George Will: Conservatism Didn’t Fail. White Guilt Failed Conservatism.

Conservative serious person George Will appears to be throwing in the towel today, but not without offering a not-at-all clever excuse for the failure of his party’s platform and their presidential nominee.

That Obama is African American may be important, but in a way quite unlike that darkly suggested by, for example, MSNBC’s excitable boys and girls who, with their (at most) one-track minds and exquisitely sensitive olfactory receptors, sniff racism in any criticism of their pin-up. Instead, the nation, which is generally reluctant to declare a president a failure — thereby admitting that it made a mistake in choosing him — seems especially reluctant to give up on the first African American president. If so, the 2012 election speaks well of the nation’s heart, if not its head.

According to George Will, Americans aren’t willing to give up on President Obama because he’s black. Because Americans would feel guilty about firing the black man. And he says this not just of those darn liberals at MSNBC who, as Will alleges, spot racism in all the wrong places, but also of independents and a limited number of moderate Republican voters.

The implication seems to be that the shared guilt of Americans who are wary of replacing the nation’s first black president represents a sort of reverse-racism that Democrats have commandeered to the detriment of the Great White Hope Mitt Romney.

Will is self-aware enough to not repeat the tired mantra that “conservatism can’t fail, it can only be failed” so this is his way of saying that without saying it. Because in this case conservatism didn’t fail, gullible Americans failed conservatism.

The idea that average Americans simply favor President Obama’s policies because his policies are more beneficial to them doesn’t factor into George Will’s conservative apologia. Will dismisses the notion by citing misleading, out-of-context numbers, Solyndra, and the slow takeoff of electric cars as evidence that Americans are stupid for wanting to re-elect President Obama.

Can’t you see he ruined everything!?

Ahem.

Because Americans are obviously too stupid to see that President Obama’s administration is in “shambles” (but smart enough to know that men like Will are ideologically and morally bankrupt) he consequently reaches the conclusion that white guilt is the root of all Democratic evil.

The election is far from over, and I would not rule out the possibility that the race could tighten between now and November, but this appears to be a preview of what we can expect to see from establishment “thinkers” during the last days of, and those immediately following, the election.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lazarus Durden

    American Conservatism is officially intellectually dead at this point.

  • ffakr

    I think Will truly is the beacon of conservative intelligentsia. His complete lack of rational self awareness certainly doesn’t disqualify him from that role. Rather it simply confirms he’s playing in the correct league.

    Will’s argument:
    ——————–
    “The fact that the Indians felt free to fire Robinson — who went on to have a distinguished career managing four other teams — showed that another racial barrier had fallen: Henceforth, African Americans, too, could enjoy the God-given right to be scapegoats for impatient team owners or incompetent team executives.”

    The obvious implication of Will’s argument:
    —————————————————
    Will is too dense to realize, or doesn’t believe his fans are smart enough to notice, that applying this analogy does not make a persuasive argument for ‘firing’ obama and electing Romney.
    By assuming Will actually believes in his analogy, I would assume the following..

    - The Indians shouldn’t have fired Robinson. He proved to be “distinguished” as a manager and Will tells us he was scapegoated by inpatients and incompetents. The obvious implication is that the supporters of Robinson (the owners of the next 4 teams) were the competent ones.

    By analogy, I can only assume that Will believes that Obama is being scapegoated by incompetents and those too impatient to let him turn things around.

    Mr. Will.
    Between President Obama, the voters, and you; who is Mr. Robinson and who are the impatient incompetents?

    [BTW Will never actually makes any case that he WASN'T fired because of racism, just that his firing was incompetent]

  • incredulous72

    ” . . . the nation, which is generally reluctant to declare a president a failure . . .”

    G W BUSH WAS A PRESIDENTIAL FAILURE!

    Ahhhh; That Was Easy!

  • gescove

    George Will is a pompous, insufferable ass. I want all the time back, with interest please, that I have wasted over the years reading his drivel.

  • i_am_allwrite

    Which Americans are reluctant to declare a presidency a failure? Because even in a nation defined by its short attention span and memory, a majority of us STILL blame Bush more than Obama for the economic ctastrophe. So there’s at least one recent failed presidency we can agree on.

    And by the way, Bush is more popular than Romney. That’s not white guilt: that’s a collective realization that Mitt ( like George Will) is an insufferable dick with dumbshit ideas that have never worked.

