70 Percent of Latinos Prefer President Obama

According to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Telemundo poll, President Obama is currently leading Mitt Romney among Latino voters by 45 percent.

Obama leads Romney 70 percent to 25 percent among likely Latino voters (and 69 percent to 23 percent among registered voters), a slight uptick for Romney from the 70 percent to 25 percent lead the president held a month ago. [...]

More Hispanics than last month said they are either a 9 or 10 (on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest) on a measure of their enthusiasm for this election. Sixty-eight percent of likely Latino voters rated their enthusiasm at that level, up from 59 percent last month. But that is off from the 76 percent who said they were in that highest-interest group at this time four years ago. And it is below the 76 percent who are 9s and 10s in the wider NBC/WSJ poll. [...]

The debates appear to have had little impact with Latinos in the poll, which was conducted entirely after the second presidential debate. Just 14 percent said they are now more likely to vote for Romney while 48 percent said it made them more likely to vote for Obama, and 35 percent said it made no difference.

At this point it’s not news that Latino voters prefer President Obama over Mitt Romney, however what you can take away from this is that Romney’s mad dash to the center, his attempt to distance himself from Kris Kobach, the father of “Papers Please,” and his pitch on immigration during the second presidential debate has failed to make a serious impact.

Are Republicans worried about their chances in future elections if they’re losing the Latino vote by such a wide margin? A Republican path to electoral victory is more precarious if Arizona becomes a swing state and Nevada is out of their reach.

By the way, if a 10 point number scale is what we’re using to judge “likely voters,” I think we need a new metric.

    The smarter Rs are very worried about the shifting demographics of the US. Even Lindsey Graham (!) has publicly admitted as much.

    The base, though, clings desperately to the fantasy that people who look and think like they do can continue to win elections indefinitely (a belief encouraged by the likes of voter-fraud fraud Hans von Spakovsky). If Arizona goes from red to pink to beige, the base will throw a fit; if Arizona goes even the palest shade of blue, the base will go into a rage.

    Oh, how I wish for a sane conservative political party in the US.

    –alopecia

    • MrDHalen

      When I put my tinfoil hat on, I see the theories of the Right-Wing thinkers in play :-)

      1. Tell white men the brown men are going to rape & pillage everything they have.

      2. Stop white women from having abortions to preserve the majority for as long as possible.

      3. Disrupt the government’s ability to counter our strip mining of the nation’s wealth.

      4. Shelter money overseas.

      5. Have the private jets and personal security ready to fly out when the house of cards falls.

    Obama leads Romney 70 percent to 25 percent among likely Latino voters (and 69 percent to 23 percent among registered voters), a slight uptick for Romney from the 70 percent to 25 percent lead the president held a month ago.

    Is this blog the only place left where people can simultaneously think and write? Remove the parenthetical phrase above and what does that sentence say? Somehow the 70:25 ratio today is better for Rmoney than the 70:25 ratio of a month ago?

    What the everlovin’ fuck? Am I missing something?

    • JMAshby

      I think that was just a case of poor sentence structure and the latter figure was concerning registered voters.

  • MrDHalen

    70 %, geez, it should be 90%!!!