Appeals Court Reinstates Early Voting in Ohio

Good news — a federal court of appeals has ruled against the state of Ohio and reinstated early voting during the final three days of the election.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A federal appeals court has reinstated in-person early voting in battleground Ohio on the final three days before Election Day, returning discretion to local boards of elections.

A panel of the 6th U.S. Court of Appeals in Cincinnati ruled Friday in a case targeting a state law that ends early voting for most residents on the Friday evening before a Tuesday election.

As a resident of Ohio I can say that I personally received mail from the state informing me that all early voting must conclude before the final three days of the election. That is now no longer the case and early voting can continue during the final three days at the discretion of local election officials.

This ruling should not be confused with an earlier ruling that invalidated Secretary of State Jon Husted’s decree to limit early voting hours.

(h/t Jason Kalafat Attorney at Law)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bphoon

    I guess there’s some hope for We the People after all…here and there…

  • SlapFat

    “This ruling should not be confused with an earlier ruling that invalidated Secretary of State Jon Husted’s decree to limit early voting hours.”

    How are these two rulings on different matters? I’m pretty sure they both regarded the 3 day period before the election regarding early voting.

    • bphoon

      As I followed this, there is a provision in the law that does away with early voting evening hours throughout the early voting period. That is the only time of day when most early voting working people (who presumably vote majority Democratic) would have access to the polls. The earlier ruling reinstated the evening voting hours. That is a separate issue from the provision that did away with early voting during the last three days before the election, also a time where a majority of people voting cast ballots for Democrats.

      • SlapFat

        Thank you for the explanation. It was not entirely clear to me how these rulings were on different matters, but you have elucidated that for me.