  • muselet

    George Will should stick to writing about baseball. Not because he knows more about baseball than he does about politics and government, but because baseball is far less consequential.

    Besides which, the Washington POS’s Sports Editor is more likely than the Opinions Editor to fire him if Will writes something boneheaded.

    Holy fuck! This proves, once and for all, that there isn’t anything in the world “those people” can’t twist in such a way as to be victims.

  • agrazingmoose

    Will has morphed into Buchanan.

  • mrbrink

    This is like reverse white guilt.

    George Will trying to make white people feel guilty about white guilt.

    Well played. A true master-race-debater.

    We gave George W. Bush 8 years to dry hump the treasury, undermine civil rights and liberties, start wars, crash the economy, and say completely ignorant things in our collective name. We lost at least a decade because of George Will’s water carrying for the rape and torture party.

    Obama has ended war. He’s expanded civil rights. He slayed the Bin Laden monster that conservatives used on our national psyche to keep us living in fear. He slowed the growth of spending. Cut taxes. Fuck is Will talking about when he talks about “failure?” Private sector jobs created? A depression averted? U.S. auto industry saved? What?!

    Someone should ask Will whether or not right wing terrorists in Congress and the Senate, think tanks and super pacs, Karl Rove and FOX News deserve the benefit of the doubt?

    George Will wouldn’t know fail if it was trying to fuck his eye through his glasses.

    • incredulous72

      “We gave George W. Bush 8 years to dry hump the treasury . . . ”

      Thanks for the image I can’t get out of my head now, mrbrink.

      Well . . .

      . . . who needs sleep anyway.

      • mrbrink

        I hope your image included a George W. Bush sexy face?

        Ha ha!

        (I am truly sorry.)

        • incredulous72

          Eeewwwww; I’m glad I read this in the morning.

          LOL!

  • bphoon

    It’s amazing to me the rhetorical gymnastics these guys will resort to (Will chief among them) to avoid taking responsibility for championing the most morally bankrupt, inept, transparently egregious set of policy prescriptions we’ve seen, certainly, in our lifetimes.

    Insufferable…

    • mrbrink

      Well said.

  • margietalks

    OK, how is it that George Will even gets to say stuff? This whole argument about the president A. We voted for him because he is black and it eases our collective guilt. B. We will vote for him because we don’t want to admit that we made a mistake for voting for him. ..drives me nuts! I could start pitching furniture across the room – it just pisses me off that much.
    Let me clue George, and any other crack pot with this stupidhead reasoning, in on a few things. When Barack Obama was running against McCain. It struck me that McCain was always angry and working hard to get the answer just right. This is the same thing that Mitt Romney is doing. He is trying to say the right thing – both these men could never answer a question from their heart. It is the biggest turn off in the world. Mr Obama and now President Obama – though he is a politician – does seem to come off as genuine. And for God sake, he smiles sometimes. I love that about him. And maybe George Will, sitting there with his snotty, pompous attitude and that cheap hair piece thinks he has all the answers. I’ll clue him in on something – try this on for size – the voters voted for Obama in 2008 and will vote for him again in 2012 not because of his color but because they like him. Simple – put me in there ABC – George Will is done!

  • D_C_Wilson

    Will is peddling the same racial animosity and resentment that bottom feeders like Limbaugh do every day. He just dresses it up in more refined language.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    George Will is showing his racist side. He supported Bush in 2004 who at the time presided over a war that was built on lies after giving up the worst terror attack in history. Bush created over 3 million less jobs than Obama did in his last three years during his first term. Bush added two wars and tax cuts all to the national debt all unfunded.

    So Bush was reelected off of affirmative action white entitlement period.

    Meanwhile Obama brought us back from the brink and grew the number of jobs for almost three years now. He saved the auto industry. He killed OBL and decimated Al Qaeda with no major terror attacks. He ended the stupid war in Iraq. He passed the unpassable universal HCR law fully funded. He ended DADT and with an XO implemented much of the Dream Act.

    Yet Will says Obama is only winning because he’s black. Now that is just racist.

  • trgahan

    Like the party he shills for, George just sounds like someone who’s seeing their world view slowly lose influence year after year. He can’t come to grips with the fact that everything he claims to believe in doesn’t have a effect it once did.

    So he tries to comfort himself (and his readers) with magical theories about how they are still right and influential…its just something else preventing their clearly correct point of view from winning the day.