Hunter S. Thompson on George McGovern…

…and George McGovern on Hunter S. Thompson.

I always considered McGovern a well-meaning by-product of an alternative timeline of history that should never have occurred. Had Bobby Kennedy not been assassinated, it’s very likely that he would’ve won in 1968 and ran for re-election in 1972. It’s also likely that Bobby wouldn’t have run at all if JFK hadn’t been murdered in 1963. If the Kennedys had lived, it’s impossible to fully imagine how events would’ve played out.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in History and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Patrick Bjork

    You are calling McGovern a by-product? Dude, how old are you? 16? Only a complete idiot, an ignorant fool would make such an assessment.

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000098740588 Jeremy Grunloh

      Oh, shut the fuck up. That’s not what he was saying at all and you know it.

      Ass.

  • muselet

    The tragedy of all this is that George McGovern, for all his mistakes and all his imprecise talk about “new politics” and “honesty in government”, is one of the few men who’ve run for President of the United States in this century who really understands what a fantastic monument to all the best instincts of the human race this country might have been, if we could have kept it out of the hands of greedy little hustlers like Richard Nixon.

    RIP, George McGovern.

      McGovern was too idealistic for his time and unfortunately, we’ve gone in too far the opposite direction for anyone like him to get elected ever again.

      • muselet

        I’m not sure George McGovern was too idealistic; he did, however, have the bad fortune to run for president against Richard Nixon, a man with a seemingly infinite capacity for throwing mud (making him perhaps the first truly modern politician). No decent human being—something McGovern certainly was—would have stood a chance, and Karl Rove and George W Bush seem to have taken notes and used the same technique against both Al Gore and John Kerry.

        As for your second point, I hope you’re wrong but I fear you’re right.

        –alopecia

        EDITED to neaten up an idiom. Yes, I can be obsessive at times.

  • Not Sayin

    I really love this post. I am reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail ’72 for the first time because the book and I both turn 40 this year.