots & bullshit only has dog whistles left. They are so tied up in their own reality that they have no alternative but to continue lying and pandering to the same old white anger to increase voter turn-out of their dwindling base. They have not expanded their appeal to any other demographic group for decades as evidenced by their voter suppression efforts. Republicans depend on keeping white evangelical racists scared for a big voter turn-out, but despite Chuck Norris’ boogieman ad, I don’t think they’ve succeeded this year.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      After watching that boogyman ad of his, it’s obvious Chuck Norris has taken one too many blows to his head in his lifetime.