I’d Like to Hear More From Mr. Gingrich, Please.

Newt Gingrich said Romney lied about cutting taxes. Even better, he said lying is “good politics.”

Newt Gingrich called out Mitt Romney on Sunday for backing off his promise to cut taxes on the wealthy after winning the Republican nomination.

“I think it’s clear he changed,” Gingrich said on NBC’s “Meet The Press” roundtable, admitting that Romney had shifted from wanting to lower taxes on all Americans to promising that his reform plan would not lower taxes paid by the wealthy.

Romney’s pledge is to cut tax rates across the board by 20 percent and recover the lost revenue by closing unnamed credits and deductions for high income earners. The net effect, he says, would be to lower the burden on the middle class and keep effective taxes constant on the rich without increasing the deficit — goals that nonpartisan experts deem mathematically infeasible.

In February, during a GOP primary debate, Romney said, “We’re going to cut taxes on everyone across the country by 20 percent, including the top 1 percent.”

On Wednesday, facing down President Obama, he insisted, “I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans.”

Gingrich said Romney’s inconsistency was “good politics” but violates a conservative belief. “What he said is something that, frankly, true supply-siders don’t necessarily love, but it’s good politics — he said, ‘I will close enough deductions that wealthy Americans will not get a net tax cut,’” the former House speaker said.

Are you seeing this, undecided voters?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • agrazingmoose

    Lying might be good politics, but it isn’t winning politics. These guys need to spend some more time thinking about how the internet works – and those darned taped comments that they make.

  • missliberties

    Has Mittens thrown the tea party under the bus.

    If you listen carefully, the big money people, are very concerned about an overall slowdown in global economic growth. I have heard some of them comment recently that they prefer Obama, because Romney and his spending cuts will hurt the US economy and the global economy.

    This is no time to stop investing in America.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Mitt and the GOP stopped doing that long agon.

  • mrbrink

    Like Helen Keller at the water pump.

    Breakthrough!

    Kind of feels like the shields are down on the right wing Death Star of bullshit, but because the Farce is strong in these undecideds, we’re still gonna need all the Luke Skywalkers we can get.

    Thank you? Newt Gingrich???

    Weird and creepy.

  • Scopedog

    [facepalm]

    Christ. I have nothing to say to this. I just cannot find the right words to describe this delusional crap.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Speaking of lying sacks of crap, there is a new pro-Rmoney ad running here that is purporting to cite info from a non-partisan group. That group? American Enterprise Institute! To help cover their tracks, they point viewers to a .com website, not aei.org where people would easily see what AEI really is.

  • mark gibbens

    Undecided voters aren’t reading your blog. Assuming they can read.