Acts of Terror and Candy Crowley

Right on cue, Fox News Channel and AM radio are hanging Candy Crowley in effigy for fact-checking Romney’s “acts of terror” assertion during the climactic section of last night’s debate.

Worse, even with the transcript of the president in hand, these idiots continue to say the president didn’t use the phrase “acts of terror” in regards to the attack. Not only did he say those exact words, as Crowley and the president noted last night, but he used the singular tense “act of terror” about Benghazi the next day within a speech in Las Vegas.

Oh and here’s a shocker. Paul Ryan is lying about it, too.

“It was a passing comment about acts of terror in general, it was not a claim that this was a result of a terrorist attack,” Ryan said on ABC’s “Good Morning America. “Nobody believed at that Rose Garden speech that the president was suggesting that particular attack was an act of terror.”

Here’s the transcript of the president’s Rose Garden address the day after the attack.

“No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.”

And the next day in Las Vegas:

“No act of terror will dim the light of the values that we proudly shine on the rest of the world, and no act of violence will shake the resolve of the United States of America.”

If he didn’t want to refer to the attacks as “terror” he would’ve said “no extremists…” or “no loss of our finest brothers and sisters…” or “no attack…”

Besides, if he hadn’t said “terror” right away, so what? Would that have somehow diminished the administration’s response? Did Bush’s use of the word after 9/11 bring back any lost lives or make up for his administration’s failure to prevent it? Personally, I would rather have a president who was strong but sensible in the wake of such an attack rather than someone who pops off and invades the wrong country.

Ultimately, the far-right is digging deep to extricate their candidate from this one. Additionally, their misplaced anger fails to mitigate the president’s most powerful moments on this topic when he turned to Romney and, with the force of Commander-in-Chief, said, “And the suggestion that anybody in my team, whether the Secretary of State, our U.N. Ambassador, anybody on my team would play politics or mislead when we’ve lost four of our own, governor, is offensive. That’s not what we do. That’s not what I do as president, that’s not what I do as Commander in Chief.”

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    This was a political masterstroke. Romney was a victim of Fox News and rightwing talking points. The president opened the door for Romney, and then slammed it on his ass.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Color me shocked: Instead of talking about all the lies Rmoney told last night, the corporate media is allowing the rwnj’s to set the narrative.

  • Draxiar

    That was a well deserved and righteous backhand bitch slap to Romney. While I do not hang an election win or lose on one moment, this moment certainly was one that will go a long way for President Obama.

  • nebraskapatriot

    You selectively edit the transcript and only post that portion which you interpret to your favor. You are as deceitful as Obama. The question remains very simply, if witless Obama wanted us to believe it was an act of terrorists, which he knew it to be, then why for weeks did he continue to say it was an act of spontaneity? Continuing the deceit and directing his UN Ambassador to repeat the known lie five times in one morning, his press secretary to repeatedly deceive and for the idiot at 1600 PA Avenue to address the United Nations himself with his clam bake lie that a video that no one has seen caused the death of four Americans. GET REAL

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Then you come back with what you think is appropriate transcript editing. And while you’re at it, learn to play some fucking football at U of Nebraska.

      • i_a_c

        And while you’re at it, learn to play some fucking football at U of Nebraska.

        I sure wish we would ;_; You guys took us to the woodshed.

        • BuffaloBuckeye

          As soon as both teams learn how to play defense, all will be right in the world. Good luck against N’western this week

    • mrbrink

      You’re such a liar and you’re lying to yourself.

      Republicans don’t care about Benghazi or a loss of lives. You don’t really care about protecting free speech.

      Republicans don’t care about jobs and the economy. They’ve been openly conspiring to sabotage the American economy, and you let them! You don’t really care about spending, or the debt and deficit. The president’s managing the current deficit, cutting into it, which is the Republican party legacy. One trillion inherited= one trillion carried year to year= Current total deficit. A GOP deficit and rolling over like unused cell phone minutes that give you brain clouds, apparently.

      Republicans don’t care about military service, or strong leadership, either. Mitt Romney is your party’s nominee for Commander In Chief.

      Republicans don’t care about flag desecration, or patriotism, or flag pins, or September 11th. Confederates don’t care about the American flag, or New York City.

      Republicans don’t care whether the president is a Christian, or loves the Bible. Your concern for Religious freedom is also a lie.

      Republicans don’t care about democracy and the vote. Your concern for voter fraud is a lie.

      Republicans don’t care about flip-flopping, or “before it before you were against it.” Your concern for an honest candidate is a lie. You are the Liar in Chief party.

      Republicans don’t care about “family values,” or “American values.”

      Rule of law.

      Energy independence.

      Women’s rights.

      Child safety.

      Reducing abortions.

      Republicans don’t actually care about anything they claim to care about. It’s all one big deceit stew.

      You’re living a lie.

    • Nefercat

      “You selectively edit the transcript”

      Just as soon as you disavow this particularly republican talent (proudly and knowingly citing Obama quoting McCain as a stand alone Obama quote, and of course the purposeful lie about the “you didn’t build that” quote; the republicans are so devoid of actual ideas or even patriotism that they built their entire convention around a deliberate lie) then I might consider the rest of your comment worth reading.

      No, never mind. I can’t imagine that it would be worth the time.

      You selectively edit the transcript and only post that portion which you interpret to your favor.

      Now, this is really rich, coming from a supporter, obviously, of a party that thinks nothing of selectively editing video or audio in order to willfully misrepresent the record to gain some perceived political advantage.

      Lie: 1) a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood. 2) something intended or serving to convey a false impression. 3) an inaccurate or false statement. (From dictionary.com)

      Get a grip, sporty.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    The POTUS telling Romney that his accusations against “my team” were “offensive” was a pulse-raising moment. What the President said was:

    And the suggestion that anybody in my team, whether the Secretary of State, our U.N. Ambassador, anybody on my team would play politics or mislead when we’ve lost four of our own, governor, is offensive. That’s not what we do. That’s not what I do as president, that’s not what I do as Commander in Chief.

    What he meant was:

    Don’t you fucking dare talk about my people that way, you asshole. These are good people who serve their country with courage and resolve every minute of every day. Who the fuck are you?

    And this bullshit about “Oh, he was talking about acts of terror as a general matter, not this particular incident,” is just that, bullshit. I’ll say it again, if a guy says to his girlfriend, “No skanky whore is going to tell me what to do,” I don’t care what anyone thinks, he just called her a skanky whore. Somehow I doubt she’d buy it when he claims he was talking about skanky whores as a general matter.