Everything is a Conspiracy

The polls are a conspiracy. Lower unemployment is a conspiracy. Libya is a conspiracy. And apparently the GDP is a conspiracy.

via Media Matters

At 1:20

Hemmer: We just mentioned government spending has increased, what’s that about?

Varney: Well here you’ve got a positive number of 2 percent growth. They’re gonna spin it positively right before the election. Dig deeper, look inside that report, and you see a big 9.6 percent jump in government spending.

There is some suspicion that these numbers have been juiced by government spending, deliberately, in that report, right before the election.

Is Fox News alleging that the same cadre of infiltrators who compromised the Bureau of Labor Statistics has also penetrated the Department of Commerce? Did they rope in from silent, black helicopters? Do they wear disguises?

The increase in government spending during the third quarter came from an increase in defense spending. Is Fox News suddenly opposed to defense spending? Team Romney has been quite outspoken recently in an attempt to paint the president as weak on defense spending. Is Fox News saying they’re wrong?

I shouldn’t have to point it out, but I feel that I must point out that the president cannot simply choose to spend that kind of money on his own. And if there was an upstick in government spending, it would be something congress signed off on. That includes the Republican-controlled House of Representatives.

    There is some suspicion that these numbers have been juiced by government spending, deliberately, in that report, right before the election.

    But that’s not what Righties have been arguing for four decades. “Gummint spend munnies, make ‘conomy go bad!” is the Righty creed. And yet government spending is now blamed (‽) for a rise in GDP.

    Wow.

    That’s one of the propaganda wing’s prime directives: Anything bad is the fault of whatever Democrat has any power – tying in a conspiracy gets a bonus. Conversely, everything good is directly creditable to a rwnj; failing that, a liberal conspiracy exists that created said good news.

    The saddest part, to me, is that you can’t get away from the willfully ignorant anywhere. It doesn’t matter the site you go to. No matter how far removed from politics the content seems to be, if there is a comment section there will be at least one right-wing troll attempting to dominate the conversation by blaming Obama, Reid & Pelosi for something and spewing BS talking points.

  • JWheels

    By their logic all of Keynesian economics is actually a conspiracy. First they say a government job isn’t a real job, now government spending isn’t real economic activity? Last time I checked dollars are dollars no matter who spends them, unless of course it’s the Federal Reserve spending them on bonds to change the interest rate.

    The basic equation for gross domestic product is as follows:
    GDP = C + I + G + (X – M)
    or
    Private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports – imports)

    This is basically derived from spending, although you could also look at it from the perspective of income in the total economy, but the point is it doesn’t matter where the dollars come from as long as they go into the economy, that boosts GDP. Put in simpler terms, if there’s more money overall in the economy that’s a good thing especially when it’s a deflationary recession.

    Or in terms the GOP would understand: Nhhgggghhhmmmrrrrngnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

    • JMAshby

      The same explanation I end up giving to people who complain about Medicaid or food stamps. All of that money goes back into the economy.

    • muselet

      Nhhgggghhhmmmrrrrngnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

      Average R: Uh, could you dumb that down for me?

      –alopecia

      • JWheels

        you’re right, I will dumb it down just a bit more for them:

        $$$ = :-)

        lol… couldn’t resist, although many of those at the top of the Republican Party know the economics but have different outcomes in mind unfortunately

  • http://www.rubytheairedalepup.com/ Ruby

    It’s a conspiracy unless THEIR in office, THEN, well, it’s just the truth….

    Republican hypocrisy at it’s finest.

  • trgahan

    NPR ran a story yesterday saying economists are predicting, regardless of who wins the election, 12 million jobs will be added in the next four years.

    Romney is saying if elected he will add 12 million jobs in 4 years.

    For the GOP, is this election really about having one of them in the white house when the economy really rebounds on its own? That would be a conspiracy worthy of the great geopolitical power of Kenya.

      “For the GOP, is this election really about having one of them in the white house when the economy really rebounds on its own? That would be a conspiracy worthy of the great geopolitical power of Kenya.”

      No. But they’re aware of it, and they know damn well that if they can get Romney in, in 2016 he’ll be able to say that the economy has been great on his watch (obviously, not because of him) , so reelect me.