Even Worse Than You Thought

I honestly believed Romney holding a sham “relief event” in Ohio yesterday was the height of shamelessness, but it turns out the event was even worse than you thought.

It’s the soup kitchen sequel.

[T]he last-minute nature of the call for donations left some in the campaign concerned that they would end up with an empty truck. So the night before the event, campaign aides went to a local Wal Mart and spent $5,000 on granola bars, canned food, and diapers to put on display while they waited for donations to come in, according to one staffer. (The campaign confirmed that it “did donate supplies to the relief effort,” but would not specify how much it spent.) [...]

As supporters lined up to greet the candidate, a young volunteer in a Romney/Ryan t-shirt stood near the tables, his hands cupped around his mouth, shouting, “You need a donation to get in line!”

Empty-handed supporters pled for entrance, with one woman asking, “What if we dropped off our donations up front?”

The volunteer gestured toward a pile of groceries conveniently stacked near the candidate. “Just grab something,” he said.

We want you to have something in your hand to donate for a photo-op, so if you didn’t bring something, just grab whatever Romney’s campaign aides purchased at Wal Mart and make it appear as if you’re donating.

Judging by this photo, which does not depict the Gatorade, paper towels, and toilet paper behind the table, it doesn’t appear that very much more than $5,000 worth of goods was donated. And as we’ve already pointed out, the Red Cross would rather have $5,000 in cash than creamed corn and peas.

This story wouldn’t be as bad if the campaign hadn’t pretended that it was a serious event or if Romney had simply cut a check and made it public knowledge. As it is this is an insult to Ohio voters, victims of Hurricane Sandy, and the people who attended the event who probably felt pretty good about themselves going home not knowing it was staged.

(photo via Getty Images)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Kevin-Krupski/100002308768984 Kevin Krupski

    Why is this NOT front Page news! This man want to be the President, The leader of The USA, the guy with the hand on the nuclear football and he can’t even go one day without being called out on a totally false claim (which he doubles down on)I do not know what is worse, that the media is not doing there jobs for “rating” or the this election “is” this close.

  • Draxiar

    How the holy bloody fuck can people vote for this “human”? I’m asking in all seriousness. How many blind eyes can one lend to a souless, bloosdsucking, opportunistic automaton like that of Mitt Romney?

    I want reasons…justification…rationalization…some fucking logic! Anything that might help me understand how anyone can cast a vote for this fuckmonkey!

    GAH!

    • atlavely

      He’s white. No other justification needed for half the citizens, apparently.

    • nasani

      “I want reasons…justification…rationalization…some fucking logic! ”

      My attempt: “The people who will vote for Romney, no matter what want to get rid of the black guy. Period. Nothing else matters.” This is the best reason/justification/ rationalization/logic, I can think of.

  • http://twitter.com/GratuitousWorld Matt

    not charity. Romney just going long on granola futures.

  • joe73072

    Typical. He gets others to do the work. And he takes the credit.

  • gescove

    I started out this campaign season disagreeing with Rmoney’s policies and politics. This has morphed into a searing hatred of the man himself. I am increasingly convinced that he is, in fact, a sociopath.

    • laddieluv

      …he absolutely is…one in 25 people IS a sociopath…and there are so many of the non-violent variety…all about “me”…all about the “win”…no real “gene” in the DNA for genuine caring…lying like they breathe…and THE best manipulators on the planet…can convince you the sky is black when it’s blue IF you are emotionally “needy”/vulnerable et al…scary…the only way to get “rid” of one from your life is to absolutely IGNORE them…(I have personal experience/did a lot of study/research when one “hooked” into someone I love and by extension, the periphery of my life…still have nightmares about it…’cuz this person still “lurks”)…so yes, Romnutz IS a sociopath…without question….

      • gescove

        “… lying like they breathe…” – yes. I am astounded at how effortlessly and convincingly Rmoney can lie. What is also breathtaking is that half the electorate is being manipulated into believing this empty suit. Scary as hell.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Typical Romney logic. Why do anything useful when an empty photo op will do just as well?

  • tommo

    It is EXACTLY what I thought it was. I also blogged about how he and some flunkies were carrying the same cases of bottled water back and forth from one van to another to look busy for the photo ops. I recon you’ll find this also to be true. What a bunch of pond scum. They should be run out of town on a rail. Instead the Repiglickin’s might actually get this sorry excuse for a human being elected. Sheesh!

  • mrbrink

    This is my soap box. There are many others like it but this one is mine! My soapbox is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my soapbox is useless. Without my soapbox I am useless. I must shout my bullshit true. I must shout my bullshit faster than my enemy, myself, who is trying to kill me. I must shout at him before he shouts at me. I will. Before some God I swear this creed: my soapbox and myself are defenders of myself, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.