This Is Way Out Of Line

Karl Rove is very worried about failing to win the senate in November thanks, in part, to Todd Akin’s “legitimate” rape comments.

On the final morning of the Republican National Convention, Karl Rove took the stage at the Tampa Club to provide an exclusive breakfast briefing to about 70 of the Republican Party’s highest-earning and most powerful donors. During the more than hour-long session, Rove explained to an audience dotted with hedge fund billionaires and investors—including John Paulson and Wilbur Ross—how his super PAC, American Crossroads, will persuade undecided voters in crucial swing states to vote against Barack Obama. He also detailed plans for Senate and House races, and joked, “We should sink Todd Akin. If he’s found mysteriously murdered, don’t look for my whereabouts!”

Then Rove pleaded with his audience for more money—much more.

Todd Akin is an epic buffoon and misogynist, but joking about murdering him is completely out of bounds.

And the consider the fact that Rove doesn’t necessarily disagree with anything Todd Akin said. He’s simply upset that Todd Akin made his job harder.

This behind-the-scenes peek at a Karl Rove pow-wow from Bloomberg’s Businessweek is an enlightening tale of what is discussed in “quiet rooms.”

The best part is the revelation that Democratic messaging really is working.

Rove spoke almost exclusively about defeating Barack Obama and retaking control of the White House. There was sparse praise for Mitt Romney—either as a candidate or as a future leader and policy maker.

One of the few Romney mentions was by Haley Barbour, who jumped in to explain how Democrats hoped to define the nominee: “You know, ‘Romney is a vulture capitalist who doesn’t care about the likes of you. He doesn’t even know people like you—he’ll lay you off, cancel your insurance, shit jobs. He’s a plutocrat. Married to a known equestrian!’”

I propose a toast to David Axelrod, Stephanie Cutter, and everyone else at OFA.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Brutlyhonest

    Rove should be in jail, not running a high-dollar, high-stakes propaganda machine. If only issa had been chairman at the time. He would have surely held rove in contempt for refusing to appear before a congressional committee.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Nah. Darrell Issa would be willfully using his tounge to clean up Karl Rove’s anus, he’s that much of a right wing toady.

  • WRinDTW

    I think turnabout is fair play. If the Romney campaign can build an entire convention around the lie that is the ‘We built it’ theme, I think the Dems are within their rights to use this new quote just as freely – apparently Haley Barbour said: “You know, Romney is a vulture capitalist who doesn’t care about the likes of you. He doesn’t even know people like you—he’ll lay you off, cancel your insurance, shit jobs. He’s a plutocrat. Married to a known equestrian!” Barbour did say that, right? His words out of his mouth…

    “I propose a toast to David Axelrod, Stephanie Cutter, and everyone else at OFA.”

    Co-sign. Best dem campaign I’ve ever seen.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I love the smell of Republican desperation in the morning. It smells like… victory.