Pay No Attention to the Neocons Behind ‘Peacenik Mitt’

My Wednesday column debunks the myth of Peacenik Mitt…

Anyone who believed Mitt Romney’s shape-shifting performance as “Peacenik Mitt” on Monday night is an amnesic, naive doofus. As we all know by now, Romney will do and say whatever is necessary to make it through the day. This is his strategy. By now, the Republicans, like the monochromatic lockstep Borg hive they are, will vote for Romney no matter what he says. This liberates Romney to take the form of Sergeant Slaughter one day, then [insert the Transformers switcheroo sound effect here] to the left Code Pink the next day.

However, in reviewing the debate it’s clear that he wasn’t entirely Pacifist Mitt throughout. If you look closely, Romney’s real motives for war made a few subtle appearances.

First, during the debate, we heard statements like this about fighting extremism in the Middle East: “But we can’t kill our way out of this mess.” Peacenik Mitt. Has anyone seen Dennis Kucinich and Mitt Romney in the same room together? Hmm.

Then there was the following about-face minutes later: “Well, my strategy’s pretty straightforward, which is to go after the bad guys, to make sure we do our very best to interrupt them, to — to kill them, to take them out of the picture.”

I’m sure Romney meant to say disrupt them and not “interrupt them,” which is what Romney typically does to debate moderators. [continued]

Continue reading here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    What would make that picture of Romney absolutely perfect would be knowing that the sound Jim Carrey makes in Dumb and Dumber, you know, the most annoying sound in the world, is coming out of Romney’s mouth.

    Something to enhance the experience. Listen to this while looking at that photo of Romney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8FPXYZQGKg

  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    Holy shit! Sully has a post on the “most annoying sound in the world” over at The Dish. With video, too! Synchronicity!

  • rob black

    Dr. Maddow had a piece on last night about how Jr. Bush did the same pivot during his debates with Gore.
    She was far too kind though, in that she said he probably did not intend to be a “war” president and was honestly stating his positions when he said (paraphrasing): …”this is where the v.p. (Gore) and I differ, I don’t believe in nation building or using the military instead of diplomacy”.
    Maddow thought he was planning on being a “peace time president”, and left a vacuum in the administration which was filled by the neocons after we were attacked.
    There is a far more sinister political strategy at work. In the case of Jr., he knew what his foreign policy would look like the second he picked Cheney to be his v.p. (along with all the other left over war whores from Reagan and Daddy’s administrations).
    That is the Cheney group, who have plagued this country since Reagan let them in, and have not the slightest hesitancy to use war as a tool, not only to win elections, but to stay in power once they get in.
    If we had not been attacked on 9/11, we would have been in Iraq by the 3rd year of Jr.’s term anyway, so that its “victorious” conclusion, would have coincided with the run up for the 04 elections. That is how they plan. War is just another tool in the political box.
    Romney, having sewed up the zombie base, pivots on foreign policy during the debates, in an attempt to rope in a few gullible centrists votes that might be angry at this president about not getting us out of Afghanistan fast enough…or drones..or whatever.
    In fact, once in, Romney would never go to war with Iran. They are far too large and dangerous to fit the bill for any well timed “mission accomplished” moment.
    No, the third year of a tough guy Romney term, would have us at war in Yemen…or Mali? ..or maybe even Somalia. (Think Granada, air strikes on Libya, or even sanction crippled Iraq….).
    The “hippie” Mittens, who showed up at that debate, was as craven a ploy as ever used by Cheney’s yellow elephant brigade. With 17 of his foreign policy advisers straight from Junior’s stable…and Bloody Bill as his debate coach, he’s not just using war as political tool….he’s soaking in it!

  • Ned F

    A friend who grew up in central PA tells me that everyone, including his family, will always vote Republican (not him, he left), every year without fail, because everyone knows you just vote Republican, it’s what you do. I think many voters just assume Mitt will govern from the center, that he really is moderate Mitt, that he just says the stuff he did in the primaries because he had to appeal to the base. He won’t go the Bush route because that was an obvious blunder and Romney has learned the lessons, right? To these folks there are good Republicans and not so good Republicans, but to change parties is like changing religions, it’s not done. Infuriating, but true.

    • D_C_Wilson

      That’s true for a large portion of the electorate. They will vote along party lines no matter who is running, which is so many races come down to being decided by some of the least engaged citizens.

    • MrDHalen

      And this points to the rot that is all over our republic. The historian in me wants these unengaged citizens to pay for their apathy, but the American in me hates to see us so close to failure and the suffering that would follow such failure.

  • burbank_burt
  • D_C_Wilson

    The only thing you need to know about Mitt’s foreign policy plans is to look at who’s got his ear: John Bolton.

    I would not be the least bit surprised that if the GOP wins big, his name gets floated as the new Secretary of State.

    • Ned F

      Nah, …Liz Cheyney