Getting Bin Laden

  • Ned F

    Hypothetical Republican President X would be carved over Teddy Roosevelt on Mt Rushmore and replaced Lincoln on the five dollar bill by now. Those Republicans are just so not 21st century.

  • Draxiar

    It’s easy to say that “any President would have done that” after it was proven to be a successful mission and the right call. What if it had failed? Would it have become a scandal that Republicans would have used as a spiked club to bludgeon Obama with? Would the right have come out and said, “See? He doesn’t belong commanding the troops!”? I’ll leave you to decide.

    It’s easy to look at something that was a success and claim you would have done the same when you have no accountability and nothing to risk by saying so.

    • muselet

      What if it had failed?

      SEE: Operation Eagle Claw; Carter, James Earl Jr.

      –alopecia

      • i_a_c

        Yep. It would have been the Iran Hostage Crisis failure all over again.

        Republicans would never let the issue die, and Obama’s presidency would be over right then and there.

    • D_C_Wilson

      If it had failed, Darrell Issa would have released the names of every Navy Seal involved and given out their families’ home addresses during the impeachment hearings.

  • Treading_Water

    Republicans are great at taking credit or assigning blame, but when it comes to accepting responsibility or giving credit, not so much. The debates and polls are a perfect example. When President Obama was up in the polls, they said it was because the polls were skewed and created a more perfect reality for themselves at UnskewedPolls.com. (kind of like Conservapedia). When RMoney got his debate bump, the polls were suddenly valid again. When President Obama tanked the first debate, there were few if any cries from the left that the questions were planted and the moderator biased, we just said that he really tanked the debate. When RMoney was steamrolled in the second debate, they decided it was because Candy Crowley and the audience conspired to rig it for the President.

    For all their talk of freedom and personal responsibility, the GOP has really just become the party of professional poutraged victims.

  • gescove

    “… voters inappropriately assign foreign policy and military acumen to Republicans…” Bush got kudos for invading the wrong country and showing up in a flight suit on an aircraft carrier under a Mission Accomplished banner. Obama can’t get credit for ending the war in Iraq and taking down Bin Laden. How insane is that?

    • Madam1

      It’s completely and utterly insane. The polls have Obama and Romney tied. WTF! Who are the idiots in the bubble who think the lying stereotypical comic book character plutocrat will do anything other than fuck over the bulk of our electorate so his friends can watch their bottom line grow?

      “showing up in a flight suit on an aircraft carrier under a Mission Accomplished banner”

      You forgot his codpiece, which he badly needed because there’s nothing there, there.

      • Draxiar

        Nicole, you never fail to entertain…good work!

      • gescove

        You HAD to go and remind me… I was THAT close to purging that awful image from my memory.

        • muselet

          Drinking heavily seems to help.

          –alopecia

      • incredulous72